Why the Bears won't take a QB before round 4

JurisFrog

Liked Posts:
Because it makes no sense to.

If Pace and Nagy are really on the "hot seat" as everyone around here says, and if they are really in a "win now" mode, and if they will be fired if the Bears don't make a decent playoff run this season, why in the heck would they trade up to take a QB early?

For the Bears to trade up high enough to get a QB that would be a difference-maker this season, they would have to trade up higher in the first round, potentially much higher. All their draft capital would be gone. The team wouldn't get better. You'd have a QB for the future potentially, but at the expense of improving your team this season. That makes no sense for a "hot seat" crew.

There's no way they draft a QB in the 2nd or 3rd round. The chance of a 2nd or 3rd round QB making a difference this season is essentially zero.

Does anyone seriously think that the Bears could win (deep into the playoffs) with a rookie QB this season, while at the same time trading away all their draft capital? Does anyone seriously think that taking, say, Mac Jones, even if he slides somewhat, will make the Bears a contender, all while missing out on the rest of the draft?

No freaking way.

The Bears need offensive linemen, CB's, WR's, and depth at other positions.

The Bears have a proven QB now in Dalton. Any draft pick is entirely un-proven, as we learned with Mitch. The Bears can win with Dalton, as long as we have an OL to protect him.

My bet is that the Bears take two OL's, a CB, and a WR with their first four picks. If, and it's a big if, they get a QB, it will be a project in round 6, or an UDFA.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Andy Dalton isn't good. Everything you say is based on the assumption that he will play well.

2/3 QBs draft in the top 10 last year played better than Andy Dalton.

Andy Dalton plus better OL play means the Bears win 8-9 games. Andy Dalton plus better QB play means the Bears win 8-9 games.

QB is the issue.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Andy Dalton isn't good. Everything you say is based on the assumption that he will play well.

2/3 QBs draft in the top 10 last year played better than Andy Dalton.

Andy Dalton plus better OL play means the Bears win 8-9 games. Andy Dalton plus better QB play means the Bears win 8-9 games.

QB is the issue.
Dalton is QB1
Foles is QB1.5
If they draft a QB in the first round, he will likely be QB3 and moved to the practice squad where he only gets reps when Tyler Bray gets COVID.

Urblock

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Draft a QB in the 1st round until you get one. When you do keep drafting QBs. This is easy

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
There are QB prospects in this draft that could make a dramatic and immediate impact this season...

ForcefulFeminineFossa-size_restricted.gif

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
It depends how the draft goes, I dont think you can uniformly wave off the possibility until you see who is available for the Bears picks.

With that said, looking at the big picture, i'm hoping Bears ownership has decided to let Pace eat the salary cap shit sandwhich that is this year, and then hand over the team to a new GM next year with a bunch of free space (granted every team will have a bunch of space), all their picks, the opportunity to choose his coach AND QB of the future, and 1 less year of garaunteed money on the OT, iLB, and OLB bad contracts. Thats not necessarily what I think is happening, but its what im hoping for.

bufordht

Liked Posts:
Does anyone actually think the bears will only look at the win loss record when they decide what to do with Pace/Nagy?

8-9 with no real plan at QB and an aging defense

Or

6-11 with a Young QB showing promise

Which scenario bodes better for Pace/Navy?

Leomaz

Pissing people off the right way!
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
  2. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Dalton is QB1
Foles is QB1.5
If they draft a QB in the first round, he will likely be QB3 and moved to the practice squad where he only gets reps when Tyler Bray gets COVID.
Tyler Bray is not a Chicago Bear.

Leomaz

Pissing people off the right way!
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
  2. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
There are QB prospects in this draft that could make a dramatic and immediate impact this season...

ForcefulFeminineFossa-size_restricted.gif
Unless he has to play against good defenses?

****sarcasm****

Last edited:

msadows

Liked Posts:
Would anyone here bet their job/career on Andy Dalton?

Didn't think so.

Very obvious pace/nagy are trying to do anything they can to get one of the top 5.

Its the only way to ensure they are here past this year if this isn't a playoff squad, which, they shouldn't be.

E.F.Hutton

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Does anyone actually think the bears will only look at the win loss record when they decide what to do with Pace/Nagy?

Or

I'll take door number 2. I don't see either Pace or Nagy surviving another botched attempt at acquiring a franchise quarterback .

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats

Or

I'll take option B, and I don't think Pace/Nagy are losing their jobs regardless

msadows

Liked Posts:
Alabama was a top 20 defense, and he was playing hurt...

EachFixedBlacklab-size_restricted.gif

Gosh darnit, we can't draft that peyton manning guy. Nebraska embarrassed him.

/s

Seriously, that clemson game by Fields was as impressed I've ever been by a prospect I wasn't too high on. It made me change my tune on wanting him.

Every QB has clunkers, some people don't remember past last year. Peyton laid an absolute egg in his last game as a college athlete.