Wide Receiver & Cornerback

Liked Posts:
First & does anyone even have a general idea of what the Bears cap situation is going to be in 2021?

That being said, the past couple of years the Bears have been rewarding some of their better young players with new contracts.

Depending on what the cap situation is going to be, I would have to imagine that at some point the Bears are going to have to let someone, or even more than one, good or better player walk or even trade.

If that is the case, I believe that Allen Robinson is due a new deal after this season. This draft appears to have a surplus of WR talent. Unless theyre is an early run on WRs, & even then, I still wouldnt be shocked to see a standout talent at the WR position available when the Bears are up in round 2. Same with CB.

If a talent like Claypool, or similar WR talent is on the board when the Bears pick with either second rounder, & I would have to bet there will be, do you take that WR? Especially if they are the BPA?

I would RRRREALLY have a hard time saying no to a talent like, or a WR talent even similar to Claypool, in round 2 of all places.

If Robinson is a question mark after this season, would you want to consider focusing on adressing the WR position now, knowing they often need time to develope?

CB is another intriguing position in this class, thats just as stacked in talent as WR. The Bears do need another outside CB, & the draft talent at CB looks like it very well could be available to justify the need. Also like WR, CB tends to need time to develop.

I dont believe that Nagy & Trubisky are the only asses on the hot seat. I think Pace is as well, & his best chance saving his job is obviously to aquire as much talent as possible.

Right now I would have to bet on CB & WR positions to give Pace his best shots at aquiring that sufficient talent.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Yeah i think most on here besides msadows is good with drafting a WR with one of the 2nd rounders and many actually think it's a must to have a speed receiver which is where i'm at. If Mims or Claypool or Reagor or G.Davis and K.J Hamler, who i think is kinda a sleeper WR in this draft, are there at #43 or #50 then i'm good with us drafting any of the 5.

I really want a trade down with at least one of those two picks and maybe even both as long as we still keep a pick or picks in the 2nd round to go with whatever else we get in the trades . The thing with R.Pace though is he's shown he has no problem with making bold trades and think he could see a player he really want somewere in the 1st round and trade up for him which IMO there shouldn't be any trading up unless it comes after a trade down with adding picks.

I'm good with letting Toliver, Roberson and Burns fight it out for the CB2 spot.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
I'm not against using one of our 2nd rounders to improve our receiving corps. Nor am I against getting a startable CB.

It just can't come at the expense of drafting OL. Our other 2nd rounder should be used to beef up the line.

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:
I started a post a few days ago generally outlining what the cap is looking like in 2021. OCD got the best of me with this quarantine shit.

Leno and Massie can walk after this season with minimal cap hit. That’s why I think one of the 2nd round picks will be an OT. Wouldn’t mind Reagor or Mims if one of them fell. Pace should be trying to extend Robinson yesterday.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
If we can add a Mims or Reagor or a guy i really like in K.J Hamler to go with ARob and A.Miller our WR unit will have some serious talent. Then all we'll need is for Nagy to know how to use them as well as use the running game and the TE's.

Noonthirtyjoe

Liked Posts:
I don't want any wrs. We don't need any. We need to get oline and te and ss and CB and RB and QB if one falls. These are more important.

mceownr22

PacetheGawd
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
If it is a HUGE BPA WR I would Pace jumps at it, same with CB. We will be drafting a S with one of those picks, preferably a BPA OL as well. Haven't done enough individual research to see who those players dropping might be yet.

I think the S Delpit is projected to be around that spot in draft.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
We don't really need a CB. We can find a quality SS outside of rd 2, and ehat we already have is serviceable.

What we need is a speed WR and a TE to develop. Unless a top OT drops, I see those two being the most likely picks in rd 2.

Liked Posts:
I don't want any wrs. We don't need any. We need to get oline and te and ss and CB and RB and QB if one falls. These are more important.

I dont "want" a WR either per say either, but I DO want the most talented players on the board when the Bears pick.

Personally I would like or prefer a young QB, OT, TE, or CB & in that order. Ive wanted a new first round OT from in the draft since Carimi busted out, & TE talent. Unfortunately Im not so sure the talent will be there to justify certain needs.

I just believe that the WR & CB give Pace his best shots at aquiring two first round talents outside of the first round. Those areas are stacked.

Even though this is a deep class, the field of talent the Bears are going to start off with is going to be significantly narrowed.

I dont believe the Bears have the luxury to mess around with drafting by need. When you can buy yourself the luxury of finding a couple of first round blue chip talents, in spite of not having a first round pick, you are going to do your roster a huge service.

