Why we should NOT pick Nelson

TexasBearfan

Liked Posts:
I have compiled some articles that have positions ranked by importance in the NFL.....The best most recent Oline the Bears have had IMO was when we had Tait, Ruben Brown (at the end of his career), Kreutz, Garza with no cartilage and Miller. Tait and Ruben were both 1st rounders, the max a RB averaged per carry while these 2 played together was 4.25 yds/carry and that was for 1 year with really good TE play and a true #1 WR. The O line last year, trying not to get our giraffe neck'd statue killed still got Howard 4.05 yards/carry with a 7th round LT, the 4th round Sitton...Long was obviously a 1st rounder but missed half the season. Not a single one of the 3 articles below has OG ranked in the top 10 most important positions on the field. All have safety and pass rusher ranked higher. Take the 2000 Cowboys w/ Larry Allen...what was Emmitt Smith's ypc? 4.09 So someone convince me why we should pass on an elite defender in the 1st round...knowing that defense wins championships..

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000503855/article/ranking-each-positions-importance-from-quarterback-to-returner

https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/gallery/nfl-position-importance-ranking-value-every-player-053117

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1659834-power-ranking-the-importance-of-each-position-in-todays-nfl

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
No argument from me but to be clear, Garza was missing an ACL and had cartilage. We didn't hire Heistand for his draft knowledge, we hired him to make O linemen.

napo55

Liked Posts:
The question is whether you can draft a top OG or LB/DE in the second round. Seems clear you can pick the defensive player in the first and still get a very. very good interior lineman in the second. Doubtful if you can do the same with the defensive player.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
It’s really not even worth arguing over anyway because it’ll all be moot in about 24 hours, but hell:

It’s all about expectations. I actually really like Nelson, but I fear my fellow Bears fans are expecting something that’s just not true. There are fans on this board who think drafting Nelson means Trubisky’s sacks will go way down, and we’ll have Trubs’ main protection in place for years to come. That’s just not true. Nelson is an excellent run blocker and a good pass blocker. If your main concern is Trubisky, you can find good pass blockers later in the draft, and you can find them at tackle.

So, if you’re wanting Nelson, at least adjust your expectations: Expect a good-to-great NFL offensive guard whose bread and butter is run blocking. A small piece of an overall offensive puzzle. Nothing more. Nothing less. Is that worth a top 8 pick to you? Over a potential game-changer? Maybe it is for you.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
If your goal is to protect Trubisky it should be done at the tackle first and foremost.

Yes, exactly. That’s part of the reason I think it’s very unlikely Pace picks Nelson. The other part is that I’ve seen no real evidence that Pace values the O-Line over any other position. If anything, the opposite.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
Whether you like Nelson or not, we did bring him in for a personal visit. And its not like our staff didn't have more info on him than any other team out there even before that.

It has to mean something...

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
If your goal is to protect Trubisky it should be done at the tackle first and foremost.

Debatable. If a tackle isn't particularly great, like our NFL average RT Massie for instance, then so long as the interior of the line holds up the QB still has a pocket to climb for that extra second or two to make a play. If the interior of your line folds then the QB is plain old screwed into making a play with his legs assuming an OLB or DE isn't there waiting to rock his ass.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Whether you like Nelson or not, we did bring him in for a personal visit. And its not like our staff doesn't have more info on him than any other team out there.

It has to mean something...

Or it may not mean anything. The Bears bring in a lot of people they don't wind up drafting

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Debatable. If a tackle isn't particularly great, like our NFL average RT Massie for instance, then so long as the interior of the line holds up the QB still has a pocket to climb for that extra second or two to make a play. If the interior of your line folds then the QB is plain old screwed into making a play with his legs assuming an OLB or DE isn't there waiting to rock his ass.

But Nelson isn't going to protect Trubisky that much more, if any, than a good guard or center in the 2nd round.

Nelson has some legendary status built around him that he can't do anything wrong. I don't think he is going to be that much better than a good interior lineman in the second.

