Will Daron Payne hit free agency?

shoez90

Liked Posts:
I definitely did not say that. I just pointed out that Payne is weak against the run and misses a lot of tackles and wouldn’t want to commit 20+ mil per year for him over 5 years which is what it would likely take. I also question how well he would do without a great (better) DT next to him.

I also wouldn’t say Jones is a depth piece either he’s a legit starter and Larry O is a season removed from 7 sacks. Not surprised that’s your take though.
He's always like that he's a Anderson \ Carter first pick guy even if we could get a ton of picks for the spot. We need multiple talent multiple places.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
David Schmuck Kaplan is floating a rumor that the Bears and Colts will make a deal, but the player coming to the Bears is Pittman. it is Kaplan, so I'd take the rumor with a grain of salt
I'd take any rumor with many grains of salt at this point.

It is his speculation, not whispers from front office personnel.

There is no way Poles is already talking about finalizing a trade with Indy or anyone else, so it's not like Kaplan has a source letting him know the deal is almost done. It's January. Deals aren't going to be made in January.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
How many quality free agents would chose to sign with the Bears? Even if Payne is a free agent, there's a good chance he'd go elsewhere. When you treat your top players like Poles treated Quinn and Roquan, your chances of signing players takes a big hit.
Poles sent all three defenders to contending teams. Mack was especially appreciative. Nobody in their right mind thinks Poles treated any player poorly. Quite the opposite.

Milky

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Payne will be franchised.

then… on the first day of free agency… it happens….

*Breaking News…*

Commanders have traded with the Chicago Bears for the #1 pick.

Bears receive:
2023 1st #16 overall
DT Daron Payne
WR Terry McLaurin
2024 1st
2024 3rd
2025 1st
2025 2nd

Commanders receive:
2023 1st #1 overall
2023 4th (Eagles)

The crazy/unrealistic trade scenarios have been the best part of having the #1 pick, at least so far.

Bear_Assed

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Know a reasonable but big Washington fan that swears he is getting tagged and that Washington can afford it, He may be using fuzzy math, I don’t know.
There is no way Payne is going to be a FA. He’s either getting tagged, signed or tagged and traded.

Washington can get much more for him in a tag and trade vs a comp pick if they let him walk. Also, Washington doesn’t have any other candidates for the tag, so I’m not sure why people are even considering him as a FA signing for the Bears this offseason.

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
There is no way Payne is going to be a FA. He’s either getting tagged, signed or tagged and traded.

Washington can get much more for him in a tag and trade vs a comp pick if they let him walk. Also, Washington doesn’t have any other candidates for the tag, so I’m not sure why people are even considering him as a FA signing for the Bears this offseason.
Such a Redskins thing to do, spend a quarter of your cap space on 2 DT's so you can stay sub 500.

maxhatter

Liked Posts:
While tag and traded transactions have happened. Jarvis Landry was traded in 2018 for a fourth in 2018 and a 7th in 2019, Dee Ford was traded in 2019 for a 2020 second-round pick (63), Frank Clark and a 2019 3rd pick were traded to Kansas City for a 2019 1st round pick. Jadeveon Clowney was traded to Seattle in 2019 for a 2020 second-round pick. Interestingly enough Clowney played on the franchise tag and didn't resign with Seattle and Yannick Ngakoue was traded to the Vikings in 2020 for a second-round pick in 2021. He played 8 games with Minnesota who traded him to Baltimore for a 2021 3rd pick. So why tag and trades happen, outside of the Frank Clark trade, it hasn't worked out all that well. Buyer beware!