Why is Nagy on the “Hot seat”??

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
This offense needs to be top 10 in 2022 or he’s a failure
They need to be approaching 20 or better this year. Their positional spending on offense ranks 20th Nagy has had a hand in getting players he wanted, they are in the second year of a revamped coaching staff on offense.....

Certainly top half of the league next year.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
We all know Nagy had little influence on the defense. Nagy was the OC for all intents and purposes. Defense was not his responsibility.

We can pretend that Nagy was made the defense all we want, but the actual facts are well known about who is running what on this team.
“Facts”. Right...

aeronaut

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Northwestern Wildcats
can we start a Nagy subforum?

A. Because he has made many mistakes with play calling and has lapses in managing a game tempo

B. His players seem pretty unprepared at times, specifically on the offensive side of the ball

C. He hasn't improved the offense even tho a ton of money and several new players have been brought in.
So what you're saying is that he isn't a perfect coach, and he isn't better than every other coach to ever coach an NFL franchise.

Both Pace and Nagy have had some startup issues. Pace's first ever draft pick was Kevin White. Every pick since then has been better than that pick (not hard, admittedly). Trubisky was a miss, but most of the pundits out there had Trubisky as their #1 or #2 quarterback, and none of them had Mahomes rated over Trubisky. So Pace looked at those results, saw that the Chiefs had a better 'process' than the Bears did, and went and tapped into that 'process', bringing Nagy to Chicago. This year's draft shows SUBSTANTIAL improvement over previous years, and in previous years, we got some misses, but also players like Eddie Jackson, Khalil Mack, Roquan Smith, A-Rob, Cody Whitehair, James Daniels, David Montgomery, Darnell Mooney, and probably some others I've forgotten. Now we add Justin Fields, Teven Jenkins, and hopefully a few of the late round picks this year show some promise.

To address your objections point by point.

A. Sure, there have been errors in play calling and managing the game. Name a coach who hasn't had those. Matt LaFleur kicked the field goal at the end of the NFC championship game last year, clearly a bad decision. Should GB fire him for that? Clock mismanagement happens all the time. As a fan, we don't like it, but to expect perfection from a coach is asking too much. You'll end up firing a bunch of really good coaches because you want a perfect coach.

B. Again, that happens, and over time, as he works with Pace, the players they have will be better at managing that stuff. Another example - Bears beat the Bucs last season. It was early, and the Bucs were still figuring things out. Brady was driving at the end of the game, but he lost count of the down, throwing an incomplete pass on fourth down. He signaled the ref that it was third down, and the ref pointed to the marker showing it was fourth. So Brady couldn't keep track of the down, and Arians, his coach, should have made sure he was prepared to do that basic function of knowing what down it was. Should they have fired Brady and Arians for that gaffe?

C. The problem with the offense was that Trubisky needed more time, more development, or more skill to execute it. It's as if Nagy went into a boxing match with one hand tied behind his back. You can't judge the ability of a play caller without giving him players that can fit into his system and execute his vision. Bill Walsh coaching the horrible Bucs teams of the 1970's would have had limited success at best. Bill Belichick would not have been able to do much with the Lions in 2008, although he might have gotten them from 0-16 to 2-14.

I get the impression that you expect a head coach to have a godlike ability to transform players into all-pros and to make every call correctly. I would suggest that you consider rating head coaches relative to their peer group, and not to some idealized standard that no human can meet. There are no perfect coaches, just humans doing their best.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
“Facts”. Right...
Yes, Nagy called the offensive plays, the defense coordinator called the defense plays.

Fangio was considered and even named "head coach" of the defense. They brought in a former head coach to run the defense....

Do you have some knowledge that Nagy was completely responsible for coaching and calling defensive plays? If you believe that I have some swampland and bridge I'd like to sell you.

aeronaut

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Northwestern Wildcats
I think the Bears have given him the benefit of the doubt, but he will now have his 4th and potentially 5th starting QBs and I think they expect progress.
The reason he has had so many starting QBs in three years is because none of them were truly starting QBs. Dalton may not be either, but he's who we have until hopefully Fields is a starting QB. We'll see.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
So what you're saying is that he isn't a perfect coach, and he isn't better than every other coach to ever coach an NFL franchise.

