Will Trevor Story be a target?

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
Stay away from Colorado players, those splits...

Nolan Arenado went from a .300 hitter to hitting .253 and an 80 point drop in slugging.

We go after Correa or Bryant, guys that are lower on the K rates and still have power.

CSF77

Liked Posts:

Nolan Arenado went from a .300 hitter to hitting .253 and an 80 point drop in slugging.

We go after Correa or Bryant, guys that are lower on the K rates and still have power.

I'm more concerned with Col pitchers. There is a long line of ex col pitchers that fall apart. Wade Davis is the latest trainwreck out of there.

Hitters? Nolan is a GG calaber 3B. As long as he has power you live with the rest.

Story on the other hand? No. Cubs have enough right now to go into 2022 and to flip a few players at the deadline. The time to invest is when the next core is pending.

SS I want to see Nico there.
3B Wisdom has legit power and any mistake is going to get wrecked.

So if they do add it should be a LHSP and a LH bat that doesn't suck.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
If it was Cory Seager and he was saying that he will play 3B and sign a multi. That is another story.

LH core hitter. That point flip Happ and start Wisdom at LF.

Might be the only exception.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

What’s even worse is that Story is having a bad season offensively while still in Colorado.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
I'm more concerned with Col pitchers. There is a long line of ex col pitchers that fall apart. Wade Davis is the latest trainwreck out of there.

Hitters? Nolan is a GG calaber 3B. As long as he has power you live with the rest.

Story on the other hand? No. Cubs have enough right now to go into 2022 and to flip a few players at the deadline. The time to invest is when the next core is pending.

SS I want to see Nico there.
3B Wisdom has legit power and any mistake is going to get wrecked.

So if they do add it should be a LHSP and a LH bat that doesn't suck.
Yeah Arenado is still good, but you are going to pay for their Coors numbers and not their expected drop.

Zvbxrpl

Liked Posts:
If you're going to drop big bucks on a SS/3B, I'd rather Correa than Story.

But I'd rather not drop big bucks, go in on a reclamation project pitcher like Paxton, a couple of pen arms and start flipping at the deadline. I'm not as confident as some on this board that Wisdom/Ortega/Schwindel especially maintain this level of play for an entire season, but a hotter 2nd half is nice to see with bad baseball.

Lean into the tank.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Point being, regarding Story, the Cubs are heavy on RH hitters now. System wise Davis and Canario both RH power.

So trying to project this out.

Right now the main power is Contreras, Schwindel, Happ and Wisdom. So adding a LH bat makes more sense now.

In 3 years Davis and Canario should be at the corners. Crow-Armstrong in CF. 3B open, 1B we will see. Numbers wise from Schwindel in the minors are in line with a near .300 hitter so this will temper down but it is not a illusion.

Yet again we are seeing more RH vs LH hitters. At this point 3B and C would be the target spots.

Cory Seager makes more sense if Jed gets the green light

If he gets creative then retain the 2 catchers he has now and flip Contreras for a high upside LH hitting prospect that plays 3B or catcher. Either way the team will need to address this lacking

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Lol @ move Wisdom to LF

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Lol @ move Wisdom to LF
He has been playing there.

Let's see.

Dave Kingman.
Sarge
Sori
Chunk wagon
Joc.

Yep long list of gold glove LF in Chicago.

You are 100% correct with your opinion.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
He has been playing there.

Let's see.

Dave Kingman.
Sarge
Sori
Chunk wagon
Joc.

Yep long list of gold glove LF in Chicago.

You are 100% correct with your opinion.

hmm let’s see…none of those guys have ever won a World Series as the LF in Chicago. Seems like a legit path to take!

You are 100% correct with your opinion

CSF77

Liked Posts:
hmm let’s see…none of those guys have ever won a World Series as the LF in Chicago. Seems like a legit path to take!

You are 100% correct with your opinion

You are right. Chunk Wagon was a cripple that year

But when you toss in 108 years of ass your argument holds little value

Now Cubs.com is hyping up Happer. I look at it as he sucks. Has a good 8 game run. Then sucks. And now on a 13 game run. Pathetic.

Then Heyward. .203. yep great leader right there.

So at the 'end of the day' if your best left hand hitter is a so called AAAA scrappy hitter then you are broken by nature.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
If you're going to drop big bucks on a SS/3B, I'd rather Correa than Story.

