Will Anyone on the Current Roster Step Up to Fill Needs?

jive

Liked Posts:
It looks like we have quite a few needs on both sides of the ball, especially with all the UFAs we have this year.
Anyone on the roster able to step up?

DB - Kevin Tolliver, Xavier Crawford, Michael Joseph, Duke Shelley, Stephen Denmark, Josh Simmons, Kentrell Brice
LB - Joel Iyiegbuniwe, Josh Woods, James Vaughters,
OL - Alex Bars, Sam Mustipher, Corey Levin, Dino Boyd
TE - Dax Raymond, Darion Clark, Jes[er Horsted, Eric Saubert
WR - Riley Ridley, Javon Wims, Reggie Davis, Thomas Ives, Alex Wesley
RB - Ryan Nall

From the looks of things, we have a lot of players to re-sign, draft, and sign.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It looks like we have quite a few needs on both sides of the ball, especially with all the UFAs we have this year.

DB - Kevin Tolliver, Xavier Crawford, Michael Joseph, Duke Shelley, Stephen Denmark, Josh Simmons, Kentrell Brice
RB - Ryan Nall

Shelley, Tolliver, Woods, Bars, Ridley, Wims, Nall

Thats where I would place my hopes. Shout out to Joseph, Raymond, Iggy I won't count out.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
What an awful list of players to have to rely on next year.

I'd guess one maybe two will actually see action while a few others are backups/special teams and the rest are back to camp fodder/practice squad
This is the typical fan response. "None of those giys were drafted high or are big names, so they must suck."

When the reality is, the majority of every NFL roster is comprised of these types of players, and it is ESSENTIAL to find those diamonds in the rough to have any chance at sustained success.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Liked Posts:
I'm just hoping we can get better production from a lot of our starters. There's no way these guys regressed so much in one year.

As of now, I pin a lot of this on having a bad HC.

Miller, Montgomery, Trey Burton - could Monty and Burton have a worse year? I don't think it's possible.

Mack, Roquan, Pierre-Louis, Hicks - a lot of the defensive issues are guys getting healthy.

I would hope that ppl are seeing that Javon Wims is simply a depth guy. He's not going to be a starting WR anywhere.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
one of my biggest questions is will they pay Kwiatkowski and consider him a starter at linebacker after the really nice season he had.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

I'd guess one maybe two will actually see action while a few others are backups/special teams and the rest are back to camp fodder/practice squad

Kwiatkoski would have been on this list last year and now half the board is dying to keep him. Point being, a few of those guys will develop that we don’t expect. My bet is on Woods.

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Penn State Nittany Lions
This is the typical fan response. "None of those giys were drafted high or are big names, so they must suck."

Simply not what he said. This is the typical Visionman response. Read posts poorly and with the mindset to look to jump on people even if you have to make shit up in the process.

He said:

He is right. Especially when his list refers to the OP's list:

RB - Ryan Nall

No one said they suck because of low draft position. The implication is they suck because they did not step up on a team that struggled to perform well. There is no reason to suspect they will step up next year either imo.

Addressing the OP, I think Tolliver did well and Horsted made a couple plays when given the chance. Wims is probably decent producing given his actual draft position and ignoring silly CCS hype.

But @greg23 is right. We cannot feel good relying on this list for quality play if we need it.

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Kwiatkoski would have been on this list last year and now half the board is dying to keep him. Point being, a few of those guys will develop that we don’t expect. My bet is on Woods.

It is a logical fallcy to project one player's success on any others.

Just because Kwit took a step up this past year does not mean it logically has to follow that anyone on that list also does so.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I'm just hoping we can get better production from a lot of our starters. There's no way these guys regressed so much in one year.

Miller, Montgomery, Trey Burton - could Monty and Burton have a worse year? I don't think it's possible.

Mack, Roquan, Pierre-Louis, Hicks - a lot of the defensive issues are guys getting healthy.

I would hope that ppl are seeing that Javon Wims is simply a depth guy. He's not going to be a starting WR anywhere.
Sometimes you get better production from starters by having new starters. I was one of the 1st to complain about Nagy's playcalling in 2018 when we were doing well so I get that but position coaches also matter.

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears

I agree except my read on the OP was that if any of the starters continue to struggle/ be injured, we would have to rely on some of these depth guys to step up and that's a big question mark.

I would even argue it would be a death knell to the season given how below average most of these depth guys play from my memory on watching preseason.

mceownr22

PacetheGawd
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Who knows if any of those ILBs will translate to starting material (Most likely depth) but each of them have flashed in their own ways which is exciting.

Da Coach

Liked Posts:
Shelley, Tolliver, Woods, Bars, Ridley, Wims, Nall

Thats where I would place my hopes. Shout out to Joseph, Raymond, Iggy I won't count out.
Like these guys too, along with Horsted. Nall imo should be playing H back though, I think he's a bit of a plodder at RB

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
It is a logical fallcy to project one player's success on any others.

Just because Kwit took a step up this past year does not mean it logically has to follow that anyone on that list also does so.
Except it happens every year all accross the NFL. Kwiatkoski is just an easy example. I mean you do agree some players get better right?

twetz

Liked Posts:
Except it happens every year all accross the NFL. Kwiatkoski is just an easy example. I mean you do agree some players get better right?
Exactly. Raheem Mostert is another example. Heart, character and desire still make a difference. Then you need the playing time, coaching and scheme.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Hoping that one or 2 of the Ol guys can help out.

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears

Some players do get better yes. Some do not. I mean you do agree that because one depth player gets better on a team that doesn't mean any other depth players from that team get better the next year right?

One Team

Liked Posts:

RB - Ryan Nall

Nice to see a thread that's engaging without the usual nonsense(y)...I am looking forward to seeing Alex Bars...was good in college...came here to be with college coach...turned down the Patriots roster offer (I believe)...has another full year of recovery and strength improvement...could really be a wildcard for the shaky O-line.

Horsted showed he can catch the ball in contested battles.

Vaughters I have watched in the CFL, and he has game and is competitive.

Tolliver has a pedigree of being able to compete, all about taking that next step.

Thanks again!

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Some players do get better yes. Some do not. I mean you do agree that because one depth player gets better on a team that doesn't mean any other depth players from that team get better the next year right?
Dear lord yes, kwiatkowski is just an example. Yes, there is a chance no one may get better next year.