Both Pace and Nagy have had some startup issues. Pace's first ever draft pick was Kevin White. Every pick since then has been better than that pick (not hard, admittedly). Trubisky was a miss, but most of the pundits out there had Trubisky as their #1 or #2 quarterback, and none of them had Mahomes rated over Trubisky. So Pace looked at those results, saw that the Chiefs had a better 'process' than the Bears did, and went and tapped into that 'process', bringing Nagy to Chicago. This year's draft shows SUBSTANTIAL improvement over previous years, and in previous years, we got some misses, but also players like Eddie Jackson, Khalil Mack, Roquan Smith, A-Rob, Cody Whitehair, James Daniels, David Montgomery, Darnell Mooney, and probably some others I've forgotten. Now we add Justin Fields, Teven Jenkins, and hopefully a few of the late round picks this year show some promise.

To address your objections point by point.

A. Sure, there have been errors in play calling and managing the game. Name a coach who hasn't had those. Matt LaFleur kicked the field goal at the end of the NFC championship game last year, clearly a bad decision. Should GB fire him for that? Clock mismanagement happens all the time. As a fan, we don't like it, but to expect perfection from a coach is asking too much. You'll end up firing a bunch of really good coaches because you want a perfect coach.

B. Again, that happens, and over time, as he works with Pace, the players they have will be better at managing that stuff. Another example - Bears beat the Bucs last season. It was early, and the Bucs were still figuring things out. Brady was driving at the end of the game, but he lost count of the down, throwing an incomplete pass on fourth down. He signaled the ref that it was third down, and the ref pointed to the marker showing it was fourth. So Brady couldn't keep track of the down, and Arians, his coach, should have made sure he was prepared to do that basic function of knowing what down it was. Should they have fired Brady and Arians for that gaffe?

C. The problem with the offense was that Trubisky needed more time, more development, or more skill to execute it. It's as if Nagy went into a boxing match with one hand tied behind his back. You can't judge the ability of a play caller without giving him players that can fit into his system and execute his vision. Bill Walsh coaching the horrible Bucs teams of the 1970's would have had limited success at best. Bill Belichick would not have been able to do much with the Lions in 2008, although he might have gotten them from 0-16 to 2-14.

I get the impression that you expect a head coach to have a godlike ability to transform players into all-pros and to make every call correctly. I would suggest that you consider rating head coaches relative to their peer group, and not to some idealized standard that no human can meet. There are no perfect coaches, just humans doing their best.
Nagy was brought in as an offensive genius to turn around the Bears offense. He hasn't.

And I can point to some issues with his coaching.

A lack of success coupled with a bunch of mistakes is a bad combo.

No one is asking for God-like abilities. Just asking for him to do what he was brought in to do.....

He's been given a reprieve after one offensive failure after another. He now has another chance with a high draft pick QB and another veteran who's had previous success.

It's time to shit or get off the pot......we all hope he finally takes a dump.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
The reason he has had so many starting QBs in three years is because none of them were truly starting QBs. Dalton may not be either, but he's who we have until hopefully Fields is a starting QB. We'll see.
How many QBs should he be given? 6, 9, 12?

BigUglyBear

Liked Posts:
You can't judge the ability of a play caller without giving him players that can fit into his system and execute his vision.
Yes you can. You coach to the strengths and weaknesses of the players you actually have, not the players you wish you had. A good playcaller emphasizes the positive traits of their personnel while scheming around the weaknesses. Nagy does not. A good playcaller attacks the weaknesses of his opposition, Nagy does not. Under a good coach, players improve with coaching. Nagy's players do not. Under a good coach, players play with discipline. Nagy's players do not.
Had you said you cannot evaluate the scheme without proper personnel I would have agreed with you. But you can evaluate a playcaller by how efficiently he uses the personnel on the roster, and Nagy fails at that horribly.

Nelly

Liked Posts:
I think Nagy (and Pace) have been and are safer than Bears fans would like to think. If the Bears management really wasn't pretty comfortable with them then they wouldn't have allowed Pace and Nagy to collaborate in selling off future assets for the QB they wanted. We've got them for at least the next few years now, for better or worse.

aeronaut

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Northwestern Wildcats
Yes, Nagy called the offensive plays, the defense coordinator called the defense plays.

Fangio was considered and even named "head coach" of the defense. They brought in a former head coach to run the defense....