But I'd rather not drop big bucks, go in on a reclamation project pitcher like Paxton, a couple of pen arms and start flipping at the deadline. I'm not as confident as some on this board that Wisdom/Ortega/Schwindel especially maintain this level of play for an entire season, but a hotter 2nd half is nice to see with bad baseball.

Lean into the tank.

I thought Correa was part of the cheating. Add to it he is viewed as cancer. That said he is having a great year.

I really feel that Jed will continue with cheap though.

CF Ortega
1B Schwindel
LF Happ
3B Wisdom
C Contreras
2B Madrogal
RF Heyward
SS Hoerner

Basically they will pull a mulligan. Davis comes up and they bump Heyward or trade/cut Happ.

On the rotation we are looking at right now:

Hendricks
Alzolay
Mills
Steel
Thompson

Marquez? Who knows where he will start after a shoulder injury.
Wicks should be in A+ next year.
Franklin lost a year too. A+ also
Hertz shot up the rankings. He should be on the watch list now. A+
Kilian AAA Next in line.
Jensen took a dip. AA now. I see him starting there in 22 and moved up to AAA. This is most likely Marquez's ETA also.

So if they are planning to rent a flip as you say? Yes it makes sense to push Mills into long relief. They will have him and Kilian to fight over the spot post flip. Marquez and Jensen might get some BP time in Sept then start up 2023 in Iowa.

So I can see what you said as making sense. Rent a flip and let Franklin, Wicks, Marquez and Jansen bunch together more for the next pitching wave to hit in mid to late 2023.

The wild card is Alexander Vizcaino. Stuff wise he is TOR. 160 lbs is a concern. He is Edwards all over again which makes me think that he will end up like him. I honestly just see a 1 inning pitcher.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
DJ Hertz 14.92 SO/9. Sidearm LHSP. Good slider and working on a change.
Caleb Kilian 9.16 SO/9
Ryan Jensen 10.63 SO/9
Alexander Vizcaino 13.24 SO/9

But that is why these guys get ranked higher. The rest have not pitched this year. Kilian is more of a finished product and has a 1.37 BB/9. So that puts him up there with out a dominate strike out rate.

Looking at these guys.

Kilian safe pick for a starter. High floor.

Jensen set up, Safe pick

Hertz might end up a staff ace if he gets everything together. His SO/9 is off the chart and his slider makes hitters look silly. Add a change up and ouch. Add to it he can add more size and strength to his frame. As is he is sitting mid 90's and they view him as having a higher top end. High ceiling but a bit of risk.

Viz... I honestly see him as a train wreck like Edwards was. 24 YO with 6'2" 160 lbs. I'm 6'2" and 230. Even as a smoker in my late 20's I was at 190 and felt thin. This kid is going to wreck his arm. Mark it down. Broke arm. Didn't eat enough. Sorry ma no big $$$ coming home. Next time 2 helpings per.

Zvbxrpl

Liked Posts:
I really feel that Jed will continue with cheap though.

CF Ortega
1B Schwindel
LF Happ
3B Wisdom
C Contreras
2B Madrogal
RF Heyward
SS Hoerner

Basically they will pull a mulligan. Davis comes up and they bump Heyward or trade/cut Happ.
Not sure how this line up is going to score runs/fare over an entire season, not a few red hot streaks. I'll guess 60 wins. And I'll take it because I want this rebuild to produce fruit like the last one. I really don't think Ortega or Schwindel can be this consistent over the course of an entire year.

Glad you came around, you were gung ho on spending/lecturing me on all the finances. :beer:

Marquez? Who knows where he will start after a shoulder injury.
Wicks should be in A+ next year.
Franklin lost a year too. A+ also
Hertz shot up the rankings. He should be on the watch list now. A+
Kilian AAA Next in line.
Jensen took a dip. AA now. I see him starting there in 22 and moved up to AAA. This is most likely Marquez's ETA also.

So if they are planning to rent a flip as you say? Yes it makes sense to push Mills into long relief. They will have him and Kilian to fight over the spot post flip. Marquez and Jensen might get some BP time in Sept then start up 2023 in Iowa.

So I can see what you said as making sense. Rent a flip and let Franklin, Wicks, Marquez and Jansen bunch together more for the next pitching wave to hit in mid to late 2023.

