Why isn't Pagano being held accountable for this putrid defense?

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
I don’t think the fall off in D can be attributed mostly to losing Hicks. He’s great, but we have good backups behind him in RRH and Williams. Shit, Williams has 6 sacks this season, which is pretty much Hicks-like production.

It’s the same shit every year, our defense tends to fall off because they get burned out from playing too much. We are extremely lucky ONCE AGAIN this year with injuries.

Rob219_CBMB

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Floyd sucks, It's not Pagano's fault that Pace can't draft and didn't bother to trade away Floyd or find a replacement.
The dude been lacking since TC.

Thedude

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
at the half of Eagles game the bears had 9 yards of offense with score 12-0. That like playing blindfolded

SlickWilly

Team Ignore Member #2
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Detroit Pistons
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
I don’t think the fall off in D can be attributed mostly to losing Hicks. He’s great, but we have good backups behind him in RRH and Williams. Shit, Williams has 6 sacks this season, which is pretty much Hicks-like production.

It’s the same shit every year, our defense tends to fall off because they get burned out from playing too much. We are extremely lucky ONCE AGAIN this year with injuries.
Do you think maybe Williams has 6 sacks because he isn't doubled like Hicks is? Not having to double Hicks means doubles go to shut down Mack. Hicks is an All Pro for a reason.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
What ? Should the "D" spot the "O" 2-3 Td's a game? And hold the opponent to shutout

jsu34

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
No one on the defense sucks. They just aren't all superstars, which is ok.

They are still ranked 5th or 6th in points allowed.

I still say if the offense were mediocre we'd have a totally different view of the D.

Anytime45

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
No one on the defense sucks. They just aren't all superstars, which is ok.

They are still ranked 5th or 6th in points allowed.

I still say if the offense were mediocre we'd have a totally different view of the D.
4th. I’m gonna call Halas Hall and demand Chuck gets fired.

vinson555

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I saw what started this topic and made me laugh we may not be a top 3 defense like last year, but I'll take this defense with last years offence, we'd likely be 8 and 1 right now. 6 and 3 at worst.

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
Bears defense was dominant against the packers and Vikings. Besides that they have been just ‘good.’ Last year they were absolutely dominant, and they simply don’t feel that way since hick’s injury. Mack has been good, not great. Secondary has been okay but exposed at times.

Quoting the PPG? Lmao bears have played a saints team without Brees and kamara. They’ve played a lions team without Stafford and kerryon Johnson. They played the broncos and redskins, both teams that have since made QB changes since then because they suck. The chargers have been ass on offense this year. They really haven’t been dominant aside from the Vikings and packers game.

that being said ... the offense is absolute ass so who cares what the defense does?

jsu34

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Bears defense was dominant against the packers and Vikings. Besides that they have been just ‘good.’ Last year they were absolutely dominant, and they simply don’t feel that way since hick’s injury. Mack has been good, not great. Secondary has been okay but exposed at times.

Quoting the PPG? Lmao bears have played a saints team without Brees and kamara. They’ve played a lions team without Stafford and kerryon Johnson. They played the broncos and redskins, both teams that have since made QB changes since then because they suck. The chargers have been ass on offense this year. They really haven’t been dominant aside from the Vikings and packers game.

that being said ... the offense is absolute ass so who cares what the defense does?
PPG is being used to tought the 9ers. Why not for the bears?

Anyway. The Brees-less Saints were undefeated. With Brees they got kick-stomped by Atlanta.

Teams have to play the opponents in front of them, and based on that the bears D is top 5 in PPG.

EDPeezy

Liked Posts:
We were up big in a lot of games last year and gave up tons of garbage yards and points in prevent.

This season they‘re behind all the time and our offense is the one accumulating garbage time numbers against prevent defenses.

The numbers are lying. The D last year was way better. Not that the D this year has been bad. Pointing to ppg numbers though isnt telling the true story and it’s clear many of you are just latching onto that stat in order to create a false narrative.

How many points did last years D create compared to this years? The numbers can’t even be close.

And I haven’t looked them up but I’d bet the numbers have dropped significantly in a lot of key areas ever since they lost Hicks. The run D has been getting gashed without him.

quicksand30

Liked Posts:
Statistically, they are ranked 4th on points given up per game, are top 10 in yards allowed, and respectable in several other categories. They are solid. They aren't bad, but they aren't special like they were last year. Their takeaways and sack levels aren't as exciting as last year, so it feels disappointing. This year they are "good", last year they were "elite". That said, there's something a bit off that they haven't adjusted to with Pagano's scheme. They have bad fits or are too soft at times, or simply undisciplined.

pfcmsh

Liked Posts:
Floyd sucks, It's not Pagano's fault that Pace can't draft and didn't bother to trade away Floyd or find a replacement.
The dude been lacking since TC.
I see it as Pagano's fault. Fangio had the same players last year. Yes, Hicks is hurt, but he is only one guy. Our guys give the receivers toooo much space. It seems like a bend and do not break defense to me. I hate what I see out there with the great players we have.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I believe the Bears are currently 6th in yards allowed and 4th in points allowed.

That is all with the worst offense in the league.

Interesting definition of "putrid".

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
I believe the Bears are currently 6th in yards allowed and 4th in points allowed.

That is all with the worst offense in the league.

Interesting definition of "putrid".

I thought this defense would be funner than fangio but complete opposite is true. Pagano is resembling more bend don’t break crap we saw under dick juaron then that fun defense with blitzes everyone was talking about in the offseason

SlickWilly

Team Ignore Member #2
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Detroit Pistons
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
I see it as Pagano's fault. Fangio had the same players last year. Yes, Hicks is hurt, but he is only one guy. Our guys give the receivers toooo much space. It seems like a bend and do not break defense to me. I hate what I see out there with the great players we have.
Jesus there are so many people on this board who are just clueless as to how important and good Hicks is.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
We were up big in a lot of games last year and gave up tons of garbage yards and points in prevent.

This season they‘re behind all the time and our offense is the one accumulating garbage time numbers against prevent defenses.

The numbers are lying. The D last year was way better. Not that the D this year has been bad. Pointing to ppg numbers though isnt telling the true story and it’s clear many of you are just latching onto that stat in order to create a false narrative.

How many points did last years D create compared to this years? The numbers can’t even be close.

And I haven’t looked them up but I’d bet the numbers have dropped significantly in a lot of key areas ever since they lost Hicks. The run D has been getting gashed without him.

You realize that the big plays on defense are simply not sustainable on a year to year basis right? Regardless of how good a defense is, big plays/turnovers/defensive TD's have big variances & regressions from one year to the next. This is fact. The big plays were going to regress. And they have.

Rob219_CBMB

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
it'll be a lot better if Floyd could figure out how to run into the Qb instead of around the qb...

Rob219_CBMB

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
this thread sucks, get the defense off of the field, but Nagy & Co, ain't helping.... also, find Floyd's replacement next off season.