With the First overall pick the Chicago Bears...(First pick discussion only)

Zvbxrpl

Liked Posts:
I called this before the season started. Worst roster in football. Most of y'all laughed.

Having the most cap space AND the #1 pick with the quarterback already in place? You literally could not ask for a better scenario.

@Visionman

But in answer to the thread, trade it for a king's ransom.

r1terrell23

Liked Posts:
This.

That move is worth their 2nd round pick this year. So we take that. And then trade again in the 4-6 range and get an additional 1st and a 2nd. And then hopefully draft one of Anderson/Carter. Or trade farther back and get more picks, and take Skoronski.
If Houston wants the pick, we need 2 and 12. We can throw our late second at them. Otherwise, they can get bent and watch the Colts take Young and torment them for years. There is a big difference between Young and Stroud.

r1terrell23

Liked Posts:
Do teams really think Bryce Young is a sure thing or so much better than Stroud that they would give up a lot to take him over Stroud?

He has been very very good and has skills, but he also lacks the size NFL teams would prefer. He is likely to go #1 but I am not sure Houston trades to move up.

I actually will not be surprised if the QBs don't go Young, Stroud 1 and 2. I have seen some who think Levis goes #1 after the combine and workouts.

I would love for the Texans to covet Young (or any one specific QB) so much they trade to #1. It is certainly a possibility. But not a sure thing by any means.

Any way you slice it, I love the Bears' position right now!
Most think Young is about 3 steps ahead of Stroud.

E.F.Hutton

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
I like Mills as a back-up QB. In fact, I like him even more as a starting QB! He's a Stanford grad so he's got

smarts in abundance. There was a question about his arm strength but that can be remedied.

But for a 1st or 2nd? No way, Jose!
ya, it was a joke. Sounded like the most moron thing the Bears could do.

Seriously, the Bears need to trade down; just not too far. There are so many holes on this team it's easier to list the areas that don't need an upgrade (quarterback). And even with 100+ million and the first pick there will still be holes next year. If they keep running Justin like they have been they will need a quarterback in three or four years.

Forty-six

Liked Posts:
What we need is for Young and Stroud to absolutely crush their pro day and/or the combine. I'm not sure either of these guys are valued as highly as a typical number 1 pick. Bears can certainly get picks by trading back but maybe not as much as most of us hope.

Nonetheless, exciting times are ahead!

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
There are enough legit first round QBs that the Bears can trade down but it may not be the haul that some expect. I don't think teams value Young as a can't miss prospect.

Draft picks have values that are fairly set in stone. From there they go UP depending on the desire of the other team to move up and competition. It is not "the haul some expect", it is the haul that a #1 pick traded down to any other pick is worth!
How could you watch football this long and not catch on to this? All the trades you've freaked out about being so expensive were the price it costs.

I think every highly projected QB has teams looking at them as can't miss. We didn't move up 1 position to take Trubisky because we thought he might work out. We were so sure that he would work out that we knew other teams were wanting to steal him away.

Let's say I'm Poles with #1 and you want the highest projected QB. Are you so sure that the year I got the #1 pick I'm sold on the QB the last GM drafted at #11 when I'm looking at the highest projected QB for free?
You want to not only call my bluff but the bluff of 30 other teams who might be calling?
There will be offers . If we don't take one or more of them it will be because Poles gave Mack away because he was Pace's trade and not Poles', it had nothing to do with the contract.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Jebus help me.
#1 to #2 gets you a 2nd round pick.
#2 to #4 gets you TWO 2nd round picks.
So, we move back twice, get three extra 2nd round picks, and also Carter or Anderson. Works for me.

Reactions: Myk

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
So, we move back twice, get three extra 2nd round picks, and also Carter or Anderson. Works for me.

I'm not entirely sold on the need for Carter/Anderson (why did we get rid of a sure thing in Mack only to hope to get another?) but something like that. I'd want to move out of the top ten for the haul of picks.

3 #16s = #1 without any sweetening of the deal (only given for an easy math example). Considering the value gets cut in half for future picks it wouldn't get paid off with just future picks. If we get the right team wanting to move up we could take their whole '23 draft plus some in the future.

If Poles doesn't get some kind of a haul out of this (or the #1 QB) he'll be a failure.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
We had top three pick and took a nobody from UNC ten teams didn't do that. And we gave up a number one following year to pull off that great pick. Point is use brain do better. We don't need a DE and POs here we come. We need about seven to eight solid players to come out of this in draft and FA then I see us contending. I'm bears thru and thru but defense first hasn't helped us in say oh I don't know the past thirty years let's try having a all pro Offense this time. There are plenty of FA and late round bodies.
Bears didn’t give up a future 1st to get Trubisky

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
That chart means nothing if multiple teams are trying to move up to that pick.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
That chart means nothing if multiple teams are trying to move up to that pick.

It means the base price and from there it goes up. No team should be taking less for trades than the charts show just because some fans think they're Chicken Little.
Like we have to move off the #1 just because someone wants to trade but doesn't want to pay what it's worth so we won't get the haul some hope for :ROFLMAO:

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
I think the more people sit on it and the further we get away from the season, more and more people will come around to the idea of drafting Bryce Young and trading away Fields. Right now, there's alot of recency bias and personal connection with Fields. Afterall, there were points in the season where the offense looked like a well oiled machine.

Thats not to say, I dont want to keep or support Fields, as I think he is a good player with plenty of upside. But also I think Bryce Young is a great prospect and think the staff may be motivated to start fresh. The truth is that we will soon have a new team president in place very soon and the organization may want a complete new start and moving on from Fields. Yet If they stick with Fields and this offseason doesn't go as well as hoped considering the resources the team has, a new president might just start fresh himself and fire the whole staff. In some ways, a Bryce Young may buy the current staff time and gives them room for error.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Liked Posts:
Seems to me Poles has to decide what's more important:

1. trading down a couple of spots and getting Carter/Anderson and additional 2nd and 3rd.

2. Or trading down to the middle of the pack like the Commanders and getting a 2024 1st and a few other picks.

This is just a preliminary thought. I may sit down and give a FULL BLACKRAINBOW draft report later.

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I think the more people sit on it and the further we get away from the season, more and more people will come around to the idea of drafting Bryce Young and trading away Fields. Right now, there's alot of recency bias and personal connection with Fields. Afterall, there were points in the season where the offense looked like a well oiled machine.

Thats not to say, I dont want to keep or support Fields, as I think he is a good player with plenty of upside. But also I think Bryce Young is a great prospect and think the staff may be motivated to start fresh. The truth is that we will soon have a new team president in place very soon and the organization may want a complete new start and moving on from Fields. Yet If they stick with Fields and this offseason doesn't go as well as hoped considering the resources the team has, a new president might just start fresh himself and fire the whole staff. In some ways, a Bryce Young may buy the current staff time and gives them room for error.
epic-facepalm.gif

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
If Bears pass on the top QBs and one of them turn out to be top 5 in the league, it will not look good for the staff to the new president. Especially if Fields doesn't take a step up in the passing game next year. And I don't think that is a given. I'm not cheering for that to be the case, but a possibility.

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
If Bears pass on the top QBs and one of them turn out to be top 5 in the league, it will not look good for the staff to the new president. Especially if Fields doesn't take a step up in the passing game next year. And I don't think that is a given. I'm not cheering for that to be the case, but a possibility.
Great, we went from Fields isn't Poles guy to Poles isn't (insert next President's) guy. Stop this lazy shit.