Worst Free Agent class in recent history?

Bear_Assed

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Brad Biggs was on the score today and said the talk around the combine is that this upcoming free agent class is “historically bad”. I tend to agree.

For those saying the Bears could be a playoff team next season, who do you expect the bears to pick up that will triple their win total from last year?

Also, if the Bears suck again next year because of lack of talent, are you blaming Poles? Or are you going to say “who did you want poles to get in FA that would have helped stack wins” (aka nothing Poles could have done)?

Montucky

Liked Posts:
Great. If you want to improve your team you either have to do it via the trade market or the draft.

The Bears can meet the floor and go into next year with a great cap situation and its fine. What matters much more is the value they can get in their trade down(s), and for that anything that strengthens the value of the draft relative to free agency is a boon to the Bears.

Dragon Slayer

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Over paying for Free agents isn't really a good way to build a team anyways and not the way Poles has said he wants to build the roster anyways...so who cares?

I also think there are going to be some cap casualties this year that Poles can explore who aren't currently FAs right now.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
Brad Biggs was on the score today and said the talk around the combine is that this upcoming free agent class is “historically bad”. I tend to agree.

For those saying the Bears could be a playoff team next season, who do you expect the bears to pick up that will triple their win total from last year?

Also, if the Bears suck again next year because of lack of talent, are you blaming Poles? Or are you going to say “who did you want poles to get in FA that would have helped stack wins” (aka nothing Poles could have done)?
I'm just excited for another year of you crying. Is that in the script @zabavka ?

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
The cup is half full:

While this FA class, in terms of talent, may be lacking in superstars, perhaps this FA class in terms of contract value is one of the best.

Bear_Assed

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Over paying for Free agents isn't really a good way to build a team anyways and not the way Poles has said he wants to build the roster anyways...so who cares?

I also think there are going to be some cap casualties this year that Poles can explore who aren't currently FAs right now.
I agree. Which is why it’s going to take multiple years before this team is ready to compete for the playoffs.

Having 98 mil in cap space in a historically bad free agency is not going to be much help

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Great. If you want to improve your team you either have to do it via the trade market or the draft.

The Bears can meet the floor and go into next year with a great cap situation and its fine. What matters much more is the value they can get in their trade down(s), and for that anything that strengthens the value of the draft relative to free agency is a boon to the Bears.
Well said. Don’t mind the rebuild being done the right way. No more band-aids and excessive contracts.

bamainatlanta

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I agree. Which is why it’s going to take multiple years before this team is ready to compete for the playoffs.

Having 98 mil in cap space in a historically bad free agency is not going to be much help
It’ll be just fine cupcake. The sky isn’t falling.

Bear_Assed

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It’ll be just fine cupcake. The sky isn’t falling.
No one said it is. But thanks for your quality contribution. I’m looking fwd to seeing some new players on this team this season and hopefully a playoff-ready team in 2024.

I feel bad for the people expecting playoffs this year.

Bear_Assed

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Agree! As long as you aren’t bitching when this team has only a few more wins this coming season.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
Agree! As long as you aren’t bitching when this team has only a few more wins this coming season.
I don't believe in the quarterback at all and I'm not sold on the coach either. Suffice to say I won't be disappointed or shocked by a season much like this past one.

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
Its not great and Poles has to be careful not to overspend on mediocre players. But, yes the FA class is underwhelming and Its one reason I was against trading Roquan. Sure, we have the money now, but Roquan would have been one, if not the best defensive FA available.

bamainatlanta

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
No one said it is. But thanks for your quality contribution. I’m looking fwd to seeing some new players on this team this season and hopefully a playoff-ready team in 2024.

I feel bad for the people expecting playoffs this year.
The direct correlation between free agency and the playoffs is 100% guaranteed amirite?

Again, not worried about it.

Noonthirtyjoe

Liked Posts:
No big stars or guys to build around. But we can fill many holes with upgrades and draft well.

Give me a pass rush and a better Oline and YES I DO think playoffs are possible. The staff and Fields will be on the same page from game 1 this year. The D is a pass rush away from being good.