Will Daron Payne hit free agency?

IBleedBearsBlood

Liked Posts:
Yeah he's got to be the top guy to go after IMO. Hopefully he's actually ascending and what we've seen from him this year isn't just to get paid and he won't drop off some after he does. I agree that having so much talent around him on that DL helps him but i would also think the Bears are also planning on putting some top talent around him even if it takes 2 years to get the guys we need.
He literally said he wants to get paid.

"You know what I want, man. It's self-explanatory," Payne said, later adding, "I just want what I earned."

Not that I think he would slack off after.

maxhatter

Liked Posts:
Why do people assume they would rather pay Sweat than Payne?
At this point, it's really not an either-or with Payne and Sweat. It's more of Payne or a quarterback. If Washington cuts Wentz and franchises Payne they'll have around $20M in cap space which they have to carve out the rookie pool. I don't know what it will be for them this year, but last year the Commanders paid out $11M in rookie contracts. That will leave them $9M to get a quarterback and fill out the rest of their roster. They currently have 15 unrestricted free agents. They play in a division in which 3 of the 4 teams made the playoffs. If you talk about dumb things, going into 2023 with Sam Howell as the only quarterback on your roster is about as dumb as it gets. He's played one game and threw 19 passes. I love Payne and think he will be a perfect fit for the Bears. He wants to get paid, and the Bears have the money to do so. However, he's never made all-pro or even a pro-bowl and I think for Washington that money should go elsewhere especially since they drafted his replacement in Phidarian Mathis, last year with the 15th pick in the second round

Anytime45

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
At this point, it's really not an either-or with Payne and Sweat. It's more of Payne or a quarterback. If Washington cuts Wentz and franchises Payne they'll have around $20M in cap space which they have to carve out the rookie pool. I don't know what it will be for them this year, but last year the Commanders paid out $11M in rookie contracts. That will leave them $9M to get a quarterback and fill out the rest of their roster. They currently have 15 unrestricted free agents. They play in a division in which 3 of the 4 teams made the playoffs. If you talk about dumb things, going into 2023 with Sam Howell as the only quarterback on your roster is about as dumb as it gets. He's played one game and threw 19 passes. I love Payne and think he will be a perfect fit for the Bears. He wants to get paid, and the Bears have the money to do so. However, he's never made all-pro or even a pro-bowl and I think for Washington that money should go elsewhere especially since they drafted his replacement in Phidarian Mathis, last year with the 15th pick in the second round
This is much better stated than most of the arguments i've seen out there.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
Payne had 11.5 sacks and 18 TFLs. Allen aint doing that right now.

He doesn't even need to hit another level. If you know you're getting that from a DT you'd be damn happy with it.
A lot of people on here will tell you to watch the games and that sacks and TFLs numbers don’t matter. Especially when it comes to evaluating Jalen Carter who has pedestrian sack and TFL numbers. Confused on if they matter or not

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
A lot of people on here will tell you to watch the games and that sacks and TFLs numbers don’t matter. Especially when it comes to evaluating Jalen Carter who has pedestrian sack and TFL numbers. Confused on if they matter or not
Not surprising

dennehy

Liked Posts:
It's complicated, matters what the player is asked to do, guys who are asked to mostly 2 gap aren't going to have the same production because that isn't their role. Really good IDL are often double teamed in college and it's tougher to do that in the NFL.

I'd say probably most guys that can put up those numbers are good, but that doesn't mean guys who don't aren't good. Lots of negatives in that sentence, sorry.

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yes, I would. Might try to get the Colts to trade me Buckner as well to drop down to 4…
David Schmuck Kaplan is floating a rumor that the Bears and Colts will make a deal, but the player coming to the Bears is Pittman. it is Kaplan, so I'd take the rumor with a grain of salt

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
It's complicated, matters what the player is asked to do, guys who are asked to mostly 2 gap aren't going to have the same production because that isn't their role. Really good IDL are often double teamed in college and it's tougher to do that in the NFL.

I'd say probably most guys that can put up those numbers are good, but that doesn't mean guys who don't aren't good. Lots of negatives in that sentence, sorry.

Oh I get it. Although, I do think people are a bit too quick to point to the scheme Carter is in when defending his lack of production (sacks/TFL). It’s certainly part of it, but not all of it.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Oh I get it. Although, I do think people are a bit too quick to point to the scheme Carter is in when defending his lack of production (sacks/TFL). It’s certainly part of it, but not all of it.
Yeah Carter can just absolutely blow up a backfield all day, like against LSU, but he can also disappear for stretches like against OSU.

SlickWilly

Team Ignore Member #2
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Detroit Pistons
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
You know there is a difference between someone being an age and someone turning an age?

I can't imagine you are doing this to be anything other than annoying.
You do realize he’s probably the stupidest motherfucker on the board right?

napo55

Liked Posts:
How many quality free agents would chose to sign with the Bears? Even if Payne is a free agent, there's a good chance he'd go elsewhere. When you treat your top players like Poles treated Quinn and Roquan, your chances of signing players takes a big hit.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
How many quality free agents would chose to sign with the Bears? Even if Payne is a free agent, there's a good chance he'd go elsewhere. When you treat your top players like Poles treated Quinn and Roquan, your chances of signing players takes a big hit.
No they don't. Players get traded, cut, not resigned all the time.

Unless you have some actual evidence to make the claim.

But you can't seriously think that players aren't going to sign with the Bears because they did a rebuild, with a new GM, and traded a 33 year old player to a contender.

napo55

Liked Posts:

But you can't seriously think that players aren't going to sign with the Bears because they did a rebuild, with a new GM, and traded a 33 year old player to a contender.
You may be right. But I think players consider the management and the way players are treated when chosing among several alternative destinations.

Let's see what happens ,...

dennehy

Liked Posts:
You may be right. But I think players consider the management and the way players are treated when chosing among several alternative destinations.

Let's see what happens ,...
I just don't think trading players is treating them poorly. New GMs come in and trade vets all the time.

We will also never be able to see what happens in this regard, because we don't know who Poles will offer in FA, what other teams offer, etc., so there won't be any way to measure the theory.

Anyway, I hope the Bears get good players.

WestsideResider

Bro idk
Liked Posts:

If anything players will probably think highly of Poles for sending Mack, Roquan and Quinn to better situations

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
David Schmuck Kaplan is floating a rumor that the Bears and Colts will make a deal, but the player coming to the Bears is Pittman. it is Kaplan, so I'd take the rumor with a grain of salt
That rumor came out before Kaplan even got ahold of it to repeat it so he's just playing the E.Lambert role.

Anytime45

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
That rumor came out before Kaplan even got ahold of it to repeat it so he's just playing the E.Lambert role.
Or he's playing the obvious. Houston needs a QB. Indy needs a QB. They are in the same division. They are very likely trade partners for the Bears. Easy #CALLEDIT and if it doesn't happen there are dozens of logical reasons why it didn't happen. Welcome to the world of DBB.