Why Fields over Jones?

2MuchChino

Liked Posts:
I assume the Bears already had Fields rated higher than Jones going into the draft but I'd love to know what attributes Nagy and/or Pace specifically considered in making that determination. Mobility? College record? Stats? Better fit in Nagy's RPO offense? Ability to read defenses? Progression? Each has their strengths and even the ESPN talking heads cited reasons to pick either so I wonder what sealed the deal on Fields. Will Nagy/Pace ever fill us in?

msadows

Liked Posts:
Because Justin Fields has the potential of being a dynamic qb at the level the nfl has never seen before.

He's the 3rd fastest qb in the league, and his arm talent is superior to murray/jackson.

puckthefackers

Liked Posts:
I’m curious what the Jets and 49ers made them pass on Fields. I really really hope they screwed up, Bears got a steal and franchise QB for many years.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:
I assume the Bears already had Fields rated higher than Jones going into the draft but I'd love to know what attributes Nagy and/or Pace specifically considered in making that determination. Mobility? College record? Stats? Better fit in Nagy's RPO offense? Ability to read defenses? Progression? Each has their strengths and even the ESPN talking heads cited reasons to pick either so I wonder what sealed the deal on Fields. Will Nagy/Pace ever fill us in?

Jones only played one year. I'll just add that to what others said.

msadows

Liked Posts:
I’m curious what the Jets and 49ers made them pass on Fields. I really really hope they screwed up, Bears got a steal and franchise QB for many years.

You'll never know. Kinda like we have no idea why pace picked mitch over watson. Well, besides a nice car.

2MuchChino

Liked Posts:
The Trey Lance pick baffled the crap out of me. Talk about a crap shoot. Unlike Fields and Jones, Lance MAY also have a high ceiling but his highlight reel is extremely short and doesn't show much more than hitting wide open receivers deep or running the ball (and not exactly against top talent).

2MuchChino

Liked Posts:
Follow-up question. If Fields is off the board at 11 do you take Jones (giving up same picks)?

RiDLer80

First time, long time.
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Miami Hurricanes
  2. Northern Illinois Huskies
I don't know if there's a single physical attribute that Jones has over Fields. Give me Fields' size, arm strength, and mobility over Jones.

Fields is also more experienced as Jones was only a one year starter. Fields easily has the higher ceiling between those two.

Also, Re: Lance, I'd say Fields' ceiling is as high, if not higher, than Lance to go along with having a higher floor because Fields has more experience, and Fields played better competition. Give me Fields over everybody besides Lawrence.

msadows

Liked Posts:
I don't know if there's a single physical attribute that Jones has over Fields. Give me Fields' size, arm strength, and mobility over Jones.

Fields is also more experienced as Jones was only a one year starter. Fields easily has the higher ceiling between those two. Also, Re: Lance, I'd say Fields' ceiling is as high, if not higher, than Lance to go along with having a higher floor becase Fields has more experience.

Didn't really understand the lance hype.

He's the one guy in this draft who scares the hell out of me at the QB position because you don't know what you're getting. After mitch that gamble is not worth it.

Fields is just as fast as Lance but has a much more talented arm.

Yogi

Liked Posts:
With Jones you had a guy that was never the best player on the field at any point. Or the 2nd best, or even 3rd or 4th. You can tell he has a "what am I doing here" vibe around all these other great players on Bama.

Milky

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Follow-up question. If Fields is off the board at 11 do you take Jones (giving up same picks)?
Nope… at that point I realize the Pats will probably take him at 15 or WFT at 19 and I personally would be on the phone laying out the groundwork for a trade back.

Edit: But had he made it 20 I would’ve taken him.