Will a pass rush fix our backfield or do we need to add better players?

Noonthirtyjoe

Liked Posts:
How do you guys feel on this. Not our biggest problem for sure but still looking for opinions.

maxhatter

Liked Posts:
A pass rush will help the entire defense. The defense is designed to allow the underneath pass and force the offense to be very patient. More importantly, you have more players around the football and that causes turnovers. It also allows the defensive backs to play closer to the line of scrimmage with tighter coverage because they know the wide receiver won't have the time to run some of the more nuanced routes.

Dragon Slayer

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Yes, a good pass rush will help the secondary. As far as I'm concerned, the secondary is pretty much set with Eddie, Brisker, Gordon and Johnson. Biggest need would be a NB.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Yes, a good pass rush will help the secondary. As far as I'm concerned, the secondary is pretty much set with Eddie, Brisker, Gordon and Johnson. Biggest need would be a NB.
Gordon is supposed to be the NB?

Dragon Slayer

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Gordon is supposed to be the NB?
I honestly wasn't sure where he spent most of his time this past year - on the outside or at NB. I seemed to doze off when the defense was on the field because of how terrible they were. Just figured it would be a touchdown.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I imagine they sign a vet zone CB and draft a S in the mid-rounds. I’ll probably get roasted for this but also wouldn’t be surprised to see Johnson get traded if the price is right.

TonyDogs

Liked Posts:
Asking how people feel about our secondary on a football board. I agree it's not the place for that. Hi hehatebrains.
Look dummy, any secondary in the NFL will look like trash when the pass rush is terrible. We have a solid, young core in Brisker, Johnson, Gordon and Jackson and I have a feeling that with some pressure on the quarterback they'll look much better.

IBleedBearsBlood

Liked Posts:
How do you guys feel on this. Not our biggest problem for sure but still looking for opinions.
I feel like it will help our backfield but I don’t think we will be dominant. But average or a tad above average is better than what we looked like this past year. We can continue with developing our players and adding new talent as well.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
The secondary is the least concerning part of the defense. They have one experienced safety, two promising 2nd year players, an elite CB and a bunch of intriguing young backups.

The Bears have one good backup at DT who was a starter in 2022 and a bunch of open starter spots. Of course an actual pass rush would help everyone, including the defensive coordinator.

Just like on offense, you build the trenches and then you are able to figure out what you really have on offense and defense.

Last edited:

RiDLer80

First time, long time.
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Miami Hurricanes
  2. Northern Illinois Huskies
The whole damn DL needs replacing.

4THQUARTERCLUTCHLER

Liked Posts:
It sounds crazy but I'd go all offense In the draft this year and all defense next year with a mix of both in free agency. We can see if it actually helps fields develop. We're looking at a 3 year rebuild atleast anyway. Go all in on one side or the other, if we build an elite offense fix this defense next year.

TheWinman

2020 CCS Survivor Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Our secondary is the strong point on this team. They did pretty dang good consideringtherewas no pass rush

Noonthirtyjoe

Liked Posts:
It sounds crazy but I'd go all offense In the draft this year and all defense next year with a mix of both in free agency. We can see if it actually helps fields develop. We're looking at a 3 year rebuild atleast anyway. Go all in on one side or the other, if we build an elite offense fix this defense next year.
I'm ok with a offensive draft, but we have to address pass rush too. Scoring 40 and losing is no better then we are now.