Will Leonard Fournette end up on the Bears?

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:
I think Pace is playing one of his long games with Fournette. There are some pros and cons in this, but, overall, Fournette needs the Bears. The question is, do they need Fournette. This post will, hopefully, come to an answer.

What are the knocks on a back that has amassed over 2,500 yards and 100 catches in three years? A big back that is also a top ten back? Simple. He’s a locker room cancer with a reputation straffed with questions about his work ethic and commitment. There is also the issue of his contract. We will get to that first.

Leonard Fournette Contract: Bears Would Get Him on 1-Year, $4 Million Prove-It Deal in 2020. There it is. That’s a Deer in heat lewing for big buck pace to come on down. A one year prove it deal for a back that will bring a few victories to Chicago? I am not sure why this hasn’t already happened.

Okay, let’s discuss why this would work for Fournette.

Fournette has one year to make or break his next contract. A guy picked up a few picks after him, CMC, just made the kind of bank he could only dream about. Fournette got his fifth year declined as his, start laughing now, “reward”.

So, he needs a location where he will rehabilitate his image AND show the league that he cares about something other than fame and money. Yeah, right…

So, why Chicago? Simple. He will either do one of two things here, relegate Monty to the bench or share carries, either way, it is a win/win for Chicago.

Scenario 1: Fournette just blows everyone away and illustrates why he was a top five pick. Monty sits. He’s the type of guy that will bide his time and put the team first. Either way, he gets paid. He runs havoc in ‘21 or stays as a role back as the Bears look for his replacement.

Scenario 2: Fournette is in a time share. His attitude looks good. He shows what he can do. He takes fewer hits and is ready for the next team after a change of scenery and an image rehabilitation.

Why Chicago?

He has the Louisiana connection. You don’t think Pace saw him play at LSU when he was heralded as the next Adrian Peterson?

He has ties to ‘Flip. He has ties to Foles.

He gives Chicago, IMHOP, at least two extra victories, takes a load off of the starting QB, and, even better, forces the opposing D to recognize the run and allow AR212 and company to wreak havoc.

I think we still have the cap available. Over the cap has the Bears sitting at 9 mil. I’m not sure if that includes both the new free agents and the designated June 1st cuts. I’m not a salary cap guy, and I don’t claim to be, but it does look like we can swing the 4 mil and some change to get Fournette.

Now, the con: what if he is a complete turd. Nagy said his team has no turds. What does Pace do? This is where he is shown the door and he blew up any chance at getting a good contract. He is a different level of fucked if he can’t prove it on a one year prove it deal.

What would it take to get him from the Jags?

They were shopping him on day two of the draft, so I’m thinking they wanted a third rounder for him at worst. That was then. This is now. Sure, they’re renewing their vows and saying the right things now, but I think they just don’t want to weaken his market even more by hinting at a release. So, I think we can get him for even less. We might snag him for a fifth, or even a sixth, of which we have 3 or 4 of, thank you comp picks.

If you think a 5th or 6th is fucking hilarious, think about the fact that they don’t have a TE! Okay, they signed perennially hurt Eifert. As an aside, I really want to forgive the lot of you chicken lovers that were pining for Eifert when the off-season started, but I can’t, not yet. Time heals all wounds. So, back to the Jags. If you guys want a great laugh, look at their TE depth chart, 2/4 have a Q already and Eifert is just a matter of time. I can’t make this shit up. They need a TE and we have Burrito Gronk! Yeah! Give dem da Sheen!

We have a waste of draft pick. They have a waste of a draft pick, so it looks like the closing time trade to end all closing time beer goggle trades. Hopefully, they will wake up hung over and disappointed while staring at the tall hunk of a dude they thought they were getting as they look his burrito chiseled form up and down and wonder if the shot was worth it.

So, it is possible we give them a shitty TE for Fournette. A 6th rounder we got for free for a Jag. I wonder if there was ever a precedent for sending a comp pick to the Jags for someone they don’t need anymore. Maybe a QB that got beat out by the guy that Fournette was openly campaigning to get rid of by bringing in Cam Newton? Yeah, Mustache Minshew is still there. It is kinds sorta his team now.

So, this post is long enough and rambling enough as it is.

What do you guys think about Fournette coming to the Bears?

WookieOnRitalin

Liked Posts:
I don't see a scenario where Fournette can be had without giving up something of value. I expect the Bears to invest in Montgomery and hope Castillo improves the offensive line run blocking (which historically he has shown he can do).

