Why I don’t want Colin

msadows

Liked Posts:
Didnt even read the thread but I bet some soft sorry sap has said something about racism
Sad
I come here to get away from social justice and politics

You've come to the wrong forum. Its only about 20 people who post on here on the regular, and half of them are trolls who will find any angle to get under a persons skin.

I used to act like a normal person on here, then decided to act like a troll POS to counter the other troll POS's on here.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Liked Posts:
Only reason why I wouldn’t want him is he is three years removed. Has a player ever come back three years later and produced anything?

Michael Vick is the only player I can think of that missed two years because of prison and was arguably a better player when he came back.

Edit: I forgot about Plaxico Burress. He missed a couple of years due to prison on weapons charges. He came back two years later and had one decent season, then played another...fell off the map and retired.

I brought this up with Kevin White too when a lot of ppl thought once healthy, he'd be good.

The truth is, I've read on more than one occasion that if a pro athlete misses too much time, they will never "get it back" because they haven't competed in so long. Many athletes say that it's hard enough when coming back from an injury that caused you to miss a year...let alone two or three. Most will say you can forget it...if it's been that long.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
You aren't telling the whole story:

2014: 19 td 10 ints, 86.4 QB Rating, 8-8 record under Head Coach Jim Harbaugh. Let's not forget going into that year the HC and ownership were at odds and things were headed to a divorce (specifically CEO Jed York). That materially impacts the team and is completely outside of Colin's control.

2015:6 tds 5 ints, 78.5 QB Rating, 5-11 TEAM RECORD under Head Coach Jim Tomsula (Colin was 2-6 as a starter - Went on IR). I can explain my thoughts on him, but this gif does his entire head coaching stint a lot of justice:

giphy.gif

2016:16 tds 4 ints, 90.7 QB Rating, 2-14 TEAM RECORD under Head Coach Chip Kelly (Colin was 1-10 as a starter - Went on IR). The team lacked talent and Chip's gimmicky offense was completely figured out. Chip is back to college now.

I'd add, for Colin that would be 3 different offensive coordinators/schemes in 3 years. That is just not what successful teams do.

Anyway, posting some selective stats and the TEAM RECORD alone without looking at the entire team situation is misleading.

Last edited:

msadows

Liked Posts:
And I've stated it before, I think Kaps done. The NFL is not basketball. You can't just play drew league and stay in shape.

Kap hasn't done organized football in forever. He hasn't read a defense in forever, not that he could do it great when he DID play.

Next year, I'm good with signing him. This year I find it pointless. Having him on the roster for 7 extra games isn't going to do anything but destroy Mitch even further. We aren't making a playoff push, the rest of this season is about one thing, and thats the development of mitch.

The ONLY hope this team has going forward to be anything more than mediocre is if mitch somehow controls his demons and plays like he is capable of playing. Majority know his issues are mental. I've given up on him redeeming himself, but the team and organization hasn't yet.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
And I've stated it before, I think Kaps done. The NFL is not basketball. You can't just play drew league and stay in shape.

Kap hasn't done organized football in forever. He hasn't read a defense in forever, not that he could do it great when he DID play.

Next year, I'm good with signing him. This year I find it pointless. Having him on the roster for 7 extra games isn't going to do anything but destroy Mitch even further. We aren't making a playoff push, the rest of this season is about one thing, and thats the development of mitch.

The ONLY hope this team has going forward to be anything more than mediocre is if mitch somehow controls his demons and plays like he is capable of playing. Majority know his issues are mental. I've given up on him redeeming himself, but the team and organization hasn't yet.
That's a fair point, but you can evaluate all that stuff in some field drills and physical. You could also offer him a contract with little to no guaranteed money, let him show what he has in training camp and move on with no impact to your team if it doesn't work out.

Teams haven't even given him that, so he's still getting black balled. Also, let's not forget the league settled the lawsuit with Colin and Eric Reid for what was reported as under $10M.

Regarding him being black balled I don't think it's about Police treatment of minorities or respecting the country. For the owners of NFL teams, which we have to remember is a wildly profitable monopoly that is a private partnership meaning they can make their own rules, it represented 3-5 minutes where one player took the stage that the NFL created for a protest. In short, the NFL lost control of the narrative. This could directly impact sponsors and their target audience. It represents a massive business risk that they just couldn't have, so they were extremely aggressive in making an example.

Sure Colin's protest was non-violent, created a lot of awareness and some of the owners actually agreed with it, but they also had to wonder what's next? That's was a critical tipping point where if they didn't 'nip it in the bud' players could really advertise whatever protest/belief/product at that time.

Trump32

Liked Posts:
Ya some truth there but who wants a distraction from a backup quality player? If the guy was a good starter he could kill and eat puppies and still get a job.
I for one would welcome the distraction. It will provide an opportunity to out the racist snowflakes that can't tolerate a black man kneeling in protest, The same people who are prideful of having a traitor in the White House.

