Why I'm all in on Rick Smith

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Rick Smith's drafting record is top 7 or 8, perhaps better, if you actually look at what other teams' drafts look like. People tend to overestimate how well teams in general draft. You could argue that PIT, TEN, BAL, SF, KC, perhaps a few others have drafted better than Smith, but he is well above average. Here's a team you could field with his draft choices, including 3 UDFAs over his tenure:
QB: Watson, Case Keenum

C: Ben Jones, 10 year starter

G: Brandon Brooks, 10 year starter 3x pro bowl; Nick Martin 5 year starter (whole career)

T: Duane Brown, 4x PB, 1x AP; Julian Davenport or Derek Newton, meh.

TE: Ryan Griffen and Garrett Graham, meh.

WR: Hopkins, Fuller, Jacoby Jones meh after that.

RB: Arian Foster, Alfred Blue, Ben Tate, Steve Slaton

DL: Watt, DJ Reader, Chris Covington, Earl Mitchell, Carlos Watkins, Amobi Okoye

Edge: Clowney, Whitney Mercilus, Connor Barwin, Brooks Reed

LB: Bernie Mckinney, Zach Cunningham, Brian Cushing

S: Kareem Jackson, Glover Quin, DJ Swearinger

CB: AJ Bouye, Kevin Johnson, Brice McCain

There are definite holes there - CB, TE, RT, maybe LB. But you aren't going to find many teams that are too much better than that build just on a draft over 11 years.

Dejo

Godfather of FTO
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Real Salt Lake
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Utah Jazz
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Utah Utes
Rick Smith seems like he is not ready to come back yet

Bears4Ever_34

Liked Posts:
Doesn't sound like he's interested in the job otherwise we would have heard his name as someone the Bears interviewed. Heard a lot of smoke early that there was mutual interest, but absolutely nothing since.

If he wanted to get back in, he would have been my first choice.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Yeah I agree he probably doesn't want to come back.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I'm good with him at GM but his drafting prowess is overstated.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
I'm good with him at GM but his drafting prowess is overstated.
Compared to who? He's very clearly a top 10 drafter if you actually compare his drafts to other organizations.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Compared to who? He's very clearly a top 10 drafter if you actually compare his drafts to other organizations.
From the article:
The seven Texan draft picks given second contracts who weren't first rounders are:

2007, Jacoby Jones (3rd round)
2010, Garrett Graham (4th round)
2011, Derek Newton (7th round)
2013, Ryan Griffin (6th round)
2014, C.J. Fiedorowicz (3rd round)
2014, Jay Prosch (6th round)
2014, Andre Hal (7th round)

That list is not exactly a case study in sound decision making. Among the non-first round draftees that the Texans let walk in free agency, Barwin, Quin, and Brooks have all been named to at least one Pro Bowl. The above listed group of non-first round draftees have been named to.... well, no need to pile on.

He's above average due to hitting on a couple 1st round gems for where selected like Hopkins and Watson but that Watson pick has also become debatable. I'd be OK if he were the new GM but just think his drafting prowess is overstated.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
From the article:
The seven Texan draft picks given second contracts who weren't first rounders are:

That list is not exactly a case study in sound decision making. Among the non-first round draftees that the Texans let walk in free agency, Barwin, Quin, and Brooks have all been named to at least one Pro Bowl. The above listed group of non-first round draftees have been named to.... well, no need to pile on.

He's above average due to hitting on a couple 1st round gems for where selected like Hopkins and Watson but that Watson pick has also become debatable. I'd be OK if he were the new GM but just think his drafting prowess is overstated.
i read the article last week. If you just go by who he drafted, which is the topic under discussion, he is a top drafter.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
i read the article last week. If you just go by who he drafted, which is the topic under discussion, he is a top drafter.
That 3rd party disagrees.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Why is anyone all in when he’s not even interviewing? Or has something changed?

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
From the article:

Deshaun watson pick doesn't become debatable at all in my opinion. That was something that could have never been seen coming. He was always viewed as high character and his on field play is undeniable

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Deshaun watson pick doesn't become debatable at all in my opinion. That was something that could have never been seen coming. He was always viewed as high character and his on field play is undeniable
Wasn't a major point. Said he was a gem of a pick. Some have already debated it. Is it any different than getting a fail from an injury a player didn't have in college like White? Article was written before Watson's problems so not part of his evaluation..

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
Last I heard, he was scheduled to interview this week.

Am I wrong? Did anything change?
I don’t think he ever said he was or was not interviewing but I can’t say I’ve seen anything definitive either way

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Rick Smith's drafting record is top 7 or 8, perhaps better, if you actually look at what other teams' drafts look like. People tend to overestimate how well teams in general draft. You could argue that PIT, TEN, BAL, SF, KC, perhaps a few others have drafted better than Smith, but he is well above average. Here's a team you could field with his draft choices, including 3 UDFAs over his tenure:
QB: Watson, Case Keenum

C: Ben Jones, 10 year starter

G: Brandon Brooks, 10 year starter 3x pro bowl; Nick Martin 5 year starter (whole career)

T: Duane Brown, 4x PB, 1x AP; Julian Davenport or Derek Newton, meh.

TE: Ryan Griffen and Garrett Graham, meh.

WR: Hopkins, Fuller, Jacoby Jones meh after that.

RB: Arian Foster, Alfred Blue, Ben Tate, Steve Slaton

DL: Watt, DJ Reader, Chris Covington, Earl Mitchell, Carlos Watkins, Amobi Okoye

Edge: Clowney, Whitney Mercilus, Connor Barwin, Brooks Reed

LB: Bernie Mckinney, Zach Cunningham, Brian Cushing

S: Kareem Jackson, Glover Quin, DJ Swearinger

CB: AJ Bouye, Kevin Johnson, Brice McCain

There are definite holes there - CB, TE, RT, maybe LB. But you aren't going to find many teams that are too much better than that build just on a draft over 11 years.
People love to celebrate Pace drafting Monty. Smith found Foster as a UDFA. But great post. People usually just mention his big 3 draftees. This is definitely a better look into what he has done.

Also, dont forget about Demeco Ryans.

AustinIllini

Lifetime of futility
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Seattle Sounders FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Dallas Stars
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
If Rick Smith is hired by the Bears, I'm not mad about it.

That's the best I can say about him. He was solid with Houston although he didn't get a QB until late in his tenure, when personal reasons kept him from staying on.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
People love to celebrate Pace drafting Monty. Smith found Foster as a UDFA. But great post. People usually just mention his big 3 draftees. This is definitely a better look into what he has done.

Also, dont forget about Demeco Ryans.
I think Demeco was before Smith. He was drafted in 06, same as Mario Wlliams.