As long theyre every down players, Im not so sure I care about what positions they are, with the Bears given set of circumstances.

Liked Posts:
We don't really need a CB. We can find a quality SS outside of rd 2, and ehat we already have is serviceable.

What we need is a speed WR and a TE to develop. Unless a top OT drops, I see those two being the most likely picks in rd 2.

Id dont care about what the Bears "need" though. I want good players.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
I dont believe that Nagy & Trubisky are the only asses on the hot seat. I think Pace is as well, & his best chance saving his job is obviously to aquire as much talent as possible.

Right now I would have to bet on CB & WR positions to give Pace his best shots at aquiring that sufficient talent.
So, in your opinion, the best bet for someone in the hot seat is to bring in as much talent as possible that will possibly be an option to start in 2021?

When someone is on the hot seat, their main concern is what is happening now and how you can improve the situation now. Pace already has a #1 receiver and potentially a #2 receiver. If Pace is on the hot seat, he is probably not thinking of a receiver in the 2nd round because he may not be around for the receiver's breakout 2nd season in 2021.

If Pace feels the flames licking at his back end, he is going to try to fill his worst holes on the team like RG and CB.

If Pace is not on the hot seat (he has pictures of Teddy and some sheep), then he could consider adding talent that can be kept on the shelf until 2021.

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:
A lot of this really depends on if an extension can get done with Robinson. If not, he’s gonna get paid by someone after this season. If they’re not close on one, WR suddenly becomes a bigger need to take advantage of this WR draft class.

Applefan

Liked Posts:

Unless Patterson is gonna get as many targets as a healthy Gabriel did, we are gonna need another wr in the top 4 rotation. At leat one 4.3, 4.4 blazer is needed. Preferably a guy over 5'10.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Yeah i think most on here besides msadows is good with drafting a WR with one of the 2nd rounders and many actually think it's a must to have a speed receiver which is where i'm at. If Mims or Claypool or Reagor or G.Davis and K.J Hamler, who i think is kinda a sleeper WR in this draft, are there at #43 or #50 then i'm good with us drafting any of the 5.

I really want a trade down with at least one of those two picks and maybe even both as long as we still keep a pick or picks in the 2nd round to go with whatever else we get in the trades . The thing with R.Pace though is he's shown he has no problem with making bold trades and think he could see a player he really want somewere in the 1st round and trade up for him which IMO there shouldn't be any trading up unless it comes after a trade down with adding picks.

I'm good with letting Toliver, Roberson and Burns fight it out for the CB2 spot.

I think you misread my intentions.

I don't want to draft a WR over an OL.

This debate started because its all Remy does, I said drafted a wr in the 2nd over OG/OT is dumb. Then remy said "well they are so talented this year its like a first round WR", to which I told him that OT/OG class is just as talented. To which he responded "Well wr's have a better impact their rookie year". I proved it wasn't true, and then he cried about some comment I made about only judging paces last two years.

Before remy gets in here, yes, I'm okay with drafting a WR in round 2, but thats only if we pick up another olineman AND draft one in the 2nd round as well.

Obviously if the draft plays out that all the good interior guys and tackles dont fall to 43/50 then I'm A-okay with branching out.

There is a LOT of first round talent at every position that will fall due to how strong this draft is at QB/WR/OL. Unfortunately thats 3 positions we need.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Just saying, if Delpit somehow falls to 43(Its who nfl.com has us taking RN), I'd run to the podium and try not to shit my pants in excitement while doing so.

Reagor is projected to already go in the mid 2nd-late 2nd, so this isn't a steal. He might even go in the 3rd depending on how the draft plays out. The only WR I'd "love" to take at 43 is Mims, but I see it a long shot he makes it out of the first. I actually prefer Aiyuk to Reagor, and I easily can see one of the two of those being there in the 3rd round if we somehow trade down.

If A.J. Terrell drops to #43, I'd run up to the podium as well. He's got issues, but he could start day 1.

If Eason/Love falls to #43, I'd probably run up there as well.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Unless Patterson is gonna get as many targets as a healthy Gabriel did, we are gonna need another wr in the top 4 rotation. At leat one 4.3, 4.4 blazer is needed. Preferably a guy over 5'10.

No, it's all about if Burton is healthy.

If burton comes in, plays, and plays like he did in 2018, then we don't really need another WR.

I did the math before and I believe Burton, Miller, Cohen, Arob, and Graham all combined for:

Tyrik Cohen - 90 targets
Anthony Miller - 85 targets
Jimmy Graham - 85 targets
Trey Burton - 70 targets
Allen Robinson - 150 targets

It comes out to 480 targets. Thats how many pass attempts Pat Mahomes attempted last season.

