Will Daron Payne hit free agency?

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Chase Young, Daron Payne, and Montez Sweat will all command massive contracts in the coming years they will get over 18 million to 25 million per season. 27 year old DT Jonathan Allen can be cut to make room for them but someone has to go in this situation.

Daron Payne market value is 21 per season
Chase Young market value 23 per season
Jonathan Allen's cap hit is 21.5 in 2023
Montez Sweat market value 17.5 per season

Jonathan Allen is older but a better DT than Payne is. Do Bears go after him if they go with Payne?

sphinxnole

Liked Posts:
Yes, I would. Might try to get the Colts to trade me Buckner as well to drop down to 4…

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Read an Athletic article where they seemed very interested in bringing him back. Like someone in management said it was a goal or theres. So I’m not sure they’re just going to let him go. And of
course they can tag him

msadows

Liked Posts:
Read an Athletic article where they seemed very interested in bringing him back. Like someone in management said it was a goal or theres. So I’m not sure they’re just going to let him go. And of
course they can tag him

They have 12m pre cuts, I'm no cap wiz but they could easily afford him if they wanted to.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
Could probably get both Dre’mont Jones and Larry O for cheaper than Payne, which is probably the route I’d go as the Bears need depth as well as starters. Jones still has upside as a 3T and Larry O is a much better fit in this D than Pitt.

I like Payne but he’s going to require a massive contract and is not without his issues. Mainly, not great against the run and he misses a lot of tackles as well. Give me Jones and Larry O who could both possibly be had for 12-16 mil combined on shorter contracts, as opposed to Payne who will cost 20+ per season on a longer deal.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Could probably get both Dre’mont Jones and Larry O for cheaper than Payne, which is probably the route I’d go as the Bears need depth as well as starters. Jones still has upside as a 3T and Larry O is a much better fit in this D than Pitt.

I like Payne but he’s going to require a massive contract and is not without his issues. Mainly, not great against the run and he misses a lot of tackles as well. Give me Jones and Larry O who could both possibly be had for 12-16 mil combined on shorter contracts, as opposed to Payne who will cost 20+ per season on a longer deal.
Yeah, bears don’t need difference makers…they need depth pieces

???

Enasic

Liked Posts:
Yeah, bears don’t need difference makers…they need depth pieces

???

I definitely did not say that. I just pointed out that Payne is weak against the run and misses a lot of tackles and wouldn’t want to commit 20+ mil per year for him over 5 years which is what it would likely take. I also question how well he would do without a great (better) DT next to him.

I also wouldn’t say Jones is a depth piece either he’s a legit starter and Larry O is a season removed from 7 sacks. Not surprised that’s your take though.

Calabis

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Chase Young, Daron Payne, and Montez Sweat will all command massive contracts in the coming years they will get over 18 million to 25 million per season. 27 year old DT Jonathan Allen can be cut to make room for them but someone has to go in this situation.

Jonathan Allen is older but a better DT than Payne is. Do Bears go after him if they go with Payne?
Ita hard for to believe they are investing that much in DL

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:

I was of the understanding that Allen was resigned/extended a year or two ago thus the thought they wouldn't be able to or not want to spend more big dollars on Payne with also having Young & Sweat. Is that not the case?

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
I definitely did not say that. I just pointed out that Payne is weak against the run and misses a lot of tackles and wouldn’t want to commit 20+ mil per year for him over 5 years which is what it would likely take. I also question how well he would do without a great (better) DT next to him.

I also wouldn’t say Jones is a depth piece either he’s a legit starter and Larry O is a season removed from 7 sacks. Not surprised that’s your take though.
Lol k so what’s your take? That those two are better than Payne?

Bears have the $$, I don’t want them spending it on mediocre players. This ain’t the offseason to settle. This is the offseason to make a splash

But apparently Payne misses too many tackles ??

cameronkrazie86

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Atlanta Braves
  1. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Vegas Golden Knights
  1. Duke Blue Devils
  2. Nebraska Cornhuskers

Bears have the $$, I don’t want them spending it on mediocre players. This ain’t the offseason to settle. This is the offseason to make a splash

I just want the Bears to add good long-term pieces this offseason. I don't care how they're classified as "splash" or "not a splash signing", just give me potential good, long term contributors. I don't want them overpaying everybody just because they can but if they have to overpay for a guy or two that are true difference makers, then sign me up. Smart roster building > fancy headlines for me.

Enasic

Liked Posts:

My point is pretty clear if you’re actually interested in an adult nuanced discussion, which you never are.

Payne is primed to get overpaid. I’m addition to missing tackles, you glossed over the fact that he’s weak against the run. He had a good season in a contract year and is also playing alongside a better DT than himself which he won’t have here. It is quite risky signing him to the contract he’s seeking.

On the other end, Jones is an ascending 3T with upside. Larry O is a starter in this league. They both can/would make a difference and both of them combined will likely cost less than Payne by himself. I like the value there. Could prob get them on a 2-3 yr deal as opposed to a 5 year deal like Payne. If you can get two starters with upside for cheaper than one very expensive starter with question marks, I usually would opt for the 2 players. Payne has become a bit overrated on here.

knoxville7

CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
My point is pretty clear if you’re actually interested in an adult nuanced discussion, which you never are.

Payne is primed to get overpaid. I’m addition to missing tackles, you glossed over the fact that he’s weak against the run. He had a good season in a contract year and is also playing alongside a better DT which he won’t have here. It is quite risky signing him to the contract he’s seeking.

On the other end, Jones is an ascending 3T with upside. Larry O is a starter in this league. They both can/would make a difference and both of them combined will likely cost less than Payne by himself. I like the value there. If you can get two starters with upside for cheaper than one very expensive starter with question marks, I usually would opt for the 2 players. Payne has become a bit overrated on here.
But all you’re doing is basing this off your own personal opinion of the 3 players. That doesn’t make it factual

Yes, Payne will get over paid. As will Jones and Larry O, though!

If you’d rather over pay those two guys as opposed to over paying for Payne, that’s your opinion to have.

Somehow Payne is a guy who just played well in a contract year to you, whilst the other 2 are “ascending players.” Well, what do you call playing well(better than in previous years according to your own statement) in the most recent season like Payne has?? I’d call that ascending, would you not??

You have your opinion and bias, and that’s fine

I highly disagree with your take, however. And it’s why I disagree with you.

But somehow that’s me not having a nuanced discussion with you apparently ??

Heaven forbid someone have a different take than you!

Enasic

Liked Posts:
But all you’re doing is basing this off your own personal opinion of the 3 players. That doesn’t make it factual

Yes, Payne will get over paid. As will Jones and Larry O, though!

If you’d rather over pay those two guys as opposed to over paying for Payne, that’s your opinion to have.

Somehow Payne is a guy who just played well in a contract year to you, whilst the other 2 are “ascending players.” Well, what do you call playing well(better than in previous years according to your own statement) in the most recent season like Payne has?? I’d call that ascending, would you not??

You have your opinion and bias, and that’s fine

I highly disagree with your take, however. And it’s why I disagree with you.

But somehow that’s me not having a nuanced discussion with you apparently ??

Heaven forbid someone have a different take than you!

As usual you are projecting here. I’m fine with the disagreement but your obnoxious delivery is tired. You can disagree without coming off like an adolescent.

For what it’s worth, Larry O and Jones estimated contracts are less combined than Paynes on spotrac, so your opinion on them being overpaid, is…your opinion. All of this discussion is speculation anyway.