Will the Cubs actually extend Nico Hoerner this offseason?

Castor76

Liked Posts:

Do you want the Cubs to lock up Nico Hoerner to an extension?

Like with any contract, it depends on years and total money. But I might like to see one more season unless it's a great deal for the team.

Bearcub13

Liked Posts:
I really have been a fan of Nico, but like most players coming out of the minors, hitting is a huge issue. We have all seem the drill, player gets called up hits like a house on fire and then 6 weeks later they are back in AAA ball. The MLB coaches put together a very accurate and inclusive book on every hitter. They could find a hole in Ted Williams' swing. So we saw Nico hit well early last year then fall off as the season wore on. The same thing this last season, his hitting struggled as the season went on. He fell off less his second year. This next year if he hits above say .270 for the season, sign him up. He is a good defensive player, runs the bases well, with some speed, and has done some timely hitting. I like to see home grown talent excel. But, if he is not going to be a home run hitter his long term future might be at second base.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
I like the approach the Braves are doing by extending their young core.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I like the approach the Braves are doing by extending their young core.
Its risky. They are essentially the same team for the next 5 years. Core stays healthy and doesnt regress. Brilliant. If not, they dont have a lot of flexibility and their farm is depleted.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
Its risky. They are essentially the same team for the next 5 years. Core stays healthy and doesnt regress. Brilliant. If not, they dont have a lot of flexibility and their farm is depleted.
I don't really agree though, the contracts are very team friendly and would be easy to get out of with trades.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't really agree though, the contracts are very team friendly and would be easy to get out of with trades.
They got lucky with Acuna and Albies signing way to low. That dont happen often