The wild card is Alexander Vizcaino. Stuff wise he is TOR. 160 lbs is a concern. He is Edwards all over again which makes me think that he will end up like him. I honestly just see a 1 inning pitcher.
Truly, I want to be excited, but I can't. Because I know better...

(Skip this paragraph if you don't like me being a correct broken record) Wake me up when any of them is earning the effort of hype you're giving them at the MLB level, or hell--even gets there. Again I'm tired of incessantly great minor league reports when in reality, they haven't produced anything better than Adbert Alzolay or James Norwood as a pitcher from the cubs farm system for a decade.

Vizcaino has TOR stuff? 65 fastball and 65 change up look great until you see his control and results at A ball. He's been target practice in 2021 in A ball and MLB.com's cubs 19th prospect with an overall grade of 45 who was traded for an expiring contract/rental. You'd think if he was TOR, the Yankees wouldn't give him up for a couple of months of Rizzo, as productive as he's been for them. It just seems like he has a great 1-2 punch combo but can't put it together and the Yanks don't want to commit to trying...

I will, however, have my eye on Steele. I'm jaded as fuck when it comes to the competency of the cubs' scouting department--specifically when it comes to pitching because--well, you're probably sick of me saying it--the gross lack of results over the past decade of drafting/internationally signing and developing. You bring up Thompson as well, so maybe one of them *can* satiate my palate for wanting some homegrown pitching...

2-way position players? Jed finds them in his sleep. Maybe I get something nice with Steele. And Mills wouldn't be in the rotation if you're rolling with KH, Adbert, Thompson, Steele, rental. Again, I want Paxton's medicals to check out, but he's the perfect target. He's been TOR before, injuries and now age. Think Wrigley would be awfully kind to his style.

But then again, I want to strip this thing down to the studs, so if Hendricks/Willy gets you a prospect king's ransom this winter, maybe Mills is your 5th or even 6th/LR guy.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Not sure how this line up is going to score runs/fare over an entire season, not a few red hot streaks. I'll guess 60 wins. And I'll take it because I want this rebuild to produce fruit like the last one. I really don't think Ortega or Schwindel can be this consistent over the course of an entire year.

Glad you came around, you were gung ho on spending/lecturing me on all the finances. :beer:

Truly, I want to be excited, but I can't. Because I know better...

(Skip this paragraph if you don't like me being a correct broken record) Wake me up when any of them is earning the effort of hype you're giving them at the MLB level, or hell--even gets there. Again I'm tired of incessantly great minor league reports when in reality, they haven't produced anything better than Adbert Alzolay or James Norwood as a pitcher from the cubs farm system for a decade.

Vizcaino has TOR stuff? 65 fastball and 65 change up look great until you see his control and results at A ball. He's been target practice in 2021 in A ball and MLB.com's cubs 19th prospect with an overall grade of 45 who was traded for an expiring contract/rental. You'd think if he was TOR, the Yankees wouldn't give him up for a couple of months of Rizzo, as productive as he's been for them. It just seems like he has a great 1-2 punch combo but can't put it together and the Yanks don't want to commit to trying...

I will, however, have my eye on Steele. I'm jaded as fuck when it comes to the competency of the cubs' scouting department--specifically when it comes to pitching because--well, you're probably sick of me saying it--the gross lack of results over the past decade of drafting/internationally signing and developing. You bring up Thompson as well, so maybe one of them *can* satiate my palate for wanting some homegrown pitching...

2-way position players? Jed finds them in his sleep. Maybe I get something nice with Steele. And Mills wouldn't be in the rotation if you're rolling with KH, Adbert, Thompson, Steele, rental. Again, I want Paxton's medicals to check out, but he's the perfect target. He's been TOR before, injuries and now age. Think Wrigley would be awfully kind to his style.

But then again, I want to strip this thing down to the studs, so if Hendricks/Willy gets you a prospect king's ransom this winter, maybe Mills is your 5th or even 6th/LR guy.

Viz is a clone of Edwards. Electric glass.

Hertz, Marquez and Wicks are the guys to watch now. Of the 3. Wicks is a high floor change up lefty. Marquez IMO should close. He can go 100 MPH/Slider death. It is the fastest way to get him up.

Hertz could end up as good as Chris Sale if he learns to control his stuff and his change becomes decent. He is toolsy but he has that kind of upside to let develop proper.

As far as the line up goes. 60 wins might be fair. I see it as get the core a little closer. When Davis is ready then start pruning the shrub.