Why does everyone say the Bears can't build a team around offense?

KPBears

Liked Posts:
The Bills under Jim Kelly. The Patriots under Brady . The Packers for the last 20 fucking years. All teams that play outside in conditions as bad as, if not worse than, Chicago. And they had sustained periods of excellence as offense first teams. And the NFL is, and will always be going forward, an offense first league, because the NFL is all about expanding its fan (and therefore revenue) base, and casual fans want to watch shoot outs, not smash mouth defensive battles.

Trestman and his regime have failed. But the Bears only chance for sustained success is to commit to an offensive mindset until they get it right. Whoever takes over the team, please, please hire an offensive oriented coach. Reverting back to the outdated notion of Bears football will just continue the futility.

theOHIOSTATE!

Liked Posts:
Who is "everyone"....

If they're the same dumbfucks who think we will be able to turn this boat around next yr and contend because somebody else did it once, so it is possible....fk em; they're functionally Special person.

That is what actually reading this board has taught me. There just are a lot of stupid, dumb, illogical NFL fans of every team. You can't cure stupid, so you need to ignore them.

mecha

Liked Posts:
the Bears have been subjected to shitty drafting between 2007-2011, for most certain. poor FA acquisitions under Jerry Angelo as well. they're in a pisspoor state that will effectively require rebuilding in the near future. take into great consideration, all the picks during that period with exception of like 1, are gone. there's no value in players that don't exist anymore. all the great teams have built up through the draft, and in various exceptions, they'll plug in a good FA player.

I guess maybe I've been kind of a dick about Shea Mac. the Bears gave Chris Williams about 72 passes and tried him at 3 positions on the offensive line before saying fuck this shit.

Broc

well baked
Donator
Liked Posts:
Because they're dumb meatball fans that buy into dumb shit like "Bear weather" and are forever stuck living in the past (1985).

Nevermind that Brady walked into our "Bear weather" snow storm back in 2010 and threw all over the Bears for 369 yards... Passing doesn't work here because Stephen A. Smith said the wind blows to much.

The answer isn't giving up on offense and going back to a "defense first" team. The answer is drafting better defensive players, not signing washed up players like Allen, and getting a better DC that can somehow teach his players to play the same coverage at the same time.

fenderpfunk

Liked Posts:
What you need is a fucking complete team. No matter who is hired (offensive, defensive, or STs guy) you need someone that has enough contacts and respect in the league to bring in quality assistants. You need someone who understands how to effectively build both sides of the ball. Good teams are complete teams and we need someone with the capability of managing (or delegating) the quality control of both sides AND special teams. This, and of course you need to not have Shea Mac, old ass Jared Allen, incompetent offensive line players, and a turnover machine at QB.

jsu34

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't think it's the case that the team can't be built around offense. You can't build a winning team with history making poor defense. Your defense must have some ability to stop the opponent.

I don't believe in either extreme. You have to have some balance.

mecha

Liked Posts:
remember the strategy after last year? with the offense they had plus even an average or even mildly slightly below average defense, they probably make the playoffs. giving up 250 yards on the ground was the issue then. giving up 7 touchdowns a game is the issue now. I mean, we've been saying the defense looks clueless and out of place all along, but the damning evidence brought about by Jennings that they don't even know the fucking formations that are being called is pretty amazing.

start with the coaches and draft some pieces. if viable free agency talent is available, whatever, go for it. pieces and depth. the offense has great players, but no depth, and it's shown. there's but 2 guys on the offensive line that can be plugged in. receivers? they brought in Santonio Holmes to replace the savior Wilson that's as far as I can tell never seen an NFL snap, he's like a new Johnny Knox -- he almost forces interceptions to happen.

I'm not a meatball dickhead clamoring for ZOMG BRING BACK TEH DEFENSEZZZZZZZZZ but they do need to place an emphasis on rebuilding it up again. too many scrubs and old disinterested fucks on that side of the ball right now.

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:
The Bills under Jim Kelly. The Patriots under Brady . The Packers for the last 20 fucking years. All teams that play outside in conditions as bad as, if not worse than, Chicago. And they had sustained periods of excellence as offense first teams. And the NFL is, and will always be going forward, an offense first league, because the NFL is all about expanding its fan (and therefore revenue) base, and casual fans want to watch shoot outs, not smash mouth defensive battles.

Trestman and his regime have failed. But the Bears only chance for sustained success is to commit to an offensive mindset until they get it right. Whoever takes over the team, please, please hire an offensive oriented coach. Reverting back to the outdated notion of Bears football will just continue the futility.

They just want to hype the tradition that we built of being a defensive franchise...

I have nothing wrong with being a defensive team... But not if it means watching special team players play WR... And limp noodle armed QBs throwing to them... With finesse running backs and soft o linemen like chris Williams and gave carimi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mpov22

Liked Posts:
A great defense will (almost) always trump a great offense... See last year's super bowl, and many others I don't care much to rehash.

Balance is the main key, and the only balance the Bears have right now is they are poopoo in all 3 phases.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Grasp.