Wilson or Luck?

JDB_219

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Who would you rather have right now and going forward?
I know there was a big discussion a few years back but there is a lot of new data.

I said Wilson back then because he had proved it in the playoffs. Now he has also shown a better ability to stay on the field. Through four seasons Wilson looks Canton bound.

Who you got?

Urblock

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Luck to hit glass legs streaking down the field for a TD.

Chinese

Liked Posts:
Wilson.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JDB_219

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Wilson and it's not even close.

On the field you are right. It's hard not to be swayed by Luck's tools. NFL types love guys that check all the measurable boxes but I can't deny what I see on the field.

airtime143

This place is dead and buried.
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Who would you rather have right now and going forward?
I know there was a big discussion a few years back but there is a lot of new data.

I said Wilson back then because he had proved it in the playoffs. Now he has also shown a better ability to stay on the field. Through four seasons Wilson looks Canton bound.

Who you got?

What a crazily tough call. Wilson has the better resume for sure. In all aspects. The clear correct answer at this moment has got to be Wilson.

However, If the roles were reversed it may be the other way around.

Wilson has had the advantage of the #1 defense in points allowed for his entire career. He can throw the ball away or tuck and run and punt away without worry.

I honestly would go with luck though- I believe wilson will never be better than he is right now with his speed being dangerous and being completely healthy.
Luck on the other hand is taller, Heavier, and has a better arm. I would hope he cuts the turnovers and go with him.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
What a crazily tough call. Wilson has the better resume for sure. In all aspects. The clear correct answer at this moment has got to be Wilson.

Wilson has had the advantage of the #1 defense in points allowed for his entire career. He can throw the ball away or tuck and run and punt away without worry.

I honestly would go with luck though- I believe wilson will never be better than he is right now with his speed being dangerous and being completely healthy.
Luck on the other hand is taller, Heavier, and has a better arm. I would hope he cuts the turnovers and go with him.
That's a shame. He'll "only" be the type QB who wins games, exceeds 100 in QB rating and has a 3:1 TD to int ratio? I'm thinking 32 of 32 NFL teams could live with a QB like that.

BNB

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Oakland Raiders
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
As of now, clearly Wilson.

Career TD %
Wilson: 6.1 % which ranks 9th all-time.
Luck: 4.8% which ranks 53rd all-time

Career Interception%
Wilson: 2% which ranks 3rd all-time
Luck: 2.6% which ranks 20th all-time

Average yards per attempt
Wilson: 8.6 which ranks 4th all-time
Luck: 7.0 which ranks 79th all-time

QB Rating
Wilson: 101.8 which is 2nd all-time
Luck: 85 which ranks 29th all-time.

Wilson is generally consistent throughout games whereas Luck is kind of known for playing like shit for the first 2-3 quarters and putting him team in a hole, then digging them out in the 4th quarter.

Things could change, but I'll take Wilson now.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I'd still go wit Wilson on the Colts. Luck for all his talent still makes dreadfully awful decisions at times hence why his INTS have always been high. And Wilson on the Colts would have TY Hilton to throw to and Wilson has never really had a top flight weapon lime that.

JDB_219

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If the two QB's switches teams...would you prefer

Wilson and the Indianapolis Colts

or

Luck and the Seattle Seahawks

I know this question will rile some of you up but I'm actually curious if that would change the minds of some of the people who have chosen one way or the other so far.

I would still go Wilson on the Colts. Over the four years, Wilson has outdone him by every kind of passing stat from QBR to DVOA to Passer Rating.I don't think anyone would say that the colts receivers are any worse than the Seattle guys. I am actually surprised at how much better his stats are. More and more I am growing convinced that Wilson is the new Tom Brady where the perception hasn't caught up to the performance yet.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/14881/russell-wilson
http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/14874/andrew-luck

I'd still go wit Wilson on the Colts. Luck for all his talent still makes dreadfully awful decisions at times hence why his INTS have always been high. And Wilson on the Colts would have TY Hilton to throw to and Wilson has never really had a top flight weapon lime that.

To be fair to the Seattle guys, I think Golden Tate and Baldwin have been pretty good, maybe not as good as Hilton but good.

EDIT: As an aside, Seattle is another good example of a good QB papering over weird roster choices. They let Tate walk in his prime, they traded for Jimmy Graham with little return and of course the Harvin trade (although Percy did pay out in the SB.) If they were starting the bums they had before Russ, Seattle would be St Louis/LA

Last edited:

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:

Luck has one of the worst OL's in the NFL because their horrendous GM hasn't addressed that need.

