Last edited by a moderator:

Bronek

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Georgia Bulldogs
Honestly, the Cubs are making mistake by not retaining Contreras and Happ. With those two, we know who we got. There are no guarantees to quality what you get in trades..

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Honestly, the Cubs are making mistake by not retaining Contreras and Happ. With those two, we know who we got. There are no guarantees to quality what you get in trades..
K so let’s say they keep Contreras and Happ…

Contreras is 30 and Happ is 28. Cubs currently have the 5th worst record in baseball WITH those two guys.

When do you think the cubs are actually ready to compete again? 2-3 years?

So you’re counting on a catcher who will be 32-33 years old by the time the cubs are ready to seriously contend again(at the earliest).

And then a 30-31 year old Happ, who is having a great year, and maybe has figured things out finally, but is it worth the risk of hanging onto him and hoping he gives you a few more years of this level of play? Or is it smarter to go ahead and cash his value in while it’s at an all time high?

There is NO reason the cubs should keep either when they both can yield the return that they can now

And that’s not even factoring in Free Agency issues and risks of losing these guys for nothing in the offseason

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
As much as I wasn't interested in bringing any of the guys back last year, I would be all for trading Contreras and resigning him at the end of the season
This might be the play by Hoyer.
Bryant and Rizzo seemed to both be upset at the offers the Cubs gave them, only for them to get less in the off season from other teams. Why would Hoyer risk upsetting Contreras with an offer now? It shows that older players aren't getting the money and years they want, so it is best to let Contreras see what other teams are offering and the Cubs coming in slightly higher.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
As much as I wasn't interested in bringing any of the guys back last year, I would be all for trading Contreras and resigning him at the end of the season
#Shrewed

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Rizzo did contemplate coming back this year and for some reason. I think he will be back with us before his career is done. Just a feeling. We will see what happens. Doesnt happen often, but Willy does love Chicago

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
Even if Willy wanted to come back, I would say no. Cubs need to get younger and keep their payroll flexibility. Last thing they need is another Heyward situation. He was only 26 when the Cubs signed him and in 7 years he has posted a 700 OPS. Brutal.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
Even if Willy wanted to come back, I would say no. Cubs need to get younger and keep their payroll flexibility. Last thing they need is another Heyward situation. He was only 26 when the Cubs signed him and in 7 years he has posted a 700 OPS. Brutal.
Probably true. But I trust Contreras to maintain performance more than I did baez, rizzo, or Bryant.

Bronek

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Georgia Bulldogs
K so let’s say they keep Contreras and Happ…

Contreras is 30 and Happ is 28. Cubs currently have the 5th worst record in baseball WITH those two guys.

When do you think the cubs are actually ready to compete again? 2-3 years?

So you’re counting on a catcher who will be 32-33 years old by the time the cubs are ready to seriously contend again(at the earliest).

And then a 30-31 year old Happ, who is having a great year, and maybe has figured things out finally, but is it worth the risk of hanging onto him and hoping he gives you a few more years of this level of play? Or is it smarter to go ahead and cash his value in while it’s at an all time high?

There is NO reason the cubs should keep either when they both can yield the return that they can now

And that’s not even factoring in Free Agency issues and risks of losing these guys for nothing in the offseason

I haven't look at it that way. You have a valid point. Agree.