Will Daron Payne hit free agency?

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
Not me. I don't think he's as good of a player, and at 5 years older I'd say he's more likely to not play up to a contract, even at 3 years vs. 5.

That said still would be an exciting signing.

He’s 29. I don’t see any reason he can’t play at a high level for 2-3 more seasons. Definitely disagree that Payne is better. Think Hargrave is more well rounded, especially against the run. Also jumps off the tape more than Payne when I tune into their games. I know not everyone loves PFF, but they also grade him much higher than Payne. Hargrave does not look like a guy slowing down

dennehy

Liked Posts:
He’s 29. I don’t see any reason he can’t play at a high level for 2-3 more seasons. Definitely disagree that Payne is better. Think Hargrave is more well rounded, especially against the run. Also jumps off the tape more than Payne when I tune into their games. I know not everyone loves PFF, but they also grade him much higher than Payne. Hargrave does not look like a guy slowing down
Hargrave will be 30 next year, and has been above average for his entire career up until 2021 and 22. Payne would be 30 in the last year of a five year deal.

I'm not sure what you mean by well rounded against the run, but I don't think he's as versatile as Payne is.

I just wonder how the person who led all IDL in tackles for loss this past season is not good against the run.

Bears4Ever_34

Liked Posts:
Payne had 11.5 sacks this season. Commanders would be fools not to sign or franchise tag him. I hope, for the Bears case, they are fools, because he is the exact type of player they need at DT.

baselman1974

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Is there any good reason they don't tag Payne though?
If the the Commanders want a veteran QB like Carr, Jimmy G, or Jackson, they will have to pay at least $25+ million a years. For Jackson, $45+ million a year. That's not affordable unless the team releases Allen or let Payne go.

The Big Grabowski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If Payne is available in FA, it's about the easiest decision Poles will ever make.

The Bears need a bully in the middle to set the tone on defense. He gives you position versatility since he can play 3T or nose. He provides the interior pass rush that makes Eberflus' defense go. He's a blue chip player at 25 yo and you'd still have nearly 100M to spend on other positions. C'mon...

Obviously he's the #1 target if he hits the market. Washington shouldn't let a guy like that go but how can they justify spending that much on the DL when they have no QB? We just have to hope that he shakes loose because of the bind they're in.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
the odd man out would probably be chase young

if you listen to the fans anyway. he hasnt lived up to his draft status
Wasn't he hurt until this year?

I guess he couldn't live up to his status if he couldn't even step on the field until this year.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I don’t know how Washington will afford a new QB and Payne at the same time. Also Snyder being forced to sell the team. Why would he give a shit about paying Payne when he is forced to sell the team and save $100 million from his future salary.

Unless Snyder sells the team in this off-season, then I don’t see Washington re-signing Payne. This is the same owner who was short changing other owners for his home attendance proceeds. Snyder is a vile cheap Fuck asshole.
Word is that they are telling OC candidates that next year's QB is Sam Howell.

I thought they were a team that could be a good trade up candidate, as their biggest weakness is QB. But apparently, they're kicking the can down the road and postponing the inevitable.

The Big Grabowski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

I thought they were a team that could be a good trade up candidate, as their biggest weakness is QB. But apparently, they're kicking the can down the road and postponing the inevitable.
Ah, sweet QB purgatory…I remember it well.

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I’ll have to dig up the stats on Paynes poor run defense and miss tackling.

Spotrac lists Larry O’s value at 3.5 mil per. He had a down year in Pitt in a scheme not really suited for him. They list Jones’ value at 7 mil per. Obviously not concrete.

steelers went from the 32nd ranked run defense to top 10 and larry was a huge part of that, according to steelers fans, who pretty much all want him re-signed.

Enasic

Liked Posts:
steelers went from the 32nd ranked run defense to top 10 and larry was a huge part of that, according to steelers fans, who pretty much all want him re-signed.
He’s a good player. That’s why the Bears offered him a sizable contract last season until his medicals didn’t check out.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

They still could be. This is the season for lying afterall.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
If the the Commanders want a veteran QB like Carr, Jimmy G, or Jackson, they will have to pay at least $25+ million a years. For Jackson, $45+ million a year. That's not affordable unless the team releases Allen or let Payne go.

There’s always a way. Once they dump Wentz they’ll be fine. They may have to kick the can down the road a bit but it’s doable.

maxhatter

Liked Posts:
Is there any good reason they don't tag Payne though?
They can cut Wentz and have enough cap space to tag him, however, it will be difficult to sign a free-agent quarterback due to the lack of cap space. They also have Sweat and Young that need to be extended. Even without Payne, they will have a very formidable DL. The money should be spent elsewhere

Anytime45

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Why do people assume they would rather pay Sweat than Payne?

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Could probably get both Dre’mont Jones and Larry O for cheaper than Payne, which is probably the route I’d go as the Bears need depth as well as starters. Jones still has upside as a 3T and Larry O is a much better fit in this D than Pitt.

I like Payne but he’s going to require a massive contract and is not without his issues. Mainly, not great against the run and he misses a lot of tackles as well. Give me Jones and Larry O who could both possibly be had for 12-16 mil combined on shorter contracts, as opposed to Payne who will cost 20+ per season on a longer deal.
I'm still going after Payne if he's out there but it's definitely a great 2nd option going with Jones and Larry O.

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
I don’t think it is a thing in the NFL, but can someone trade for Payne prior to FA to get exclusive negotiating rights?

Enasic

Liked Posts:
I'm still going after Payne if he's out there but it's definitely a great 2nd option going with Jones and Larry O.
Yeah man that’s fair. I totally get going all in on Payne and making him perhaps the highest paid defensive player in the league. He’ll likely get close to it. I get it

Zvbxrpl

Liked Posts:
Obviously he's the #1 target if he hits the market. Washington shouldn't let a guy like that go but how can they justify spending that much on the DL when they have no QB?
OTC estimates them at 99 mil in cap space for 2024, and that's including Carson Wentz's contract/cap hit of 27 and change mil counting against it (implying the number should be much bigger because should Wash shed his $$$, there's no dead cap to be eaten). They can backload Payne and take Chase Young's option before paying him big $ in 25.

So while we all want Payne, we may need to readjust expectations--because good teams don't tend to let 25 year old stars walk out the door. Whether that's Hargrave, Dalvin Tomlinson (he's 28, and with Daniel Jones, Saquon Barkley, and Darius Slayton all set to also hit FA for NYG--even though they got a lot of cap this coming offseason--NYG can't franchise tag all four), David Onyematta, or a younger guy like Taven Bryan from Cleveland. I don't have a semblance of what Poles is up to yet, whether he's going for broke or building up another brick layer for contention in later years.

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Why do people assume they would rather pay Sweat than Payne?

He's the cheapest option at DE. Payne plays DT which is a 3 technique position they both play on the defensive line but DT and DE have different roles. So it's not really applicable.

Most people think they'll keep Sweat and go away with Young at DE. I wouldn't say anyone assumes what you said.