Just saying whoever we do draft, have realistic expectations to his usage because our top 5 targets already have heavy usage.

Applefan

Liked Posts:
No, it's all about if Burton is healthy.

If burton comes in, plays, and plays like he did in 2018, then we don't really need another WR.

I did the math before and I believe Burton, Miller, Cohen, Arob, and Graham all combined for:

Tyrik Cohen - 90 targets
Anthony Miller - 85 targets
Jimmy Graham - 85 targets
Trey Burton - 70 targets
Allen Robinson - 150 targets

It comes out to 480 targets. Thats how many pass attempts Pat Mahomes attempted last season.

Just saying whoever we do draft, have realistic expectations to his usage because our top 5 targets already have heavy usage.

The most recent 2 Super Bowl teams, the Chiefs and the Niners have guys at rb, wr and te who can take the ball to the end zone from their own 30 yard line. Other than Tarik, and maybe Patterson, if they'd let him run a slant or go route, we don't really have anyone who can do this. By no means am I saying Robinson, Montgomery, Miller are crap, but if we could get a guy with Wilie Gault or Tyreek Hill type speed at rb or wr that actually knows how to play football and isn't just a Gump, that'd add a dangerous component to our offense. In 202, it'll probably be easier for a good rookie wr to see the field than it will an OL or CB to crack the line-up.

msadows

Liked Posts:
The most recent 2 Super Bowl teams, the Chiefs and the Niners have guys at rb, wr and te who can take the ball to the end zone from their own 30 yard line. Other than Tarik, and maybe Patterson, if they'd let him run a slant or go route, we don't really have anyone who can do this. By no means am I saying Robinson, Montgomery, Miller are crap, but if we could get a guy with Wilie Gault or Tyreek Hill type speed at rb or wr that actually knows how to play football and isn't just a Gump, that'd add a dangerous component to our offense. In 202, it'll probably be easier for a good rookie wr to see the field than it will an OL or CB to crack the line-up.

No, no it won't. I already debunked that stupid take. Rookie guards taken in the 2nd round are much more likely to start and contribute heavily.

So you want a tyreek hill? Gotcha. So do 31 other teams. In the long run it won't matter who is catching the ball because they can have 20 guys on the roster "who can take the ball to the end zone from their own 30", but it won't matter if you can't run the ball and your oline can't block long enough to allow your QB to find that guy.

Noonthirtyjoe

Liked Posts:
I dont "want" a WR either per say either, but I DO want the most talented players on the board when the Bears pick.

Personally I would like or prefer a young QB, OT, TE, or CB & in that order. Ive wanted a new first round OT from in the draft since Carimi busted out, & TE talent. Unfortunately Im not so sure the talent will be there to justify certain needs.

I just believe that the WR & CB give Pace his best shots at aquiring two first round talents outside of the first round. Those areas are stacked.

Even though this is a deep class, the field of talent the Bears are going to start off with is going to be significantly narrowed.

I dont believe the Bears have the luxury to mess around with drafting by need. When you can buy yourself the luxury of finding a couple of first round blue chip talents, in spite of not having a first round pick, you are going to do your roster a huge service.

As long theyre every down players, Im not so sure I care about what positions they are, with the Bears given set of circumstances.
You're not wrong that we need PBA and need to hit on these few picks. But what good would a QB RB WR be to us without fixing the Oline. They would not help us this year and Pace does not have next year if this one goes to shit.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
I think you misread my intentions.

I don't want to draft a WR over an OL.

This debate started because its all Remy does, I said drafted a wr in the 2nd over OG/OT is dumb. Then remy said "well they are so talented this year its like a first round WR", to which I told him that OT/OG class is just as talented. To which he responded "Well wr's have a better impact their rookie year". I proved it wasn't true, and then he cried about some comment I made about only judging paces last two years.

Before remy gets in here, yes, I'm okay with drafting a WR in round 2, but thats only if we pick up another olineman AND draft one in the 2nd round as well.

Obviously if the draft plays out that all the good interior guys and tackles dont fall to 43/50 then I'm A-okay with branching out.

There is a LOT of first round talent at every position that will fall due to how strong this draft is at QB/WR/OL. Unfortunately thats 3 positions we need.

You did make it pretty clear in multiple posts that you're happy with the WR's we have and think we're fine with what we have though. That's why i kept asking you what will we do if/when we lose A.Miller because he injures that trick shoulder again.