Will Nagy cure his addiction to the Shotgun Spread?

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
Its a staple of Nagy's playcalling and seems like the base set he wants to work out of. But its puts alot of stress on your OL and your QB and in my opinion is why the Bears have struggled so much under Nagy and the offense never seems to gel.

When you constantly spread things out you aren't giving your OL any help from your tight ends. And when that happens the protection is going to break down and you force your QB to make a quick read under pressure.

Nagy has relied on the decision making of his QB to find the open guy in this situation but that hasn't worked out. He then brought in Foles and he couldn't make it work. Now its supposed to be Dalton. But I don't think its going to work well with anyone. Even KC and Mahomes looked pedestrian in the superbowl when their protection didn't hold up.

It is just too much pressure too often. Your QB gets shell shocked. The OL has false starts. You have got to help those OL with chip blocks or double teams from your TEs. Or roll your QB out of the pocket. Keep the defensive line guessing and not teeing off on your QB.

Its just not a set you can call consistently without great OTs and have success. We will see if Nagy can make it work or change his tune this season.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
He didn't come here to run the I

He damn sure didn't and you are probably right that we won't see a change. Dalton's decision making may help but it didn't look good in preseason that is for sure.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Yeah well any much longer of this offense and I will be pining for the Ron Turner years of running the ball with a fullback dive.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
4th and inches?! No worries!! I’ll out smart everyone with a sideline fade route!!

if you can’t line up and basically tell the other team, yeah…we running it up the gut and we are getting a yard…then your offense is trash

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Its a staple of Nagy's playcalling and seems like the base set he wants to work out of. But its puts alot of stress on your OL and your QB and in my opinion is why the Bears have struggled so much under Nagy and the offense never seems to gel.

When you constantly spread things out you aren't giving your OL any help from your tight ends. And when that happens the protection is going to break down and you force your QB to make a quick read under pressure.

Nagy has relied on the decision making of his QB to find the open guy in this situation but that hasn't worked out. He then brought in Foles and he couldn't make it work. Now its supposed to be Dalton. But I don't think its going to work well with anyone. Even KC and Mahomes looked pedestrian in the superbowl when their protection didn't hold up.

It is just too much pressure too often. Your QB gets shell shocked. The OL has false starts. You have got to help those OL with chip blocks or double teams from your TEs. Or roll your QB out of the pocket. Keep the defensive line guessing and not teeing off on your QB.

Its just not a set you can call consistently without great OTs and have success. We will see if Nagy can make it work or change his tune this season.
I would take it out of the playbook, except when Fields is on the field.

I would then go to trips on one side and two WRs on the other, all WRs close to the sidelines. Moonie, Byrd, Goodwin and Perriman are all speed demons and AR would be the possession WR in this situation.

This would require 7 defenders to cover all of that (5 CBs and 2 safeties). That would leave only 4 defenders to rush.

At this point, it would be a run-pass option for Fields.

He could still take a 7-step drop from the shotgun (not against NFL rules). He would create an additional separation that defenders would have to traverse. The advantage is that he does not have his back to anything that is going on. He can see if there is any blitz happening.

Since he already has a cushion before the ball is even snapped and a football travels WAY faster than even the fastest defender in NFL history, he has time to react after dropping back an additional 7 steps (5 yards?).

The Rams send a CB on a blitz?

Fields knows that there is now only one safety deep with 4 speed demons and eating up the yardage quickly. He has time enough to play matador with that blitzing CB. He can use the WHOLE Field around him, not just the sides or the front. He can use his 4.4 speed to out run the CB when the CB has to adjust his path, buying Fields time to either run the ball with 4 of the defensive backs with their backs to him and all of them far from the line of scrimmage or buy time for one of the 5 receivers, who are being covered by 6 defenders, to get open.

Given enough time, a peak Prime Time would eventually lose coverage. Even Ramsey is not peak Prime Time level and he is the best CB the Rams have. This means that there are going to be lots of Bears receivers running free eventually, especially since one of those defenders is a safety.

Fields suddenly, has one DB, who is taxed with defending any and all deep routes, looking at him and 5 DBs running with receivers.

Easy 15+ yard rush or, if he sees someone breaking free, an easy 20+ pass.

There is no chance of a spy in this situation because the defense has to use 6-7 DBs to cover the 5 receivers.

If no one blitzes,

The deep coverage is better with less chances of someone running completely uncovered. But Fields has the same chances of running because there is no spy.

What happens if a defensive lineman breaks free in this situation?

Have you ever considered that it is not against the NFL rules for a QB who is in shotgun to take a 7 step drop?

Do you think that those 5 yards that Fields lost is going to suddenly make him passing deep become inaccurate?

Fields would create such a separation between him and the line of scrimmage, that it would allow Fields real time to plan for and avoid a free-rushing Aaron Donald. No, I am not advocating for the Bears to give Donald a free run towards Fields, but I am imagining a worst-case scenario where Donald takes almost zero seconds to get past the offensive linemen.

Donald may be really fast, but not Fields fast (4.6 versus 4.4).

The large separation would force the defenders to think about what Fields could do against them, slowing them down while also tiring them out.

Remember, Fields is fresh as a daisy because he is not starting, while Donald and the Boys are running around all day.

I could even see a "screen" situation where the defensive line allowed defenders to pass (conditionally), Fields beating one lineman with his speed and suddenly him having 5 offensive linemen blocking in front of him.

I would call it The Crimson Tide which is where Alabama got its name from, them talking about a run of elephants or big offensive linemen.

