Worst Heisman winners...............

inchibearfan

Liked Posts:
As of recently, how many of the past Heisman winners would you hav drafted in the top 10?

Major Ursa

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Vegas Golden Knights
  1. Utah State Aggies
As of recently, how many of the past Heisman winners would you hav drafted in the top 10?

Winston, Griffin, Newton, Bush, and Bradford all earned warranted top 10 draft status IMO.

number51

Señor Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
The Worst Heisman Winners to Ever Play in the NFL is the title of the article.

Very different than "Worst Heisman winners"

Thread title sounds like the most undeserving Heisman winners. That would be a completely different list than Heisman winners that turned out to be NFL busts.

Major Ursa

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Vegas Golden Knights
  1. Utah State Aggies

Thread title sounds like the most undeserving Heisman winners. That would be a completely different list than Heisman winners that turned out to be NFL busts.

Fixed for you

inchibearfan

Liked Posts:
Winston, Griffin, Newton, Bush, and Bradford all earned warranted top 10 draft status IMO.

I don't think any of those players going back now are top-10 picks. My question was based on your knowledge of how good they are in the NFL, which ones would you pick top 10 now?

Bort

Liked Posts:

Heisman voting has changed. It used to be a mix of positions, mostly QB, WR, and RB, with an occasional defensive player. Now they elect a quarterback every fucking year. Mark Ingram and Reggie Bush are the only non-quarterbacks to win in this century.

To answer your question, in the last 10 years, the only Heisman winner I would have definitely taken top 10 overall at the time would have been Cam Newton. I was never that high on Leinert, RGIII, Bradford, or any of the other Heisman winners as QB prospects (and I'm also not high on Winston or Mariotta this year). I might have taken Bush or Ingram top ten overall, but that was back when it was still trendy to use high draft picks on running backs. In retrospect, taking them that high would have been a bad move.

EDIT: Forgot about Bush

Major Ursa

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Vegas Golden Knights
  1. Utah State Aggies
I don't think any of those players going back now are top-10 picks. My question was based on your knowledge of how good they are in the NFL, which ones would you pick top 10 now?

That's kind of a loaded question. If you could go back and redraft for the past 10 years, how many former top 10 picks would you draft in the top 10 now? Pretty much the same thing. Newton looks elite sometimes, others not so much. I thought Griffin and Bradford looked like they could be good quarterbacks before injury. If you knew those players weren't going to be injured, I'd still take them in the top 10.

inchibearfan

Liked Posts:
That's kind of a loaded question. If you could go back and redraft for the past 10 years, how many former top 10 picks would you draft in the top 10 now? Pretty much the same thing. Newton looks elite sometimes, others not so much. I thought Griffin and Bradford looked like they could be good quarterbacks before injury. If you knew those players weren't going to be injured, I'd still take them in the top 10.

It isn't so much retrospect as using that knowledge for future drafting. Given the fact that none of the recent past Heisman winners haven't lived up to the top 10 pick, I would not pick one in the top 10 given trend. For whatever reason, Heisman winners do not become elite in the NFL.