I still don't want him because he sucks at football and hasn't played in forever and probably has an elevated sense of market value.

Bears Backer 54

Liked Posts:
If Kaep really wanted to play football, he could've done the Warren Moon approach and go to the CFL and light it up, win championships, break CFL records (no doubt he would be "the man" on any CFL team and be the centerpiece of their offense like Moon was), get good football tape out there of him and then come catch back on with an NFL team. Staying in shape and game ready over a 3 year gap are two different things and there likely aren't many players that can step back in seemlessly and above their last performance levels in that situation.

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
He's been out of the league for 3 yrs.
Whatever he had is probably gone.

Really? I could not play tennis, or golf, or softball for three years and still go out and kick ass. They should at least go look. Kap isn't dead, still young, in good shape. I can't believe he's any worse than Mitch.

LetsGo34

Liked Posts:
That's a fair point, but you can evaluate all that stuff in some field drills and physical. You could also offer him a contract with little to no guaranteed money, let him show what he has in training camp and move on with no impact to your team if it doesn't work out.

Teams haven't even given him that, so he's still getting black balled. Also, let's not forget the league settled the lawsuit with Colin and Eric Reid for what was reported as under $10M.

Regarding him being black balled I don't think it's about Police treatment of minorities or respecting the country. For the owners of NFL teams, which we have to remember is a wildly profitable monopoly that is a private partnership meaning they can make their own rules, it represented 3-5 minutes where one player took the stage that the NFL created for a protest. In short, the NFL lost control of the narrative. This could directly impact sponsors and their target audience. It represents a massive business risk that they just couldn't have, so they were extremely aggressive in making an example.

Sure Colin's protest was non-violent, created a lot of awareness and some of the owners actually agreed with it, but they also had to wonder what's next? That's was a critical tipping point where if they didn't 'nip it in the bud' players could really advertise whatever protest/belief/product at that time.
To add to your point, the revenue loss from fans boycotting and the military ad dollars is the deciding factor. People can cry racism all they want but the only color that matters to the NFL is green.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
He's been out of the league for 3 yrs.
Whatever he had is probably gone.

So, are you saying teams shouldn't even kick the tires? A GM's job is to make the team better. Why wouldn't after an injury or identifying a QB weakness in training camp at least fly him in for a tryout?

Kaep is 32 years old. That's no spring chicken, but going into the start of this season it's younger than 10 of the season starting QBs (Brady, Fitz, Ben, Dalton, Rivers, Flacco, Eli, Rodgers, Brees & Ryan).

If the GM of a team who needed a QB was a doctor not bringing in Kaep would be cause for a malpractice lawsuit. It's like your patient saying their chest feels tight and have pain in their shoulders/neck and your refuse to send him to the ER to see a cardiologist. He's getting black balled, period. I'm not debating if he 'deserves' to be black balled or not, because that branches into your thoughts on racial tensions, patriotism and just rules in general, which I have no interest in discussing.

Teams are going out of their way not to give him a chance to work.

jsu34

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The "because he sucks" crowd always cracks me up. They must not watch a lot of football because there a lot bad qb play out there. I could see if a 32 teams had a starter lighting it up. You might have point in that case. But wash up Kaep is probably good enough to be at the top of the bottom half of the league.

If he's able to get in and shake the rust off he might be even be better than bottom half.

There's no excuse for not at least sending a scout to the workout.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
To add to your point, the revenue loss from fans boycotting and the military ad dollars is the deciding factor. People can cry racism all they want but the only color that matters to the NFL is green.
I agree, but truly feel it's about control rather than the immediate financial backlash. Remember that Nike Kaepernick Ad? After that people were filming themselves burning Nike shoes in their own cute little protest. Well, Forbes did a nice little write up about how that all turned out. From the article:

Nike stock prices reached an all-time high immediately in the aftermath of the ad, and their e-commerce channel will likely be a beneficiary of their ad-spend: their recent earnings report highlighted Nike’s direct digital sales channel as its “fastest-growing segment, rising 36% overall during the quarter.”

Controversy is not all bad for business and sometimes can work out really well. Do you think the NFL is really against their athletes using weed for injuries/pain or does Anheuser-Busch, whom has the most to lose financially from the marijuana industry's growth, just happens to be their largest sponsor? If Canopy Growth (NYSE: CGC, Market capitalization of $9.28 billion) offered the NFL 2X what Anheuser-Bush Inbev is offering would they change their stance on the semi-banned substance? Definitely.

The NFL, if anything, is marketing magic. They need to control the narrative to keep people interested. Losing control of that can be a death sentence. Just as an example, what if one player believed in ISIS. During the next star spangled banner he holds up a small ISIS flag. He says that's his religious belief and based on Colin's protest he should be able to take that moment to build awareness over his beliefs. That's an EXTREME example, but if the NFL was cool with one protest where do they draw the line? It's a slipper slope where the organization being the NFL is always on slippery ground.

Last edited: