Major Ursa

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Vegas Golden Knights
  1. Utah State Aggies
I was just thinking about this tonight. Marshall could very well be on his way out. Even if he stays, the lack of speed at wide receiver needs to be addressed. Hub Arkush has mentioned this a few times. Devante Parker is a burner and so is Amari Cooper. Dorial Green Beckam has been clocked at 4.37, but hasn't officially entered his name into the draft. He is expected to throw his name in the ring soon. He's a beast. We probably have a shot at one of them with our pick. Obviously we could take a later round player, but if no Marshall we need to be thinking about replacing a star with a star. I'm sure some of you aren't thrilled with the idea of taking a wide receiver with the first pick, but our new GM just might do it. The free agent wide receiver crop is one of the best I've ever seen, but the problem is that besides Demaryius Thomas, the top options aren't really speed guys. Eddie Royal and Darirus Heyward-Bey are the two guys that I could see being realistic targets if we keep Marshall. I think Royal is clearly the better player, but I don't think DHB is as bad as some think.

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
I just don't see Brandon Marshall being moved. The Bears literally have no depth behind him and his release or trade would provide no real immediate cap relief . You would be asking Alshon to do what Brandon used to do before Alshon got here.

It took an injury that cost him 3 games, Cutler's terrible play and Trestman's horrible playcalling to derail what was going to be an eighth consecutive 1000 yard season.

I like the prospects in this draft but I think finding a speed guy can be done in the mid rounds.

sam slocum

Liked Posts:
I'm not a Marshall fanboy, but he has been productive on the field. However, unless a receiver is BPA early in the draft I'd rather concentrate on our lack of team speed all over the field.

Pace said he was going to sit down and study every play of every Bears game this past season to evaluate the roster. The man has to be a masochist to watch other teams just blow by us. And, how many screen passes can a guy watch without becoming an alchololic.

bears26

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners
You draft the best player in the draft and if it is a WR such as Cooper, then you do it. He is just too good to pass up.

Don't Care

CCS Jesus
Liked Posts:
Pace said he was going to sit down and study every play of every Bears game this past season to evaluate the roster. The man has to be a masochist to watch other teams just blow by us. And, how many screen passes can a guy watch without becoming an alchololic.
Easy: Pace is not emotionally invested in last year's team. Heck, wouldn't you expect Trestman to do the same?

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
Marshall's not going anywhere but I think we need a speed receiver.

sam slocum

Liked Posts:
Easy: Pace is not emotionally invested in last year's team. Heck, wouldn't you expect Trestman to do the same?

Quite honestly, I'd be surprised if Pace didn't already do that before he showed up for his interview. Me personally however, I'd rather have several root canals than rewatch all of the 14 season.

DaBears23

Liked Posts:
I just don't see Brandon Marshall being moved. The Bears literally have no depth behind him and his release or trade would provide no real immediate cap relief . You would be asking Alshon to do what Brandon used to do before Alshon got here.

It took an injury that cost him 3 games, Cutler's terrible play and Trestman's horrible playcalling to derail what was going to be an eighth consecutive 1000 yard season.

I like the prospects in this draft but I think finding a speed guy can be done in the mid rounds.
Devin Smith would be ideal

Hbkrusso

Objective Fanboy
Donator
Liked Posts:
don't think bmarsh is going anywhere but a spd wr would really help this offense need somebody to put those safeties on their heels

Bears93

Liked Posts:
I was just thinking about this tonight. Marshall could very well be on his way out. Even if he stays, the lack of speed at wide receiver needs to be addressed. Hub Arkush has mentioned this a few times. Devante Parker is a burner and so is Amari Cooper. Dorial Green Beckam has been clocked at 4.37, but hasn't officially entered his name into the draft. He is expected to throw his name in the ring soon. He's a beast. We probably have a shot at one of them with our pick. Obviously we could take a later round player, but if no Marshall we need to be thinking about replacing a star with a star. I'm sure some of you aren't thrilled with the idea of taking a wide receiver with the first pick, but our new GM just might do it. The free agent wide receiver crop is one of the best I've ever seen, but the problem is that besides Demaryius Thomas, the top options aren't really speed guys. Eddie Royal and Darirus Heyward-Bey are the two guys that I could see being realistic targets if we keep Marshall. I think Royal is clearly the better player, but I don't think DHB is as bad as some think.

You are Special person if you think any of those receivers you just mentioned is on Marshalls level even after his injury. Cooper will be one day, receievers typically have a hard time adjusting to the NFL their rookie seasons. Guys like Evans and Beckham are rare and even more rare there was two in one draft with their caliber. Also you're suggesting that we take a receiever with our first or second with these guys that clearly we have more pressing needs to take care of.
I like all the guys you mention but they aren't gonna take eyes off of Bennett and Jeffery like Marshall does. Our best bet is to find someone fast in the lower rounds.

discplayer

Liked Posts:

heck, even with Marshall (and Alshon), we have no speed at WR, and MUST address it. Wilson is not much faster than those two, and certainly unproven, too. Holmes was a waste of a roster space (though Jay seemed to never look his way, which contributed to his lack of contribution) and is not that fast anymore, if he ever was.

we've got to get faster at wideout, as well as RB, in my opinion. Forte is great for what he does well, but he's not fast or shifty, and neither is Carey. if we had a RB in the rotation who could move fast, burn on a wheel route, make someone miss, we'd be harder to defend.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
Alshon has very good deep speed so people who keep bringing up this overwhelming need for speed at wr really strike me as being stupid.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
I think if Cooper is there at 7, you take him. Or you can get a more internal piece at 7 and get a good receiver in the second. Someone like Duke Williams. I'm just spitballing. But there appears to be receiver depth in this draft. So if you want to address defense first, there will still be receiver options in the second and third, looks like.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
No matter what happens with Marshall, the Bears need more WR depth. Guys, Marquess the Beast might not cut it, lol

Escobar's Army

Liked Posts:
You draft the best player in the draft and if it is a WR such as Cooper, then you do it. He is just too good to pass up.

Not sure why people can't grasp this concept. While you can argue we have bigger "needs" this year, grabbing a true #1 WR knocks that need off the list for years to come. Having Jeffery and Cooper would set up our passing game for the next decade.

Hbkrusso

Objective Fanboy
Donator
Liked Posts:
Alshon has very good deep speed so people who keep bringing up this overwhelming need for speed at wr really strike me as being stupid.

really because he is known for just flat outrunning people? or is he known for being a big body guy who wins jumpballs

Toast88

Liked Posts:
Not sure why people can't grasp this concept. While you can argue we have bigger "needs" this year, grabbing a true #1 WR knocks that need off the list for years to come. Having Jeffery and Cooper would set up our passing game for the next decade.

Agree. If Cooper is there at 7 still, he'll be BPA