With the First overall pick the Chicago Bears...(First pick discussion only)

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
Great, we went from Fields isn't Poles guy to Poles isn't (insert next President's) guy. Stop this lazy shit.
"Lazy Shit?" Its how the league operates. I didn't like it that the Bears cleaned house and got rid of a majority of Pace's carryovers. But it's what happens. What makes Fields different if Poles is on the fence with him? I like Fields, but he isn't exempt...At least there us no way of knowing with how the staff approached this season. The staff doesn't have to be loyal.

Same thing with a new president. Why should they be loyal to the current coaching staff? They didn't hire them. It's what happens. Everyone is on a short leash. I don't create the rules, but thats how it is.

Reactions: Myk

westcoast bear fanatic

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
"Lazy Shit?" Its how the league operates. I didn't like it that the Bears cleaned house and got rid of a majority of Pace's carryovers. But it's what happens. What makes Fields different if Poles is on the fence with him? I like Fields, but he isn't exempt...At least there us no way of knowing with how the staff approached this season. The staff doesn't have to be loyal.

Same thing with a new president. Why should they be loyal to the current coaching staff? They didn't hire them. It's what happens. Everyone is on a short leash. I don't create the rules, but thats how it is.
If you were paying attention last offseason the President in this organization is a suit. Poles was given full football autonomy and answers only to George. Poles told them how bad the roster and capital of the team was and would need to tear it down in order to rebuild it. The teardown has happened, now George will be hands off and let Poles build it up in his vision. No new team President is going to get in the way.

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:

Maybe try learning how the Bears operate. For over a year its been reported that Ted was retiring as soon as this season. Everyone knows how much George hates going through these hiring processes. There is zero chance he went through all of this trouble the past year of hiring a GM, letting them tear a roster down to the studs, letting them fire one of his guys in Soup Campbell, build analytic departments, etc etc etc only to potentially allow a new president to clean house. And also the obvious fact that we have zero idea if the President will be involved in the football side of things, especially when you've got a stadium to build in Arlington Heights.

George is still here. George is the guy. This is not happening.

JesusHalasChrist

N.eg it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
Donator
Liked Posts:

The team president is on the business side, not the football side. It isn't his decision to make.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
I think the more people sit on it and the further we get away from the season, more and more people will come around to the idea of drafting Bryce Young and trading away Fields. Right now, there's alot of recency bias and personal connection with Fields. Afterall, there were points in the season where the offense looked like a well oiled machine.

Thats not to say, I dont want to keep or support Fields, as I think he is a good player with plenty of upside. But also I think Bryce Young is a great prospect and think the staff may be motivated to start fresh. The truth is that we will soon have a new team president in place very soon and the organization may want a complete new start and moving on from Fields. Yet If they stick with Fields and this offseason doesn't go as well as hoped considering the resources the team has, a new president might just start fresh himself and fire the whole staff. In some ways, a Bryce Young may buy the current staff time and gives them room for error.

If Poles isn't sold on Fields, even if it's the pettiness that is why he got rid of Mack if he turns right around to get Carter/Anderson with a high pick I'd be OK with the #1 going for a QB. It's how it's done.

The problem with getting the #1 QB is that still leaves us with many holes to help the QB and few patches so I absolutely would rather see a good trade down to fix both sides of the ball.
For those saying to use the #1 on the defensive star they want. Just no. Although that is also how it's done, but only on the Bears.

NorcalBear

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Has this been posted yet? Man.. I would be ECSTATIC

2023 NFL Mock Draft: Eisner 2.0​

Colts@2x.png

1. Indianapolis Colts (via CHI)*​

Will Levis

QB, Kentucky​

TRADE:
IND receives: 2023 1st-round pick (No. 1 overall)
CHI receives: 2023 1st-round pick (No. 4 overall), 2023 2nd-round pick (No. 36 overall), 2023 4th-round pick (No. 106 overall), 2024 1st-round pick, 2024 2nd-round pick

Chris Ballard may survive this offseason, but we won’t be so lucky a year from now if the quarterback position is still in flux. At some point, he’s going to have to take a swing on a young passer or be out of a job—and I believe Ballard knows this. Which GM will mortgage the future in hopes of finding a franchise QB? How about one that won’t be around to use those future picks if he’s wrong? I expect Jim Irsay to have a heavy say in which QB gets drafted, and I can see him falling in love with Will Levis’ size and traits—expect a lot of buzz in the pre-draft cycle. If Levis reaches his full potential, he can help the Colts return to the playoffs. I just can’t get the idea of Irsay loving Levis and demanding he becomes a Colt out of my mind.

This is a great return for the Bears to move down and continue building around Justin Fields and the young pieces on defense.

