Will Anderson Jr's lack of production this season

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Does his drop off on production concern you? Only 8 sacks in 2022 compared to his 2021 17.5 sacks.

ESPN’s Mel Kiper Jr. writes that there is “serious doubt creeping in” with respect to Anderson being the first to hear his name called. Expectations were high for the true junior in 2022, after his massive production from the year before. His 17.5 sacks led the country in 2021, and left him fifth in Heisman voting.

2022 has not been a large disappointment from a statistical standpoint. Anderson has racked up eight sacks and 14 tackles for loss for the Crimson Tide, and totaled 60 QB pressures. That figure was 82 during his sophomore campaign, though, so a slight regression could be held against him during the pre-draft process. Kiper notes, however, that a drop in Anderson’s stock is not so much a reflection of his performance but a combination of other factors.

InsideTheLines

Opinionated
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Miami Marlins
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
  2. Northwestern Wildcats
Nope. College players have regression. Heck Myles Garrett had 11.5 sacks and then a 8.5 sack season. Still went #1 overall.

I want the Bears to draft Anderson. Not trade back. I’m tired of these teams drafting the best player available and they turn out to be studs. It’s our turn.

I understand they are different positions. I’m on my way to work and that’s the first option to compare that came to my head lol.

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Nope. College players have regression. Heck Myles Garrett had 11.5 sacks and then a 8.5 sack season. Still went #1 overall.

I want the Bears to draft Anderson. Not trade back. I’m tired of these teams drafting the best player available and they turn out to be studs. It’s our turn.

I understand they are different positions. I’m on my way to work and that’s the first option to compare that came to my head lol.

Agree he's the best non QB in this draft the only person I might draft over him is Olu Fashanu who has an incredibly high ceiling.

Bonferroni Correction

Liked Posts:
What are your thoughts on Jalen and Andre Carter’s productions? (I don’t watch college football so that’s why I’m asking )

Speed

Liked Posts:
Obviously stats (and sacks) matters, but D-Line doesn't seem like one of the positions more favorable to stat watching. You really have to watch the game to see what's going on. D-Line can totally wreck or disrupt a game plan and not necessarily have the sexiest stat line indicative of their on field impact.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
Are you not watching Alabama football? The guy has a relentless motor and his fewer sacks is not the result of regression.

maxhatter

Liked Posts:
Will also played 3 more games last year and totaled 3 more sacks in those game.
I'm also assuming that the tides overall defense isn't near as good as it was last year.
He also has 10 sacks and 17 tackles for loss

Bears4Ever_34

Liked Posts:
I'll take 8 sacks in a "down year" any day of the week.

Will Anderson is the best prospect in this draft. If the Bears pass him up, they are fools.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Jalen carter

Better fit for this defense, I'd be happy with either.

Perfect scenario would be getting the #2 pick, trading it away to detroit if they finish around the #5 pick, and still take one of those while picking up two first rounders extra.

And, of course, detroit will draft the bust of the QB draft class w/ that #2 pick

greg23

Liked Posts:
I'd much rather trade back from 2/3 ish to within top 8ish and also get a ton of extra high picks.....this team is lacking impact player at all levels and more picks = better chance of hitting

BearDown88

Liked Posts:
I read a scouting report talking about this last week. I couldn’t find it again, but it said something along the lines of his drop off in production having more to do with the overall Alabama defense not being as good as last year. So to make up for that they, are having him play almost every position along the D-line at different points in the game, rather than just having him outside the tackle every play rushing the qb and setting the edge.

msadows

Liked Posts:

Clowney went #1 overall after having just 3 sacks his final season.

So yea, not worried.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
Can someone explain to me how Carter is so amazing yet it somehow eludes the stat sheet? I’ve only watched a few Georgia games but I watch him every snap and do not understand the best defensive player in the draft hype.

