CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
I'm a Bears fan because the Cardinals left town.
My grandpa (Big sky point to you, Pop-Pop) was a Cardinals fan and absolutely hated Halas for running the Cardinals out of town. It's also why he was a White Sox fan, because as most real Chicagoans (read: NOT @Montucky) know the Cardinals were more aligned with the south side and the White Sox. While the Bears were aligned with the Cubs.

"Cubs grow into Bears," is what he would say.

melm

Liked Posts:
My gramps went to the cardinals championship winning game in LA on his honeymoon.

Bitched a little bit about the bears, but didn't want to ruin my healthy obsession with Walter Payton and Doug Plank.

Family lived in South shore until 1964, then move to The Burbs.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Cause I grew up in Chicago?

Also, Rex Grossman.

Butkus34

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
It was the late 70's and I watched a game where Payton ran all over the Vikings and was hooked.

Dejo

Godfather of FTO
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Real Salt Lake
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Utah Jazz
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Utah Utes
Character flaw on my end, picked them after my DL coach showed us some tapes of Da Bears, I stick with my choices.

Biscuit

Liked Posts:
Concannon to Gordon, Butkus catching a PAT

Haha Jack Concannon, another in a long line of mediocre/bad Bears QBs. Best remembered for a small part in the movie M*A*S*H and beating the rap for possession of a kilo of coke.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
Disclaimer - I'm not a Bears fan.

With that being said, I always liked them. It started with Tecmo Bowl. Walter Payton was awesome and that defense was still top tier. I don't know why, but I liked Payton better than Bo. Maybe I just didn't like the Raiders much?

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
As a child, my dad said I was allowed to cuss only when we were watching the bears game, and even then only if my mom wasn't in the room.

Then my mom was all about us having father - son time and was always scheduling things around the bears game so we would always be able to watch.

Pretty sweet deal. Sucks about all the shitty seasons in my lifetime though.

mcbear34

Here for the Wins
Liked Posts:
My Dad was a Cowboys fan (boo) and my Mom a Bears fan. Walter Payton sealed the deal.

discplayer

Liked Posts:
It was the day I saw Walter Payton get ejected from a football game against Atlanta
Ha! I remember that game like it was yesterday! Walter was stopped just short of the goal line (a TD would put CHI up 24-14) and was down when the ball was jarred loose, Falcons recovering. When Payton ran to the official to protest he kinda lost his footing and stumbled into him. The ref immediately threw the flag and tossed him, and upheld the ATL recovery. Instead of retaining possession and scoring 7, or at least 3, Bartkowski and the Falcons go onto win 24-17.

As much as we leaned on Walter as our offense back then, losing him then actually DID cost us the game.

I became a fan when we moved to Chicago heading into the ‘70 season. Watching Butkus and Sayers still playing, and playing their hearts out hooked me. Then Payton’s rookie year sealed the deal!

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Ha! I remember that game like it was yesterday! Walter was stopped just short of the goal line (a TD would put CHI up 24-14) and was down when the ball was jarred loose, Falcons recovering. When Payton ran to the official to protest he kinda lost his footing and stumbled into him. The ref immediately threw the flag and tossed him, and upheld the ATL recovery. Instead of retaining possession and scoring 7, or at least 3, Bartkowski and the Falcons go onto win 24-17.

As much as we leaned on Walter as our offense back then, losing him then actually DID cost us the game.

I became a fan when we moved to Chicago heading into the ‘70 season. Watching Butkus and Sayers still playing, and playing their hearts out hooked me. Then Payton’s rookie year sealed the deal!
I was just a small kid back then but I remember being pissed off enough to become a life long fan.

DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:
Didn't grow up in Chicago or Illinois, as my parents moved the family to Las Vegas two years before I was born because my older brother had bad Asthma. Or so they say. They also were gambling addicts and wanted to move as far away from family and the City of West Chicago as possible.

Grew up without a team in Las Vegas then Tucson. Brothers and distant cousins sent VHS tapes of the Bears and it was a part of me. A part of my past and connection to a place I never really knew or understood. It makes no sense but the Bears are my team. Haven't missed a game in 2+ decades and I rocked the shit out of Bears gear in Tucson and El Paso in the 80s and 90s.

chitown2387

Liked Posts:
Let me get drunk & I'll tell you how I made such a stupid decision.

Bear Nation

Liked Posts:
Growing up in CA in the 80s surrounded by 49ers and Raiders fans I learned that Jim McMahon was my aunt’s cousin. Around that same time the Bears were in the media everywhere you looked and capped it off by winning the Super Bowl. After that I was hooked and the rest is history.

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
I was a Steelers fan as a kid and obviously, like 95% of my life choices, I made a bad decision and started watching the bears in the early 80s.