Why isn't Pagano being held accountable for this putrid defense?

pablovi

Liked Posts:
Maybe Fangio's greatest strength is how he takes pressure off the secondary, especially safeties.
That’s it, it makes them look better when you’re getting pressure on the QB. Which they haven’t done this year.

BearFanJohn

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Disagree.

Almost everyone said during the off-season there's no way they were going to duplicate the dominant defense of '18 because they got so many turnovers and everyone was healthy.

The defense has not fallen off as much as some posters think they have.

Edit: Just checked ppg stats:

2018: 17.7 ppg
2019: 17.4 pgg

Lol. They are better than last year.

oh, pesky facts. It is easier to ignore them and make judgements. Hyperbole much?

EDPeezy

Liked Posts:
He’s been alright.

Only time I was really annoyed was the Eagles game when Pederson kept outsmarting him. Teams seem to know his blitz tendencies and burn him occasionally. I’m always worried when I see a screen developing. He’s been decent though for the most part. I don’t think anybody realized how vital Hicks was to everything. The drop off is clear without him.

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Holy lack of perspective batman!

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
The only fall off is the turnovers and defensive tds

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
No one remember this board calling out Fangio getting smoked by Adam Gase last year? Beating McVay was a laughable concept until they played them.

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
The defense is giving up fewer points than they did last year after 9 games. Every other stat is pretty much meaningless. The O is what has hampered the overall team and the record reflects that.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Defense has not been able to close out games and for the most part looked like a shell of their former selves... Fuller continuing to give large cushions because he's uncomfortable playing press is a problem. Fangio at least forced him into playing press, Pagano seems content letting fuller sit and wait allowing easy pitch and catch. Not sure what happened to the dline and OLB's...How do you let a scrub like driskel play with minimal pressure. If it wasn't for kwik blitzing, driskel on multiple occasions he would have had lots of time pick apart the secondary. Everyone wants to point to the offense being bad and rightfully so but there have been plenty of years where the defense has had to carry the load because the offense was inept. Something is broken with the defense and they need to figure it out fast.

Here's the box score below. Now....tell us the "D" didn't get the job done.

Dragon Slayer

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Defense has not been able to close out games and for the most part looked like a shell of their former selves... Fuller continuing to give large cushions because he's uncomfortable playing press is a problem. Fangio at least forced him into playing press, Pagano seems content letting fuller sit and wait allowing easy pitch and catch. Not sure what happened to the dline and OLB's...How do you let a scrub like driskel play with minimal pressure. If it wasn't for kwik blitzing, driskel on multiple occasions he would have had lots of time pick apart the secondary. Everyone wants to point to the offense being bad and rightfully so but there have been plenty of years where the defense has had to carry the load because the offense was inept. Something is broken with the defense and they need to figure it out fast.
Are all of your football thoughts this poor?

TishLover

Liked Posts:
Don't you remember the 1st game against Packers last year? second half?

ridemywheelie

Liked Posts:
Thry can't seem to get the key stops when the game is on the line. I always expect the opposing team to come back in the 4th quarter.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Thry can't seem to get the key stops when the game is on the line. I always expect the opposing team to come back in the 4th quarter.

LOL.....the "D" held the Lions to 13pts. Take a hard look at the box score below......then tell us how our "D" isn't getting the job done

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Disagree.

Almost everyone said during the off-season there's no way they were going to duplicate the dominant defense of '18 because they got so many turnovers and everyone was healthy.

The defense has not fallen off as much as some posters think they have.

Edit: Just checked ppg stats:

2018: 17.7 ppg
2019: 17.4 pgg

Lol. They are better than last year.
Interceptions. 2018 - .67 per game. 2019 - 1.69 per game.
Sacks 2018- 3.3 per game. 2019 - 2.78 per game
Fumbles were ahead last year as well.

They are fine but they are worse than last year, which was expected after the injury luck and good bounces of 2018.

Anytime45

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Totally. They were great when they couldn't get off the field against Oakland or Philadelphia.
Picking and choosing which games define them is cool. You literally bitch on drives where they force punts.

Did they pass the eye test last year in Miami? Or vs NYG? NE?

They don't need to make splash plays to be a good defense. The Panthers are 1st in sacks and 3rd in INTs. They give up 25 points a game and aren't weighed down by a historically awful offense. Thanks.

redgrange19

Eater of Ham
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Picking and choosing which games define them is cool. You literally bitch on drives where they force punts.

Did they pass the eye test last year in Miami? Or vs NYG? NE?

They don't need to make splash plays to be a good defense. The Panthers are 1st in sacks and 3rd in INTs. They give up 25 points a game and aren't weighed down by a historically awful offense. Thanks.

You're welcome. I think we can agree to disagree that they're a good defense. You lose a player like Hicks, you will lose massive production, I get that.

I hope they prove me wrong for the rest of the season. I'd like to see some of those splash plays that we've become accustom to.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The offense was supposed to pick up the slack after the predictable step down in turnovers the D gave them in 2018. That sorry tale starts at the OL and works it's way back to the feet the OC/HC. Everyone is on that side of the ball is involved in the clusterfuck called the Chicago Bear offense.

CAP BOSO

Liked Posts:
Putrid is a little much, but I get what the OP is saying. The D is not creating any spark. Turnovers aren't happening like last year and the pass rush is pretty weak. Go watch the first few games and see how the they are flying around compared to now. It's awesome to be only giving up 17 pts a game, but when the D is what is supposed to be the bread and butter, we expect some games where they just dominate and win themselves.

Anytime45

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
You're welcome. I think we can agree to disagree that they're a good defense. You lose a player like Hicks, you will lose massive production, I get that.

I hope they prove me wrong for the rest of the season. I'd like to see some of those splash plays that we've become accustom to.
There's no doubt he's a huge loss and i think losing Danny is gonna be tough long term as well. I just think them being constantly shit on is a bit much but yeah, agree to disagree.

Jack Lantern

Liked Posts:

With the rules of todays NFL it's hard to play defense. I mean just do a search on youtube. Easily over half the highlights you see on the 85 Bears defense would result in not only penalties but fines and players getting kicked out of games in todays world.

What set last years team apart were health and turnovers. It was one of those special seasons ball bounces were going their way. The first Green Bay game there were a slew of up for grabs tip balls that went untouched. Last years team the ball would have had eyes and went straight to the Bears players hands, heh.

SlickWilly

Team Ignore Member #2
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Detroit Pistons
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
The regression in the D can be traced to one individual. Akeim Hicks. He was the run stuffer, he had to be double teamed if a team was going to run, moving a double team off of Eddie Goldman. Also, he required assistance on pass rush downs by the O line. As it is right now Mack is being double/triple teamed. Everything hinged on Hicks. Replacements are not as good.
Exactly this. Hicks' pass rush was as good as his run stuffing. He's an absolute stud.