Why is the term "blitz" used in the NFL?

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I'm sure this will be a fun thread but why does the NFL use a Nazi/ German term for probably the most used defensive tactic? How do the resident nazis on this board feel about this?

Chicoman

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Der lightening about to strike, Gennose.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
Nazis hate it that football appropriated their culture. German words are strictly for white nationalism, and all these non-aryans going lightning on quarterbacks, especially blond quarterbacks, is super offensive to them.

If you hate Nazis though you should totally speak German as much as possible and publicly

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Blitzkrieg is a term used to describe a method of offensive warfare designed to strike a swift, focused blow at an enemy using mobile, maneuverable forces. Such an attack ideally leads to a quick victory.

NeverDieEasy

Righter of Wrongs
Liked Posts:
Deine Mutter war ein Dumbass. Dein Vater war ein Dumbass.Deshalb bist du ein Dumbass!

freddylamar

Liked Posts:
How dare they use a German word! I need to see your manager immediately. #cancelthenfl

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
I'm sure this will be a fun thread but why does the NFL use a Nazi/ German term for probably the most used defensive tactic? How do the resident nazis on this board feel about this?
George Halas was a well known anti-Semite

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:
I wouldn't count out the possibility of the term changing.

In computing, replication between two devices could be described as "master & slave." It got canceled around 2005.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Etymologically, I found the following: Etymology Corner - 'Blitz' - Collins Dictionary Language Blog

‘Blitz’ comes from the German word for lightning. Its arrival in the English language can be traced to the German military strategy of Blitzkrieg (literally ‘lightning war’), which used tanks and bombers to secure rapid victories at the start of World War II. When a similar strategy was used in bombing Britain in 1940 and 1941, the British shortened the original German term and referred to it as ‘the Blitz’. Since then, the word ‘blitz’ has come to be applied to any period of intensive activity. You can have a shopping blitz, a cleaning blitz, or a promotional blitz; and the authorities can orchestrate blitzes against perceived evils such as binge-drinking and anti-social behaviour.

‘Blitz’ is a good example of how the disruptions of war can introduce novel words and phrases into the language. More recent conflicts have similarly popularized expressions such as ‘friendly fire’, ‘human shield’ and ‘shock and awe’, the latter being very much the Blitzkrieg of its day.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Here's something more related to football:

In any event, from what I can tell (not being a German speaker), "blitz" is German for lightning. Presumably, it predates the Nazi's.

EDIT: Sorry for breaking up your Black Panther Party.

Nuremberg Bear

Liked Posts:
Endlich mal ein Thread für mich. ?

Not every German word is from Nazi Regime. There was a time before and is after. BLITZ does mean lightning or, surprise surprise, can used as context for FAST / QUICK.
So Blitzkrieg means nothing more than quick war ?