Zone coverage would be a bit different, but with 5 receivers challenging the field beyond the 3 mid defenders, there would be a 5 to 4 WR to defender advantage every play. With Fields dropping back from a shotgun, it would allow more time for defenders to get to him, more area before the line of scrimmage where he can allow his receivers to get open before he has to decide to run or pass.

The problem with deep passes is the time required for the patterns to get open. He would just be creating time by creating space between him and defenders getting to him.

Remember that it would also not be against the NFL rules to move forward after having dropped back from a shotgun, if the offensive line has blocked well.

Ok. That was a bit of imagination thinking about Fields using the whole field on purpose instead of in panic.

This idea did bring up a good question.

Who is going to cover a 5 WR set, especially if there is 1 CB injured for a play or two?

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
When Fields started this recent game that was one of his first playcalls and of course it didn't work because we didn't get the protection at the tackle positions.

He did mix it up a little as the game progressed, but I feel Nagy just wants as many receivers out in coverage as possible. He doesn't want to keep guys in to block on passing plays. Dalton is a statue in the pocket so if he calls minimum protection plays that is going to put a ton of pressure on him.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
Just google the minivan. Brilliant evil genius that came up with that one. LMAO.

msadows

Liked Posts:
it works in madden man

You ever tried running up the gut with 5 WR's out there? The defense never sees it coming!

Bust

Liked Posts:

Was shotgun spread heavily utilized to help out jock itch Mitch tho? That was the every down formation at UNC when Mitch was there.

Dalton seemed to be moar under center . . .

Bort

Liked Posts:
I would take it out of the playbook, except when Fields is on the field.

I would then go to trips on one side and two WRs on the other, all WRs close to the sidelines. Moonie, Byrd, Goodwin and Perriman are all speed demons and AR would be the possession WR in this situation.

This would require 7 defenders to cover all of that (5 CBs and 2 safeties). That would leave only 4 defenders to rush.

At this point, it would be a run-pass option for Fields.

He could still take a 7-step drop from the shotgun (not against NFL rules). He would create an additional separation that defenders would have to traverse. The advantage is that he does not have his back to anything that is going on. He can see if there is any blitz happening.

Since he already has a cushion before the ball is even snapped and a football travels WAY faster than even the fastest defender in NFL history, he has time to react after dropping back an additional 7 steps (5 yards?).

The Rams send a CB on a blitz?

Fields knows that there is now only one safety deep with 4 speed demons and eating up the yardage quickly. He has time enough to play matador with that blitzing CB. He can use the WHOLE Field around him, not just the sides or the front. He can use his 4.4 speed to out run the CB when the CB has to adjust his path, buying Fields time to either run the ball with 4 of the defensive backs with their backs to him and all of them far from the line of scrimmage or buy time for one of the 5 receivers, who are being covered by 6 defenders, to get open.

Given enough time, a peak Prime Time would eventually lose coverage. Even Ramsey is not peak Prime Time level and he is the best CB the Rams have. This means that there are going to be lots of Bears receivers running free eventually, especially since one of those defenders is a safety.

Fields suddenly, has one DB, who is taxed with defending any and all deep routes, looking at him and 5 DBs running with receivers.

Easy 15+ yard rush or, if he sees someone breaking free, an easy 20+ pass.

There is no chance of a spy in this situation because the defense has to use 6-7 DBs to cover the 5 receivers.

If no one blitzes,

The deep coverage is better with less chances of someone running completely uncovered. But Fields has the same chances of running because there is no spy.

What happens if a defensive lineman breaks free in this situation?

Have you ever considered that it is not against the NFL rules for a QB who is in shotgun to take a 7 step drop?

Do you think that those 5 yards that Fields lost is going to suddenly make him passing deep become inaccurate?

Fields would create such a separation between him and the line of scrimmage, that it would allow Fields real time to plan for and avoid a free-rushing Aaron Donald. No, I am not advocating for the Bears to give Donald a free run towards Fields, but I am imagining a worst-case scenario where Donald takes almost zero seconds to get past the offensive linemen.

Donald may be really fast, but not Fields fast (4.6 versus 4.4).

The large separation would force the defenders to think about what Fields could do against them, slowing them down while also tiring them out.

Remember, Fields is fresh as a daisy because he is not starting, while Donald and the Boys are running around all day.

I could even see a "screen" situation where the defensive line allowed defenders to pass (conditionally), Fields beating one lineman with his speed and suddenly him having 5 offensive linemen blocking in front of him.

I would call it The Crimson Tide which is where Alabama got its name from, them talking about a run of elephants or big offensive linemen.

Zone coverage would be a bit different, but with 5 receivers challenging the field beyond the 3 mid defenders, there would be a 5 to 4 WR to defender advantage every play. With Fields dropping back from a shotgun, it would allow more time for defenders to get to him, more area before the line of scrimmage where he can allow his receivers to get open before he has to decide to run or pass.

The problem with deep passes is the time required for the patterns to get open. He would just be creating time by creating space between him and defenders getting to him.

Remember that it would also not be against the NFL rules to move forward after having dropped back from a shotgun, if the offensive line has blocked well.

Ok. That was a bit of imagination thinking about Fields using the whole field on purpose instead of in panic.

This idea did bring up a good question.

Who is going to cover a 5 WR set, especially if there is 1 CB injured for a play or two?
You're overthinking this. Just have Fields line up 20 yards behind the line of scrimmage and use a longsnapper.

hebs

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Missionary position while chugging a beer?
Nah… you’re thinking of the glug luv

shotgun spread is her on her back on the side of the bed and you standing and holding the legs.
when it’s time to culminate the coitus, you pull out and employ your hand to pump action your “shotgun spread” all over her stomach and chest.

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:

No he won't.

Evidence he ran a trap play where his WR was supposed to hit the DE with a trap block.