The Bears honestly do not need that much more production out of the RB position. Their yards were down considerably, but their attempts were also way down. Montgomery still gained almost 900 yards with bad O-Line play last year. That's commendable.

If Montgomery gets 250 attempts at 4.1 yard/carry ten he will have 1025 yards next year. These are not crazy goals for next year.

Honestly, the problem last year was not Montgomery vs Howard (who had similar numbers in yards and average). No, the problem was that Mitch and Cohen lost 500 yards of running production compared to 2018.

The key in general is just to get the O-Line playing better. The rest should take care of itself.

greg23

Liked Posts:
Run that trade by me again....

Leonard Fournette......4th pick in draft 4 years ago

For

A worthless TE because that team already has a bunch of worthless TE's
And
A 6th round comp pick that we dont actually have

Pick me a winner bobby

jtreal3

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
2021's 1st, 2nd, & 4 & 2022's 3rd for Fournette and the Jags 7th!!!
Sounds about right for a Pace trade. Get it done Pace!

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
I would love to have Fournette, because there is no one on the Bears that scares a defense. Cohen is undersized, runs sideways and should only be a situational guy, not a every down back. Monty runs hard and will get yards after contact, but is not going to outrun a defense, the UDFA (Pierce), is unproven.

We need to remember that at QB we will either have Trubisky or Foles.... so if this team is going to be effective on Offense we are going to need to be balanced, because neither of our QBs should be trying to carry the offense (are you listening Nagy!!).

I am sure if we go back and look at the 8 wins we had last year (I might do that later), we will see that it was a balanced attack more often than not that got us those wins.

The contract seems to be very reasonable for a former first rounder, but with his issues in the locker room perhaps they should just wait and see if he gets released and offer him a prove it contract, same as he was set to get from Jax, or draw up a deal that gives him more than one year, but gives the Bears the option to cut him without a cap (or a minimal one) hit next year.

At this point, he is the best option talent wise, and we have seen players that are looking for the next contract play some of their best ball. If they can get him for a late round draft pick next year and not have to compete with other teams for his services (I believe he will have multiple offer if he is released).

Of course all of this does not mean crap unless the O-line is better, a lot better!

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:

He ain't going anywhere. Sorry

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:

He ain't going anywhere. Sorry
I read the article and the quotes from their GM indicates that there is still a chance that they would trade him.

"I think the mindset is that we're going to go forward with Leonard on the team"

Sorry but that is not total conviction that I read in that statement.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I would think having ties to Bears personnel would work against and not for him but then again a prove it deals means he's proving he can be a good mate so not necessarily a good argument against the OP's scenario. One I think may be valid is that he'd pick somewhere else that had a better OL if he was doing a prove it deal. They are about showing everyone that you are all that to cash in a year later. Being a good mate would help but without the #s, he's not getting PAID.

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
You can cut Shaheen and save 1.2 million, IIRC. If Fournette is available at a dumpster diving price, making it work under the cap is easily accomplished.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Liked Posts:
Never happening because Fournette's agents cannot be dumb enough to put their client in a running scheme commandeered by the brain child that is Matt Nagy.

Seriously guys, if you were a top 5 draft pick at a critical juncture in your career are you going to the Bears with their running game?

Fuck no.

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Am I the only one who likes Montgomery? I don't think he is Forte level but I think he is a good back who again played behind a shit OL and had an incompetent QB

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Am I the only one who likes Montgomery? I don't think he is Forte level but I think he is a good back who again played behind a shit OL and had an incompetent QB

I like Montgomery, wish he had just a tad more speed. Montgomery could have a very good season if the QB/Line play improves even marginally.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Liked Posts:

I think he's already great, our coach just doesn't like running the ball.

And I've seen Monty make some outstanding catches for an RB, but our dumb-fuck coach doesn't even utilize his catching ability either.

Seriously, we gotta separate Nagy from Cohen. He's dialed into the guy,

Dragon Slayer

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Last year the entire offense was pathetic. I can't pass judgement on a rookie for running behind that line. Jury is still out on him. I'm excited to see what he can do this year.

Alpha Male

Liked Posts:
I am not sure what monty is right now. He seems to be good a breaking tackles, but until nagy runs the ball more than 4 times a game, we will never know. And I don't think the coaching changes will lead to more running. Nagy is still calling the plays and he won't be able to help himself.

Alpha Male

Liked Posts:
Last year the entire offense was pathetic. I can't pass judgement on a rookie for running behind that line. Jury is still out on him. I'm excited to see what he can do this year.
Yes it was and there are still people here that think nagy is some sort of offensive guru.