Why I think Ryan Day fits the situation

SugabearMVP

Liked Posts:
Look, first of all, I'm not saying this is the approach I would take but this all comes from seeing over the years how McCaskey has been running the show.

The Bears will NOT hire a GM or even HC who will demand the bulk of the decision making. We know this already so any big names like Rick Smith or even Harbaugh are realistically (and sadly) out of the equation. Secondly, we see that George seems to have a thing for Pace and will likely keep him around. I have a feeling Pace will be given a GM/President role and the team wont even try to find a new GM. If they do, it will probably be within house to keep the pecking order as it is.

So this is where Day comes in. Think back the past +30 years of the Bears and their QB carousel. We've had numerous coaches in the time being that at times developed good teams (mainly Lovie's Bears) but the strength was never on the side of the O. It was always about having a strong defense. Within the past 5 years, Bears have had 2 FIRST ROUND QB's!!! And are in the process of having their 3rd head coach to add to the confusion. Think about that. Every coach we've had for God knows how long has not been able to fix the QB situation. What ends up happening is the Bears end up wasting valuable money on the Glennon's and Dalton's of the NFL. Dont even get me started on the Rick Mirer situation because I get goosebumps thinking about it.

Anyway, Bears have got to find a way to build a decent offense and as we know that starts with the QB. They might have a solid gem in Fields (I hope so) but they have to find out exactly if that is true or not. You go back and look at what made Fields a top prospect and it all leads to Day. I understand the NFL is different but it all starts with the basics and mechanics and Day knows exactly what those are with Fields and how to work with the kid.

This scenario also gives Pace a "get out of jail" card in the meantime and could justify him being kept on the team. If this whole thing doesn't work out, then you can (hopefully) put this on Pace if you're George and finally realize how bad you're running this franchise. But the Bears have to look at Fields in a very serious way and determine that no matter who they get, there's a chance it wont work out... so why not start with the guy that made Fields a top prospect and that wont demand as much authority as some of the other big names?

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Liked Posts:
I do not approve Ryan Day, and I do not think there's a chance it will happen.

tgmxd

Liked Posts:
I just don't think his resume is big enough yet. Maybe in a few years

One thing I do like: He's at least different than Nagy was as a HC candidate because he actually runs OSU's offense. There's no Andy Reid there steering the ship.

He's also developed two great college QBs under his watch now with Fields and Stroud. You can argue they would have succeeded either way but as we saw this year even a rookie Trevor Lawrence can look like garbage when he's set with bad coaching and a bad team around him.

The no NFL head coaching experience thing for a college coach is just a tough, tough sell right now though.

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
Look, first of all, I'm not saying this is the approach I would take but this all comes from seeing over the years how McCaskey has been running the show.

The Bears will NOT hire a GM or even HC who will demand the bulk of the decision making. We know this already so any big names like Rick Smith or even Harbaugh are realistically (and sadly) out of the equation. Secondly, we see that George seems to have a thing for Pace and will likely keep him around. I have a feeling Pace will be given a GM/President role and the team wont even try to find a new GM. If they do, it will probably be within house to keep the pecking order as it is.

So this is where Day comes in. Think back the past +30 years of the Bears and their QB carousel. We've had numerous coaches in the time being that at times developed good teams (mainly Lovie's Bears) but the strength was never on the side of the O. It was always about having a strong defense. Within the past 5 years, Bears have had 2 FIRST ROUND QB's!!! And are in the process of having their 3rd head coach to add to the confusion. Think about that. Every coach we've had for God knows how long has not been able to fix the QB situation. What ends up happening is the Bears end up wasting valuable money on the Glennon's and Dalton's of the NFL. Dont even get me started on the Rick Mirer situation because I get goosebumps thinking about it.

Anyway, Bears have got to find a way to build a decent offense and as we know that starts with the QB. They might have a solid gem in Fields (I hope so) but they have to find out exactly if that is true or not. You go back and look at what made Fields a top prospect and it all leads to Day. I understand the NFL is different but it all starts with the basics and mechanics and Day knows exactly what those are with Fields and how to work with the kid.

This scenario also gives Pace a "get out of jail" card in the meantime and could justify him being kept on the team. If this whole thing doesn't work out, then you can (hopefully) put this on Pace if you're George and finally realize how bad you're running this franchise. But the Bears have to look at Fields in a very serious way and determine that no matter who they get, there's a chance it wont work out... so why not start with the guy that made Fields a top prospect and that wont demand as much authority as some of the other big names?
I agree with this, today is an offensive league we we've never gotten that right. My choice is Trace as President, Rick Smith as Gm and Day as HC, we would be set.

Leomaz

Pissing people off the right way!
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
  2. Notre Dame Fighting Irish

If Day leaves Ohio State, I would question his judgement.

Liked Posts:
Day isn't leaving Ohio State guys. He's making coaching changes to his current staff, which indicates he's not going anywhere in the near term.

GoBears

Liked Posts:
Will Day come to us cheap? Like $15/hr cheap?

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I'm sorry, but the perfect choice for head coach of the Chicago Bears is Jay Cutler. We need a coach that doesn't care just as much as ownership doesn't care.