Toast88

Liked Posts:

Very true—a small piece to a much larger offensive puzzle. Not a game-changer. If you’re fine with that at #8, that’s cool. To each their own.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
People that want Nelson don't get the big picture,

top edge or Lb in 1st + OG in the second > Nelson in the 1st + top edge or LB available in the second. And to make matters worse, there is no 3rd round pick......

It's all a moot point anyways, as Nelson will be gone by 8, but I will not lose my shit if he happens to be there and Pace picks him, just shrug my shoulders and say not what I would have done. Now, if for some stupid reason Pace trades up to take Nelson, then people need to be really pissed.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats

So are you saying Orlando Brown in the second round? He could compete with Massie for snaps at RT, and I had heard others say that he might have to move to OG to keep him from having to deal with speed rushers.

Which isnt a bad thing to move him inside. If I remember right, the Chief's system (how tired are we of talking about the Chiefs on a Bears board?) had some mammoths playing guard.

Newblood

Liked Posts:
Or it may not mean anything. The Bears bring in a lot of people they don't wind up drafting

Not to mention teams will bring in players they have no intention to draft, just to give other teams a false sense of they're draft priorities. AKA: smokescreen

TexasBearfan

Liked Posts:
People that want Nelson don't get the big picture,

top edge or Lb in 1st + OG in the second > Nelson in the 1st + top edge or LB available in the second. And to make matters worse, there is no 3rd round pick......

this is why I like the idea of possibly picking a C.....move Whitehair back to OG where he excelled....Kreutz was a pro bowler we got in the 3rd. My main point was made by Toast above....having the 2nd best pass rusher beats having the best OG...assuming he even IS the best OG.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The closer we get the more I hope Nelson just goes before us and we don't have to deal with the question or drama that will ensue here either way.

I feel good about the offense because I believe White is a #2+. I once compared him to Sanu, and predicted Sanu would out perform him. I believe that wage was about 100 of you against and 2 for.

I sold high on a guy I felt lacked pure WR skills like seperation or hands. But this isn't that White, this is year 4, humbled, hungrier than any human alive White. He has coaches that know how to teach their system, that know routes, and offense and an offense that suits him. We don't need him to blow up, we need 700 yards, to be a threat as the #2 against single coverage, and to stay healthy.

Yes we need another WR but give Gabriel/Cohen a chance to catch 75 balls combined in addition to White. With 2 TE's there aren't many more balls.

If we get can get that 12/22 package....and then we get Nelson or Davenport at #12....or Ward or Fitzpatrick or Edmunds...something good will be at 12 to impact the defense and we can get WR or OLB/S/G/CB all available at 22 again.

A good player should be available in this draft at position of need at 39 also. You start talking about addressing 3 of those positions in first 39 and that is how we win draft day.

I'm happy with most of the guys at 8, I'm even happier to get more prized picks because this draft is about 40-50 deep in immediate difference makers.

There is a tier to 7. A tier to 14. And another 15-40. Like is Vanden Bosch definitively more valuable than the 4th safety or McGlinchey? Or Payne?

I love the way this draft sets up for us about anything we do, Pace will have to be an idiot to fuck it up.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange

So they won't draft all 30 of the players they bring in? Tell us more.

Visionman

Liked Posts:

Use one of our 30 visits on a guy they already know well AND have no interest in?

Channeling ommy...not buying it.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
So are you saying Orlando Brown in the second round? He could compete with Massie for snaps at RT, and I had heard others say that he might have to move to OG to keep him from having to deal with speed rushers.

Which isnt a bad thing to move him inside. If I remember right, the Chief's system (how tired are we of talking about the Chiefs on a Bears board?) had some mammoths playing guard.

I think there will be several candidates at the G/C position and possibly a T

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
But Nelson isn't going to protect Trubisky that much more, if any, than a good guard or center in the 2nd round.

Nelson has some legendary status built around him that he can't do anything wrong. I don't think he is going to be that much better than a good interior lineman in the second.

I think Sitton gave up 1 or 2 sacks all of last season.

Use one of our 30 visits on a guy they already know well AND have no interest in?

Channeling ommy...not buying it.

They met with Kizer 4 times.