Do you have some knowledge that Nagy was completely responsible for coaching and calling defensive plays? If you believe that I have some swampland and bridge I'd like to sell you.
Agree with this - Fangio was a big loss, and cost us a few wins the last few years. Pagano was a disappointment as a DC, and my gut feeling, reading between the lines, was that he was offered the chance to retire so he wouldn't be fired.

Hopefully Desai will return us to the kind of defense we had under Fangio. It's kind of like how the 1986 Bears went a bit downhill after Buddy Ryan left to coach the Eagles - the record was still good (14-2), but they were one and done in the playoffs two years in a row, and should have been three years in a row if it weren't for the fog rolling into Soldier Field when they had the lead against the Eagles but had lost all the momentum in the game. That the 1985-1990 Bears only won one superbowl and then managed one playoff win in the next four years is a disappointment.

Nagy can coach. Give him the right players, and he'll win a lot of games. Give him a good defense to go with that, and we can expect to be perennial contenders.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think Nagy (and Pace) have been and are safer than Bears fans would like to think. If the Bears management really wasn't pretty comfortable with them then they wouldn't have allowed Pace and Nagy to collaborate in selling off future assets for the QB they wanted. We've got them for at least the next few years now, for better or worse.
I think it is less than you think....

If they completely shit the bed this year they may be gone. If the Bears are not a Superbowl contender in 2022 they are gone...

If Nagy can't turn this O around with Fields they are gone.

They have 2 years at most.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Agree with this - Fangio was a big loss, and cost us a few wins the last few years. Pagano was a disappointment as a DC, and my gut feeling, reading between the lines, was that he was offered the chance to retire so he wouldn't be fired.

Hopefully Desai will return us to the kind of defense we had under Fangio. It's kind of like how the 1986 Bears went a bit downhill after Buddy Ryan left to coach the Eagles - the record was still good (14-2), but they were one and done in the playoffs two years in a row, and should have been three years in a row if it weren't for the fog rolling into Soldier Field when they had the lead against the Eagles but had lost all the momentum in the game. That the 1985-1990 Bears only won one superbowl and then managed one playoff win in the next four years is a disappointment.

Nagy can coach. Give him the right players, and he'll win a lot of games. Give him a good defense to go with that, and we can expect to be perennial contenders.
Nagy hasn't proved he can get the most out of his offense. He's made a bunch of mistakes.

No one should be sold on Nagy yet. Hopefully he can get his act together.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
Not trying to pile on, but I see Nagy's biggest failings come in critical situations.

Personnel packages are tied directly to the play called without considerations for the situation at hand. How many times did we see Patterson come in the game on short yardage situations? How many times did we see Graham on the sidelines in the RedZone? How long did it take to realize Coward was not living up to expectations and that there were better options already on the roster?

Additionally his play calls were simply random at times. A good playcaller has the ability to setup future plays with his current one. For example on a certain down and distance if you run the ball out of the same formation a couple of times in a row, you are broadcasting that you may have a tendency to do that again. Nagy would not adjust and throw a play action pass out of that formation, he would just run a different play with a different formation.

Too many times they were breaking the huddle late and it forced Trubisky to read what the defense was doing quickly and he just was not that good at it. Foles saw this and was yelling at Nagy on the sideline, because he knows what a good flow of play calls looks like.

Just too many concerns with his play calling and it was blatantly obvious when Lazor started calling plays that the flow and quality of plays were better.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
these are pretty good examples.....Nagy can design some solid plays....

His main issue is using them situationally and going to the well too often. He has zero instinct on keeping defenses off balance.

Broc

well baked
Donator
Liked Posts:
Nagy can coach.

No, he can't.

He's a shit play caller who thinks he's an offensive genius despite not actually being one.

There isn't a single aspect of being an actual head coach that Nagy does well unless you consider yelling 'BOOM' during club flub as some amazing attribute.

I'd love to hear what exactly you think Nagy does well as it pertains to the actual responsibilities of a head coach? I'll wait....

Give him the right players, and he'll win a lot of games. Give him a good defense to go with that, and we can expect to be perennial contenders.

I love the excuses. Nothing is ever Nagy's fault. He just needs the "right" players... aka.. a stacked team of pro-bowlers on both sides of the ball that can make up for his shit game plans and even worse play calling.

Fuck outta here with this shit.

So with a stacked roster he can win games.. Awesome, congrats. What an amazing coach he is.