Worst Bears FA Signing Ever?

Bear_Assed

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Brad Biggs was on the score this morning and said the Quinn $30 Mil guaranteed is the worst free agent signing for the Bears since he started covering the team

I honestly can’t think of any other signing with similar or more money and less productivity. I think Biggs may be right

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
Quinn was a bad signing, but at least he is starting. The ginger giraffe only started 4 games and spent the rest of the time on the bench, but his contract was manageable.

Zvbxrpl

Liked Posts:
Jared Allen's wasn't as bad guaranteed money wise but he's up there.

Cody Parkey made a lot for a kicker.

All of the other "misses" weren't that much. Moose got a lot of money to be a 'blocking WR.' Orlando Pace got 5 mil a year and only lasted 11 games before he got hurt then retired. Glennon is obvious.

Thomas Smith in the early 2000s was an ugly one, but he wasn't bad (think his deal was 4-5 years, 22 mil--not much by 2020 standards but in 2000 that was a chunk of change).

Need coffee to kick in before I can think of others. Ray McDonald wasn't bad money wise, but was bad in the sense that he 'promised George he had changed' causing George to believe him and give us that inspiring introduction presser before the 2nd wave of wife-beating/child endangerment allegations came through like a month and a half later.

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Quinn is up there. I believe he has one sack so far. We also signed jared allens corpse at one point, we signed frank omiyale and orlabo pa e to protect a former pro bowl QB but Glennon was by far my favorite awful signing

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Jared Allen's wasn't as bad guaranteed money wise but he's up there.

Cody Parkey made a lot for a kicker.

All of the other "misses" weren't that much. Moose got a lot of money to be a 'blocking WR.' Orlando Pace got 5 mil a year and only lasted 11 games before he got hurt then retired. Glennon is obvious.

Thomas Smith in the early 2000s was an ugly one, but he wasn't bad (think his deal was 4-5 years, 22 mil--not much by 2020 standards but in 2000 that was a chunk of change).

Need coffee to kick in before I can think of others. Ray McDonald wasn't bad money wise, but was bad in the sense that he 'promised George he had changed' causing George to believe him and give us that inspiring introduction presser before the 2nd wave of wife-beating/child endangerment allegations came through like a month and a half later.

Cody had a game for the ages again last night. I wonder if he has a job next week. His 4 points of bad misses cost them the game.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Quinn is awful. The structure of his deal makes it look even worse.

Glennon was 18 million flushed down the toilet.

Foles is 21 million for a guy who is significantly worse than Mitch.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
You really don’t think there are worse? Just from a qb perspective we’ve done worse.

What free agent QB signing has been worse than a $70 million contract for a player who has zero impact?

twetz

Liked Posts:
Unfortunately, there is a pretty large group to select from. I'd probably use my vote on the QB position. So, Foles or Glennon? Foles has money and a draft pick and came from a GM who now is supposed to be experienced. Glennon, kicked to the curb in favor of Winston, and Pace was a new inexperienced GM who then spent draft capital on the highest pick the Bears have seen in forever. I don't know, taste great, less filling, I feel strongly both ways.

When a player like Quinn plays so far below an expected level, I would tend to guess the rumors on nerve damage/drop foot have some merit. I'm not sure I've seen a more embarrassing play this season when Quinn gets pushed down like a bully on a nerd at a middle school playground.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
Quinn is awful. The structure of his deal makes it look even worse.

Glennon was 18 million flushed down the toilet.

Foles is 21 million for a guy who is significantly worse than Mitch.

Foles wasn't a free agent signing, and the Glennon contract had no teeth and didn't cash-strap them in any way. It wasn't a good signing, but it didn't negatively impact their ability to do anything.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Foles wasn't a free agent signing, and the Glennon contract had no teeth and didn't cash-strap them in any way. It wasn't a good signing, but it didn't negatively impact their ability to do anything.

That 18 million could have been spent on a good player, it could have been rolled forward into these years where we are cash strapped.

It was a total waste.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Pace has had some doozies. Quinn is probably the worst from a money perspective but Burton, glennon, dion sims, wheaton, parkey, rolle all come to mind as well

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:
Pace for Prez!!! “We will pay you, even if you suck”

wonky73

Las Vegas Sorts News
Liked Posts:
I remember Adam Archuleta being really bad but I don't remember how much he was paid

Montucky

Liked Posts:
Quinn is up there. I believe he has one sack so far. We also signed jared allens corpse at one point, we signed frank omiyale and orlabo pa e to protect a former pro bowl QB but Glennon was by far my favorite awful signing
The Glennon signing was a no-risk lottery ticket and exactly the type of free agent signing teams with money to burn should be making. Just because it didn't work doesn't mean it wasn't a sound strategy.