Can anyone name other DL with career college numbers like these that went on to tear the league up? Generally curious

TacklesDef IntFumbles
YearSchoolConfClassPosGSoloAstTotLossSkIntYdsAvgTDPDFRYdsTDFF
*2020GeorgiaSECFRDL8113143.00.0000000
*2021GeorgiaSECSODL141720378.53.0000100
2022GeorgiaSECJRDL101114255.02.000010002
CareerGeorgia39377616.55.000020002

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Can someone explain to me how Carter is so amazing yet it somehow eludes the stat sheet? I’ve only watched a few Georgia games but I watch him every snap and do not understand the best defensive player in the draft hype.

Can anyone name other DL with career college numbers like these that went on to tear the league up? Generally curious

TacklesDef IntFumbles
YearSchoolConfClassPosGSoloAstTotLossSkIntYdsAvgTDPDFRYdsTDFF
*2020GeorgiaSECFRDL8113143.00.0000000
*2021GeorgiaSECSODL141720378.53.0000100
2022GeorgiaSECJRDL101114255.02.000010002
CareerGeorgia39377616.55.000020002
Look at the post above yours for one example. I know clowney had other seasons, but his last one looked mediocre on the stat sheet

Also, Carter isn’t a guy that’s ever going to have 10 sacks in a season or anything. It’s not what he does. What he does is he pushes the pocket back into the qb’s face, forcing the qb to scramble right into the arms of the outside pass rush.

Simply put, he stuffs the middle of the pocket and makes guys around him better. The stat sheet will never show carters true value. So if you’re looking for a “stats” guy he’s not your guy

If you want to win and have a good defense, then he’s absolutely your guy

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
Look at the post above yours for one example. I know clowney had other seasons, but his last one looked mediocre on the stat sheet

Also, Carter isn’t a guy that’s ever going to have 10 sacks in a season or anything. It’s not what he does. What he does is he pushes the pocket back into the qb’s face, forcing the qb to scramble right into the arms of the outside pass rush.

Simply put, he stuffs the middle of the pocket and makes guys around him better. The stat sheet will never show carters true value. So if you’re looking for a “stats” guy he’s not your guy

If you want to win and have a good defense, then he’s absolutely your guy

I’m always a bit weary of the “he’s so elite but it won’t show up in the stats” argument. Sure, numbers aren’t the whole story but they are a large part of the overall story.

Like I said, I watched him every snap for 2 games and I didn’t see him collapsing the pocket and wreaking havoc all that often. In fact I saw him single blocked quite a bit with good success. Like…he’s so good at destroying the pocket and wrecking game plans but it doesn’t show up in the TFL or sack column? Also, doesn’t Georgia have a stacked defense in general? His numbers are about on par with Eddie Goldman in college who was also a “pocket pusher”

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Better fit for this defense, I'd be happy with either.

Perfect scenario would be getting the #2 pick, trading it away to detroit if they finish around the #5 pick, and still take one of those while picking up two first rounders extra.

And, of course, detroit will draft the bust of the QB draft class w/ that #2 pick

Seahawks have two first round picks as well I'd rather give them the second overall pick. I'd hate to see a poor kid get his career ruined in Detroit.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
I’m always a bit weary of the “he’s so elite but it won’t show up in the stats” argument. Sure, numbers aren’t the whole story but they are a large part of the overall story.

Like I said, I watched him every snap for 2 games and I didn’t see him collapsing the pocket and wreaking havoc all that often. In fact I saw him single blocked quite a bit with good success. Like…he’s so good at destroying the pocket and wrecking game plans but it doesn’t show up in the TFL or sack column? Also, doesn’t Georgia have a stacked defense in general? His numbers are about on par with Eddie Goldman in college who was also a “pocket pusher”
I question if that's what you saw. But college offenses are notoriously tough for interior DL players to get stats. Teams run spread offenses pretty consistently. They throw the ball a ton and run a lot of read option/RPO plays where interior players get doubled and ends are unblocked as the read guy.

I believe UGA runs a 3-4 as well, and play Carter at nose and 5T a lot more than a pure 1-gap guy, which I believe maximizes his abilities.