Will a pass rush fix our backfield or do we need to add better players?

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
Resources spent on the front 7- :poop:

Resources spent on the secondary- 2 top rookies at their positions. Top 5 paid safety in the nfl.

This isn’t that hard.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
I know that. The question is....... are you ok with the guys we got in the secondary. There is no question if a pass rush helps the secondary.
If this team goes into next season with the exact same roster of DBs as it did this past season, then this team is in fine condition at DB. Jackson has a chance of proving he is worth his money in this defense, Brisker could easily be defensive captain for the foreseeable future, and Vildor as the weakest link at CB is less of a liability if this defense can get a few hounds on the line.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
How do you guys feel on this. Not our biggest problem for sure but still looking for opinions.
Joe,

I've done a forensic look at our secondary, and I came away with some great play. As the season went on the group was playing better. I'd suggest that even the much maligned Kindle Vildor played well this season. It only stands to reason that the better the pass rush gets, the better these guys will even perform. That said, if say a guy like Kelee Ringo or Joey Porter Jr. are on the board, and BPA for Poles, then I'd pull the trigger.

mecha

Liked Posts:
Joe,

I've done a forensic look at our secondary, and I came away with some great play. As the season went on the group was playing better. I'd suggest that even the much maligned Kindle Vildor played well this season. It only stands to reason that the better the pass rush gets, the better these guys will even perform. That said, if say a guy like Kelee Ringo or Joey Porter Jr. are on the board, and BPA for Poles, then I'd pull the trigger.
I remember when the secondary was slated to be the worst in the entire league. to the credit of an extremely devoid of talent defense I would argue they had great effort and tried hard. they didn't really give up. (contrast to almost 10 years ago) I stopped keeping track once regular season officially ended, but I think they were only majorly overwhelmed and wrecked like 4 times out of 17.

this was seriously a debate as old as CBMB about the defensive line helping secondary some 14-15 years ago. I don't even understand why it's being questioned now.

Noonthirtyjoe

Liked Posts:
Joe,

Nice. First real answer you ever gave me. You OK?

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
I think with a pass rush we'd have a very good secondary I think we are missing maybe an elite 2nd outside CB but I feel can achieve a top 10 placement.
The secondary will actually be one of the better in the league with a pass rush, quality guys and 1 elite player away from being lockdown.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
I know that. The question is....... are you ok with the guys we got in the secondary. There is no question if a pass rush helps the secondary.
Well the first part of your thread title is "Will a pass rush fix our backfield" so i was answering off of that.

So yes i think we are fine in the secondary and even though K.Gordon's play was questionable for many of the games, having a pass rush will be a big help for him and the others. I think the best part of his game that he showed this year was the kid isn't afraid to lower his pads and make the hit/tackle. He did have some good games as well so lets hope that's what he builds off of.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
If this team goes into next season with the exact same roster of DBs as it did this past season, then this team is in fine condition at DB. Jackson has a chance of proving he is worth his money in this defense, Brisker could easily be defensive captain for the foreseeable future, and Vildor as the weakest link at CB is less of a liability if this defense can get a few hounds on the line.
I like the potential of the 2ndary. I do think that a couple of good journeymen lbs should be on their wish list. ANyone have anyone in mind to become the Bear's defensive captain?

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I like the potential of the 2ndary. I do think that a couple of good journeymen lbs should be on their wish list. ANyone have anyone in mind to become the Bear's defensive captain?
Yes journeymen wish list that is totally a thing ?

Noonthirtyjoe

Liked Posts:
I remember when the secondary was slated to be the worst in the entire league. to the credit of an extremely devoid of talent defense I would argue they had great effort and tried hard. they didn't really give up. (contrast to almost 10 years ago) I stopped keeping track once regular season officially ended, but I think they were only majorly overwhelmed and wrecked like 4 times out of 17.

this was seriously a debate as old as CBMB about the defensive line helping secondary some 14-15 years ago. I don't even understand why it's being questioned now.
No the question is ... Do you feel good about the players we have. Not (IF) a pass rush helps. But if we add a rush how do you feel about the group we have in the back field currently or will they still need more talent.
MY BAD. I guess I was not clear. Others also think I was asking if a pass rush helps. We know it does of coarse.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
No the question is ... Do you feel good about the players we have. Not (IF) a pass rush helps. But if we add a rush how do you feel about the group we have in the back field currently or will they still need more talent.
MY BAD. I guess I was not clear. Others also think I was asking if a pass rush helps. We know it does of coarse.
I think the problem is your thread title is perfectly clear, and poses the precise question you now are saying you weren't asking.

The appropriate question would be "do you think the defensive backfield has the necessary talent and just needs an improved pass rush?"

You didn't ask that, got sorta shit on for asking what you actually asked, and now you're playing dumb or are just admitting you're fucking dumb.

Hope this helps.

mecha

Liked Posts:
I don't feel. the lot of you are in a constant state of angry about shit that's beyond your control on a daily basis because of emotions.

also if anyone would actually read my comments, I was impressed with what I described as a talent deficient unit. the team that played in 2022 wasn't supposed to lose a bunch of games by 1 score, they should've looked like the 2014 Bears. the latter had actual previous Pro Bowl level talent, the 2022 team did not. the one glaring weakness of the defense wasn't the secondary, which the chicken littles purported would seriously be the worst in the league. it was the defensive line. it needs 4 new starters and then you'll probably see better results on defense.

Fields was putting up 4-5 touchdowns himself a game for a stretch and they still lost all those games. 90% of the discussions since then have been about Fields and whether he's a FrAnChIsE qUaRtErBaCk or not.

I hated this place ever since I had to come to it in 2012.