Wilson is a good fit with Seattle. It seems like the team has been built around him to some extent. I would take Luck on the Bears.

airtime143

CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
That's a shame. He'll "only" be the type QB who wins games, exceeds 100 in QB rating and has a 3:1 TD to int ratio? I'm thinking 32 of 32 NFL teams could live with a QB like that.

The guy is top notch right now for sure. absolutely top notch.
I would be slightly concerned with his overall size long term though. He is a tough runner that might very well get his ass knocked out a few times and lose that ability, then get stuck with a guy that is short and has a lower than average delivery.

I cant argue that Wilson isnt better than luck at this moment.

airtime143

CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I appreciate the honesty and well thought out answers. Before the 2015 season I would have gone with Luck without question. Now that is not the case. My problem with Wilson is if he takes any kind of leg injury, his strongest attribute of being able to stretch plays out with his mobility could severely hinder his production. It's crazy how fast the NFL changes though. A year ago this question would have garnered much different results. Heck wasn't Wilson at 11 TD and 9 INT half way through this season or something similar to that before going lights out the rest of the season? I am very interested in watching his development over the next few years.

That is why I started to have creeping doubts about him. When seattle wasnt firing on all cylinders, he struggled badly.

Being on a rock solid team really is a big deal as well- the numbers are kind of enlightening in that context.

Luck has 55 games under his belt. Wilson has 64.
Luck has thrown the ball 1115 times when his team is behind.
Wilson has thrown it 637 times when his team is behind.

Luck has never had better than the 20th ranked run game, Wilson has never had less than the 4th ranked run game.

Wilson had the luxury of defenses ranked 1, 1, 1, and 1.
Luck had 21, 9, 19, and 25.

I am not making excuses for luck, but rather pointing out that Wilson is in the absolute best possible situation any QB could be in. Were the situations reversed, Luck may be better than Wilson at this point.

No matter- Seattle cannot keep that elite talent together for too long before it becomes too expensive. I will be very curious to see if Wilson comes back down to earth as a result.

JDB_219

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
That is why I started to have creeping doubts about him. When seattle wasnt firing on all cylinders, he struggled badly.

Being on a rock solid team really is a big deal as well- the numbers are kind of enlightening in that context.

Luck has 55 games under his belt. Wilson has 64.
Luck has thrown the ball 1115 times when his team is behind.
Wilson has thrown it 637 times when his team is behind.

Luck has never had better than the 20th ranked run game, Wilson has never had less than the 4th ranked run game.

Wilson had the luxury of defenses ranked 1, 1, 1, and 1.
Luck had 21, 9, 19, and 25.

I am not making excuses for luck, but rather pointing out that Wilson is in the absolute best possible situation any QB could be in. Were the situations reversed, Luck may be better than Wilson at this point.

No matter- Seattle cannot keep that elite talent together for too long before it becomes too expensive. I will be very curious to see if Wilson comes back down to earth as a result.

I have no idea what other changes hit in Seattle but I do know that the O went from 22 to 4 in DVOA in 2012 and from 14 to 1 in rushing DVOA and from 21 to 4 for passing.Seattle had been no worse than 7 in offensive DVOA with Russell Wilson as their guy. Indianapolis improved from 27-18 and has peaked at 13. Even if you go by simpler, counting stats, Indy had only outscored Seattle in one of the four years.

I'm honestly surprised that the stats are so tilted towards Wilson. I didn't really look into them until this thread.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini

Wilson has had the advantage of the #1 defense in points allowed for his entire career.

Not this year and Wilson had his best yr. passing....without a running game.

I honestly would go with luck though- I believe wilson will never be better than he is right now with his speed being dangerous and being completely healthy. Luck on the other hand is taller, Heavier, and has a better arm.

Take a look at RW's passing #'s over the years. Look at his passing #'s this year. Keep this in mind....RW does not have any really good wr's ( never has). I'll say it...RW has garbage at wr. However, he makes those guys look better than what they are

"Luck on the other hand is taller, Heavier, and has a better arm."

But Luck is the one who got injured. Better Arm....I think they're about equal. However, RW tends to make smarter decisions with the football.

With all this said ......I like Luck and would take him over jay in less than a heartbeat

JDB_219

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Baldwin looks pretty solid, not great but solid.