Why wait until Black Monday?

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I know at his point of the season, there's no turning things around with a new coach. And there are some guys who seem almost certain to lose their jobs on Black Monday this year.

But how do you wait, and why would you wait, on these guys -

Todd Bowles - his team just allowed 41 points to a team that scored 96 all season prior to today. And he is a defensive minded head coach. He has done zero in NY and it's a foregone conclusion he will be fired. Good luck in the second half, Jets fans.

Marvin Lewis - Why do I bother? This guy, after 15 years with no playoff wins, actually resigned, and the team responded by extending him two years. But he is also a defensive HC and his team has been hammered twice recently. After a good start, they are getting throttled by any good team they face. They're still over .500, but for how long? Part of me thinks they should make a Back to The Future IV, 72 years into the future, and should show Marvin Lewis still on Cincy's sideline.

The other coaches expected to be let go at least can hang on for a while. But why wait on these two?

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Add Vance Joseph to that list too. He sucks.

westcoast bear fanatic

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Could Pace please fire John Fox one more time this Black Monday, can't believe that old coot got a 3rd season.

The Boletarian

Liked Posts:
Todd Bowles - his team just allowed 41 points to a team that scored 96 all season prior to today. And he is a defensive minded head coach. He has done zero in NY and it's a foregone conclusion he will be fired. Good luck in the second half, Jets fans.

After what I saw last week where the refs gifted the Bills their only touchdown, this should happen now. That's just inexcusable.

Dragon Slayer

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
What good does it do to fire a coach mid season? It's not like you're going to get a jump on hiring another coach and it basically just says to your team that you're throwing in the towel.

The Boletarian

Liked Posts:
What good does it do to fire a coach mid season? It's not like you're going to get a jump on hiring another coach and it basically just says to your team that you're throwing in the towel.

Give your assistants a chance to show you/the league something since they'll most likely be gone at the end of the year. Show your team that you hold your coaches accountable.

Dragon Slayer

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Give your assistants a chance to show you/the league something since they'll most likely be gone at the end of the year. Show your team that you hold your coaches accountable.

Right, so in the Bears example last year, they should have fired Fox and gave the HC job to Dowell???? Makes no sense. As much as I hated riding it out with Fox it was probably the right decision.

I know, I know, could have been Fangio too but Dowell fits my narrative better lmao.

The Boletarian

Liked Posts:
Right, so in the Bears example last year, they should have fired Fox and gave the HC job to Dowell???? Makes no sense. As much as I hated riding it out with Fox it was probably the right decision.

I know, I know, could have been Fangio too but Dowell fits my narrative better lmao.

I thought he should have been gone after we were I think 4-11 and he didn't go for it on 4th and 6 inches from mid field. And yeah, would have been better to get an idea of how Fangio could have done. Then again, you'd technically have to had to fire Fangio then I believe right? So I'm kinda glad we didn't.

Britbuffguy

Liked Posts:
Mike McCarthy losing his job would make most of my state pretty happy. I think most of the fans are done with him.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:

Aren't the Browns doing better without Jackman.

cbo0485

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm glad fox got his 3rd season. We most likely wouldn't have gotten nagy if he was fired after hiss exond hear.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

TL1961

Liked Posts:

Exactly the opposite.

Firing your coach midseason allows you to contact other coaches without looking bad for doing so with a guy still in his job.

You only do it if the season is gone. You don't throw in the towel if you are GB or even Dallas, though they're unlikely to get into contention. So the same would go for Cincy, except, they're not in contention and it has been 15 years in the making. (Actually, that would be so great. Keep the guy for 15 years and fire him with a record above .500)

TL1961

Liked Posts:

You don't fire him and give the assistant the job full time. This is why, late in the year, you will see a team fire its coach after game 14. Get a little jump on contacting candidates.

AustinIllini

Lifetime of futility
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Seattle Sounders FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Dallas Stars
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini

Usually (we were an exception), the assistants are gone with the boss. The new guy gets his pick of assistants.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
On a different note, I'd like the league to move the trade deadline to week 10. By then, there would be a few more sellers and the trade market would be a lot like MLB's(minus the minor Leaguers). Teams would be more willing to deal for the stretch run. Used to be at week 6 and this year it was week 8 but another 2 weeks and the trades would easily double

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Marvin "Ninety Lives" Lewis has found another scapegoat.

After firing his offensive coordinator in season last year, he has fired defensive coordinator Teryl Austin this time around.

That ought to fix everything!