Why isn't Pagano being held accountable for this putrid defense?

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
Because I believe the talent on D is better suited for it. Floyd, Smith would be better in that D
I assume you think Floyd would he an off ball cover OLB in a 4-3? He isn’t big enough to be an edge guy in a 4-3.

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Statistically the defense is fine, but they just don't get off the field. And it is not the tired thing that everybody talks about. In the last couple of games, the Eagles and the Lions owned the clock in the first and second quarters with 7-9 minute drives to start the game. Then if the offense goes 3 and out, it happens again. Earlier on in the year, this didn't happen. The Vikings didn't get a first down until like late in the second quarter. Maybe its the injuries, like Hicks.

One thing I will add. When Fangio was the 49ers DC, I couldn't believe how well their secondary was, receivers would all be covered. Then he came to the Bears. Fuller was about to get run out of town when he arrived. Then with Fangio, he was considered one of the best corners in the game. Now I hear about everybody hating on him once again.

What I saw yesterday, was rarely a rush on the QB, yet receivers seemed open for 12 yard passes all day. Miraculously, the D somehow holds them to no points or a FG quite often. Against the Eagles, I think that the Bears win that game, but the Eagles kept picking up 3rd and 8s and stuff, one after the other.

On turnovers, I hear things like, the Bears were lucky to have so many last year. Turnovers are not lucky. Turnovers are created by the defense. I sure hope things get better next week against the Rams. I always cared much more about defense than offense, and I certainly was not happy with that yesterday, despite the 13 points.

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
The regression in the D can be traced to one individual. Akeim Hicks. He was the run stuffer, he had to be double teamed if a team was going to run, moving a double team off of Eddie Goldman. Also, he required assistance on pass rush downs by the O line. As it is right now Mack is being double/triple teamed. Everything hinged on Hicks. Replacements are not as good.

KoreanBear

Liked Posts:
Held accountable=make thread here?

How is ccs going to keep him accountable?

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Statistically the defense is fine, but they just don't get off the field. And it is not the tired thing that everybody talks about. In the last couple of games, the Eagles and the Lions owned the clock in the first and second quarters with 7-9 minute drives to start the game. Then if the offense goes 3 and out, it happens again. Earlier on in the year, this didn't happen. The Vikings didn't get a first down until like late in the second quarter. Maybe its the injuries, like Hicks.

One thing I will add. When Fangio was the 49ers DC, I couldn't believe how well their secondary was, receivers would all be covered. Then he came to the Bears. Fuller was about to get run out of town when he arrived. Then with Fangio, he was considered one of the best corners in the game. Now I hear about everybody hating on him once again.

What I saw yesterday, was rarely a rush on the QB, yet receivers seemed open for 12 yard passes all day. Miraculously, the D somehow holds them to no points or a FG quite often. Against the Eagles, I think that the Bears win that game, but the Eagles kept picking up 3rd and 8s and stuff, one after the other.

On turnovers, I hear things like, the Bears were lucky to have so many last year. Turnovers are not lucky. Turnovers are created by the defense. I sure hope things get better next week against the Rams. I always cared much more about defense than offense, and I certainly was not happy with that yesterday, despite the 13 points.

Maybe Fangio's greatest strength is how he takes pressure off the secondary, especially safeties.

Calabis

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Ranked #9 overall in the league and are riddled with injuries and also on field all damn game. Settle down

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Floyd could be like Rosie Colvin at the Sam in a 4-3.

redgrange19

Eater of Ham
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Can’t get to the QB and can’t generate turnovers. They don’t pass the eye test of the defense last season.

Anytime45

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Disagree.

Almost everyone said during the off-season there's no way they were going to duplicate the dominant defense of '18 because they got so many turnovers and everyone was healthy.

The defense has not fallen off as much as some posters think they have.

Edit: Just checked ppg stats:

2018: 17.7 ppg
2019: 17.4 pgg

Lol. They are better than last year.
Exactly. I'm shocked at how the majority of people expected the drop off, yet every single drive they're labeled overrated and not good. No Fangio, injuries, harder schedule, less turnovers and absolutely no help from the offense, yet they give up less points thus far than they did last season.

I said it in a thread yesterday. Anytime the Bears give up points, it's a bad time because the offense is worthless. The defense gets so many stops yet the offense does nothing with the opportunities. You ask your D multiple times every game to win it for you. You give the other team enough opportunities and they'll score, that's just how it is. The Bears don't get the benefit of playing with leads often.

This is a great defense. You'd like more sacks and turnovers but at the end of the day, points are king. 17.4 with a worthless offense is a miracle. When your teams offensive explosion is 20 points, you've got problems. Competent offense with this D and you could win it all. I'll die on this hill. But now no Trevathan or Hicks. Playoffs a pipe dream. Mack checking out sometimes. It'll get ugly.

Anytime45

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Can’t get to the QB and can’t generate turnovers. They don’t pass the eye test of the defense last season.
You don't pass the eye test of someone who knows what a good defense is.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Where I would place blame on Pagano would be how he is recently seeming to get owned on a lot of the scripted drives to start the 1st and 2nd halves.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The lack of turnovers hasn't stopped the defense from keeping their points allowed lower than last year. It seems the biggest issue with the lack of turnovers is that the offense isn't getting all these short fields they need to score points.

Xuder O'Clam

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
They miss Hicks, and have not dominated like they did earlier in the season. The run defense is not as stout, creating problems on play action. Still a good unit, but could be even better.

Before the Lions game:

oxXGlzn.png

DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:
Disagree.

Almost everyone said during the off-season there's no way they were going to duplicate the dominant defense of '18 because they got so many turnovers and everyone was healthy.

The defense has not fallen off as much as some posters think they have.

Edit: Just checked ppg stats:

2018: 17.7 ppg
2019: 17.4 pgg

Lol. They are better than last year.
Their PPG may be slightly better, but they are terrible in the 4th quarter when the team needs them the most. In addition, they don't make plays/create turnovers.

They are underachieving.

Chicago Staleys

Realist
Liked Posts:
The lack of turnovers is exposing the offense. Last year the offense was able to put up points because of the short fields. They were a bottom half offense in yards but top 10 in pts scored thanks to the defense.

Nagy’s offense sucked last year too but it didn’t look as bad because the defense was getting a crazy amount of turnovers.

Last edited:

pablovi

Liked Posts:
Defense has not been able to close out games and for the most part looked like a shell of their former selves... Fuller continuing to give large cushions because he's uncomfortable playing press is a problem. Fangio at least forced him into playing press, Pagano seems content letting fuller sit and wait allowing easy pitch and catch. Not sure what happened to the dline and OLB's...How do you let a scrub like driskel play with minimal pressure. If it wasn't for kwik blitzing, driskel on multiple occasions he would have had lots of time pick apart the secondary. Everyone wants to point to the offense being bad and rightfully so but there have been plenty of years where the defense has had to carry the load because the offense was inept. Something is broken with the defense and they need to figure it out fast.

Putrid? One thing is not being as elite as they were last year. But they’re far from putrid.
Pagano does gets out coached most of the time, and they allow a lot of yards, long third down conversions, but they’re still a good defense.