Why do Ohio State QBs not do well in NFL?

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
lmao you are a character.

success of OSU QBs in the NFL......to you equates to OSU vs SEC overall record in bowl games dating back to the 1970's.

sorry but no i don't say "whoops my bad" when i'm not the one in the wrong. i'm not a weakling.

so your take is that their play against elite competition in college doesn’t hold relevance to future success in the nfl? Keep being you, buddy

cdubz11

Liked Posts:
so your take is that their play against elite competition in college doesn’t hold relevance to future success in the nfl? Keep being you, buddy

so your take is a bowl game once every 5 years is highly relevant to this conversation? that is so far down the list of relevancy to my original question i'm not sure how to even respond to you anymore lol.

if i said USC running backs never work out in NFL why is that? would you say well USC loses to SEC in a bowl game once every 5 years so that tells ya the story

lol you see how weird that is to skip straight to record in bowl games vs SEC????

yikes.

Bust

Liked Posts:
Memory recall sort of helps as a qb. Makes those game films much efficient to digest when scouting teams tendencies.

OMFG BATMAN!! FIELDS IS A GENIUS!

Fields scored the highest rating ever on an aptitude test administered by sports psychologist, Dr. Goldman.

The test has been given to over 6,500 professional athletes, and Fields scored in the top 1%. This test focused on the reps needed to learn something and then the ability to recall that later.

For comparison sake, Patrick Mahomes and Josh Allen each scored a 108. Fields scored a 130.

wklink

CBMB refugee
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Seattle Sounders FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I think that looking longer than a coach or two back is not productive. Many of the 'QB Factories' have had coaches or coaching trees that have been in place for quite a while. Oklahoma and Alabama are the first two to come to mind. Both have had either the same head coach or a coach that was an offensive coordinator under the prior head coach. Their systems probably are the reason that these teams produced QBs that were more NFL ready than other colleges.

Ohio State has had a new head coach for the last two years, the two years that Fields has played. Maybe this will have an effect on his preparation to play at the NFL level. Maybe it won't and he will be another missed prospect but it is hard to tell, yet, since this is the first real NFL QB drafted from a Ryan Day system.

In the end though it really is the player that determines the success. If Fields can make that transition from playing in college to playing in the Pros then he will succeed. If not then he will be a backup somewhere else, like most first round selections at the position.

TecmoSuperbOwl

Liked Posts:
Yet ever since Lloyd Carr and Tom Osborne quit they have been total trainwrecks. I would like to see somebody step up and challenge the Buckeyes for once. Maybe now that Indiana is starting to like life as a football school they will pour enough resources (resources they certainly have) behind their program to give it a go. They certainly have the coach.
As a former Bloomington resident of over ten years I'd love to see them finally turn the corner

Varking

Enigma
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Toronto FC
  1. Minnesota Timberwolves
  1. Carolina Panthers
  1. Colorado Avalanche
  1. Florida Gators
It’s simply they just weren’t good pros or were in poor situations. Look at Oregon producing bad QB after bad QB and then there is Justin Herbert. Joe Burrow spent 3 years with OSU and 2 with LSU. Do they get no credit for grooming him? What about Texas Tech QBs until Pat Mahomes showed up?

Justin Fields is a better passer of the football than those guys you listed. He’s smart, humble and hard working. If he fails it won’t be because he went to OSU and UGA in college.

Bust

Liked Posts:
You can say the same thing about Alabama.

Yep. Lot of schools are one and done. Tennessee produced Peyton Manning and Heath Shuler but perusing Shuler's NFL stats as a #3 overall, he was a flat out bust.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
X program never produces good NFL Y position, until it does.

Lot of programs who have produced good NFL QBs have also produced a lot of shit NFL QBs.
Oregon never produces great QBs. Chargers are screwed.

cdubz11

Liked Posts:
You can say the same thing about Alabama.

interesting that Bama and OSU are 2 of best schools for NFL RBs and OLs. i mean makes sense, best schools for OL and RBs aren't going to attract the best QBs usually.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Those QBs weren't football smart.......Fields is a different Beast.....plus he started in Georgia
Yeah, I'm wondering why we are focusing so much Ohio State, but not on the fact that Kirby decided to start Jake Fromme, because reasons...

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah, I'm wondering why we are focusing so much Ohio State, but not on the fact that Kirby decided to start Jake Fromme, because reasons...
However, when Smart ultimately chose Fromm over Fields, Fields showed why he was such a hot prospect. Changing offensive philosophies at Ohio State, Fields finished the 2019 season with 3,273 yards, 41 touchdowns, three interceptions, a 67.2 percent completion percentage, 484 rushing yards and 10 rushing touchdowns, leading the Buckeyes to the College Football Playoff. Meanwhile, Fromm took a step back and finished the year with 2,860 yards, 24 touchdowns, five interceptions and a 60.8 percent completion percentage.

The main sticking point of Fromm over Fields was the offense preached by Smart at Georgia, which utilized the talent around Fromm and emphasized a strong running game while Ryan Day’s offense at Ohio State revolved the offense around Fields airing it out, spreading out formations and utilizing his dual threat ability.

Why Kirby Smart chose Jake Fromm over Justin Fields

Leomaz

Pissing people off the right way!
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
  2. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Craig Krenzel is 1-0 against Kurt Warner

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
maybe better question is why does Ohio St not get better QBs in the past? looking back.....

Haskins
Cardale Jones
JT Barrett
Terrelle Pryor

i understand why none of them worked out. it's more confusing why Ohio St hasn't gotten better QBs in the past. i guess they don't want to go play at a school more known for running backs and defense? guess i cant blame them wanting to go somewhere warmer too. just kinda odd.

but i laugh when people mention Ohio St never produces good NFL QBs. uh yeah cause they've never had Justin Fields lol. and he came from Georgia! funny only way they got an elite guy like him was cause of transfer.
Because they never had a HC with QB acumen. Ryan Day got the gig in 2019 handed the reigns over to Fields and won Big 10 COY. A coach that has sent others QBs to the NFL and has called Justin a generational talent.

Footballback

Liked Posts:
Long time Buckeye fan and Bear fan here and first post ever.

I grew up in Rockford and have followed the Bears forever! Born in the sixties and grew up in the seventies-crappy Bears football years. Then the eighties came and changed all that! But, that was short lived, the nineties brought back memories of the seventies, yuck! The next few decades were hit and miss, which brings me to my point of this post.

I have loved the Buckeyes as much as the Bears. I watched every game I can, it seems like forever. I’m no expert evaluator by any means, but, take this from a long time fan of both clubs, Justin Fields is the real deal! He passed all my eyeball test when I watched him, I knew he was an NFL QB!! His accuracy is crazy good, never seen it from any other Buckeye QB. His athleticism is crazy too, but he’s a pocket passer first-sneaky! That’s what makes him so good. And then, leadership and toughness!!! What can I say about that. Many OSU QBs had one maybe two of those intangibles, Justin has them all!!!

I could be wrong but take it from a long time fan of both teams, he is the real deal!!

jsu34

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Wisconsin QBs sucked too. Then Russell Wilson came along and I think he is doing just fine.
Hate to do this, but Russ started out at NC State and had an extra year of eligibility, so it could be NC State produces the good QB .

Your point remains tho.