World Cup Thread

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I disagree with exclusion of Tillman, Pepe, Busio who I think will all make the team in four years.

Things are shaping up well…looking like

A.Robinson-Ream-Zimmerman-Dest
Musah-Adams-McKinnie
Pulisic Weah
Haji Wright

Reyna/Aaronson/Ferreira/Morrisattacking options off the bench
Long/Acosta defensive options off the bench.

Obviously Reyna is important but I think you don’t ask too much, let him come in fresh at 60-65 minutes. Aaronson is the secret weapon and may start at least one game, allowing for Pulisic off the bench where his speed becomes fantastic.

Acosta to start for defensive impact and bring attacking later an option. He can really block shots.

If you want to limit Reyna, Haji Wright is in as good of form as anyone on the roster.

Last edited:

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Fuck Qatar in particular

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Fuck Qatar in particular
Don’t worry, they are probably about as good as USMNT level but their group will fuck them plenty.

Funny they lined up a game 1 to this tourney that has a high probability of going 0-0

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I absolutely love Timothy Weah and think he created total havoc and box chaos, runs well off ball, and while it hasn’t translated to goals it translated to goals for others and his moment is coming.

I hope they don’t box him out of this cup like they did to Wondolowski who was our best off-ball run maker.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Under a week to go!

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
That was awesome.

My man Timothy Weah (son of a World Footballer of the Year), got one chance and finished it like he expected it to go in. As long as he chases the dream of a golden boot I’ll believe in this team. Also created some havoc as I advertised.

Aaronson looked good off the bench. Game script boxed out Reyna but he’ll have his chance.

Haji Wright and Sargent look like they can at least belong as possession holders with ability to finish up top. It would probably be better were that a well conditioned Altidore but his time is obviously over too early.

The only players I don’t consider world class were Sargent and Zimmerman, and that unfortunately flared into our eye whole by the end.

John Brooks abandoned us and that should have been him guarding Bale in the box.

Our speed stood out to the eye. Our skill was enough to possess against a European power. Our team defended together and stripped away many possessions before opportunities formed.

The result was only disappointing because we had a bird in hand for 50 minutes and multiple chances to get a second goal.

But remember this is Wales golden generation at a ripe old age in their only qualification as Europe is a nightmare to get out of. Italy might be the best team in the world right now and they aren’t even here because of teams like Wales.

Until the USA goal I felt like they were rocking us to sleep despite the announcers gushing over us and Alexi Lalas brash sentiments. That was a crafty old team playing the situation and letting the kids do all the work, run out their energy and we would have seen them switch to a fwd press in the final third of game anyway. Lucky we had the goal to withstand the pressure and unfortunate we couldn’t create higher leverage counter chances with them forced to engage forward out of comfort zone.

It was an entertaining game and well played by both sides. Our kids were over eager and picked up some stupid yellows early. They were pointless and late dirty hacks. Wales on the other hand chose to spend all their fouls frustrating Pulisic.

To stop that Pulisic will have to stop letting it frustrate him and make sure he gets in high leverage situations and areas before allowing it. Others must continue to step up so he isn’t a lone target getting the Maradona/Jordan/Shaq treatment.

Now we face an England juggernaut who routinely smashed people 6-0 in qualification and bashed Iran. Then a team that politically hates us playing for pride. It’s gonna be a rough group affair as I predicted. Scoring the most goals against Iran may well decide things with Wales, and I think neither team will find that easy to accomplish at all despite what England did. In fact Iran is still very much alive and can play with their final two opponents.

We are the speed team. Wales is the bulky muscle. And Iran a skilled all around balanced team.

May the best team emerge and go on to represent. Go USA!

As a Scottish/Welsh blooded American and and Garreth Bale fan I did greatly enjoy that game.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Second half US was too conservative.

Friday becomes HUGE. Could use Iran to W or Draw against Wales.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Almost threw up 10 times in the final 9 minutes of stoppage.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Musah will be fine eventually. Just turned 20. Lots of promise in his game.

I'm glad they got out the group. Big Stepping Stone. Now go win on Saturday.