NorcalBear

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels

4. Carolina Panthers (via CHI)*​

C.J. Stroud

QB, Ohio State​

TRADE:
CAR receives: 2023 1st-round pick (No. 4 overall)
CHI receives: 2023 1st-round pick (No. 9 overall), 2023 2nd-round pick (No. 40 overall)

Dave Tepper and the Panthers seem like they’re going to be aggressive this offseason. I bet he does whatever it takes to land one of the top young QBs. In this NFL mock draft, they make a trade-back with the Bears, who need to add as many picks and talented players as possible. Carolina has a playoff-ready defense and some offensive cornerstones in D.J. Moore and Ikem Ekwonu. C.J. Stroud lost some of his pre-draft hype before gaining it all back in the Peach Bowl. Even before that, his build and upside still warrant him being a first-round selection. The Bears get to move down again, pick up another top-40 pick, and will still have some quality edge rushers to choose from.

9. Chicago Bears (via CAR)*​

Myles Murphy

EDGE, Clemson​

TRADE:
CHI receives: 2023 1st-round pick (No. 9 overall), 2023 2nd-round pick (No. 36 overall), 2023 2nd-round pick (No. 40 overall), 2023 4th-round pick (No. 106overall), 2024 1st-round pick, 2024 2nd-round pick
CAR receives: 2023 1st-round pick (No. 4 overall)
IND receives: 2023 1st-round pick (No. 1 overall)

The Bears have a lot of options at this point in the NFL mock draft. They could take the WR1 on their board (Quentin Johnston/Jordan Addison), they could take one of the remaining offensive linemen (Paris Johnson Jr./Peter Skoronski) to help protect Justin Fields, or they can take the last tier-one edge rusher in Myles Murphy. While new-ish GM Ryan Poles is an offensive lineman by trade, he’s valued young, star defenders above everything else so far. Maybe that trend changes, but with a tier drop at the position coming, Murphy is the pick.

RacerX

Silicon Valley CA Bears H
Liked Posts:

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:

Nice breakdown of what the Bears should expect in a trade down. The article also uses past trade comparisons.

People threw a fit when I said if people tried to low ball me out of the pick I'd take a QB just to spite them. I don't know how Poles is thinking but Bears really shouldn't be in the position for any team wanting a QB to think we won't be one of the teams they have to bid against to make it worthwhile.
Even if Fields is a legit QB, if one of the ones in the draft is an upgrade it's a worthy use of the #1. Being able to trade Fields at our leisure only makes it a better idea, as cheap to pay as some of the backups we've had and better. We could sit on him just like we can sit on the #1, make an offer we can't refuse.

BearClaw55

SELL THE TEAM
Donator
Liked Posts:
Meh, it’s a dynamic market and the return is dictated and driven by demand, and not by past consideration or precedent.

That works out even better for the Bears because the demand for QBs has gone up & the Goff trade was one the comparisons. The top QBs in this draft are better then Goff was coming out.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I’d trade it to the Texans for both their firsts. Or at least #2 and #33. Then I’d trade 2 to the highest bidder. Assuming they have buyers.
That's too much value for the Texans to give, especially considering there's 2 top prospects and they need picks almost as much as we do. More like their 1, a 3 and a couple 4s like we did for Mitch but I doubt they do it.

Not written in stone but:
draft chart.png

Last edited:

Dragon Slayer

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Trade with Colts for #5, #36, 2024 1st and 2nd. Then trade with Carolina if Levis is still on the board for #9, #40 (or wherever they are in rd 2) and 2024 1st round. Maybe you can get a few more picks out of each of those trade downs. But we'd have 4 top 60 picks this year (3 top 40) and likely 5 top 60 next year including 3 1st rounders.
I would have renewed faith in Poles if he could pull this off, but I think the double trade down is a bit pie in the sky type stuff.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Draft picks have values that are fairly set in stone. From there they go UP depending on the desire of the other team to move up and competition. It is not "the haul some expect", it is the haul that a #1 pick traded down to any other pick is worth!
How could you watch football this long and not catch on to this? All the trades you've freaked out about being so expensive were the price it costs.

I think every highly projected QB has teams looking at them as can't miss. We didn't move up 1 position to take Trubisky because we thought he might work out. We were so sure that he would work out that we knew other teams were wanting to steal him away.

Let's say I'm Poles with #1 and you want the highest projected QB. Are you so sure that the year I got the #1 pick I'm sold on the QB the last GM drafted at #11 when I'm looking at the highest projected QB for free?
You want to not only call my bluff but the bluff of 30 other teams who might be calling?
There will be offers . If we don't take one or more of them it will be because Poles gave Mack away because he was Pace's trade and not Poles', it had nothing to do with the contract.

Wut?