Would Mack be better off playing defensive end?

Bearfanfromnewjersey

Liked Posts:
Outside of his 2018 year his numbers are down. I remember reading he started in a 4-3 defense as a SAM linebacker then moved to DE. With the bears he moved to OLB which has him drop more in coverage. So i decided to check his stats and sure enough once he became a Bear he started to average less tackles, solo tackles and qb hits. I am no expert but since CCS is full of former nfl gm’s, coaches and the best athletes on the planet who happen to also be ccs forum members i figured id ask. Are we using Mack incorrectly? Thoughts?

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
The team would be much better off operating out of a 4-3 than a 3-4. But it's too late for that since they don't have DL Depth

DE Mack- Gipson
DT Hicks-Nichols-Blackson
DT Goldman-Tonga
DE Quinn-Nichols
OLB Ogletree-Attachou
MLB Smith-Danny T
OLB Jones?

Midwaymonster75

Liked Posts:
The team would be much better off operating out of a 4-3 than a 3-4. But it's too late for that since they don't have DL Depth

DE Mack- Gipson
DT Hicks-Nichols-Blackson
DT Goldman-Tonga
DE Quinn-Nichols
OLB Ogletree-Attachou
MLB Smith-Danny T
OLB Jones?
Ive been saying it for years. The Bears should be in a 4-3. A 3-4 is good for teams that have speed at all 4 lb spots and we dont outsided of Roquan whos just ridiculously fast. Id give anything to see him at MLB in a 4-3.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Ive been saying it for years. The Bears should be in a 4-3. A 3-4 is good for teams that have speed at all 4 lb spots and we dont outsided of Roquan whos just ridiculously fast. Id give anything to see him at MLB in a 4-3.

I'm over this 3-4 shit even though dime is the pretty much the base.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
Wasn't he lining up in a three point stance at times Sunday night? I don't remember, since you know...Khalil Mack doesn't ever do anything memorable anymore.

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:
The biggest advantage to a switch to a 4-3 would be to maximize Quinn and Mack. Both are 30, and not having to handle coverage duties on some snaps would help tremendously. Quinn always played better in a 4-3, Mack has played it at a high level, Gipson played it in college.

Hicks, Goldman, Tonga, Nichols could make the switch. Really, the biggest issue would be the LB positions, outside of Roquan. I actually think a young guy like Caleb Johnson who has speed and good instincts could pick up one of the middle linebacker spots.

I mean, why not? At least it would be interesting to watch unlike the shit show last Sunday.

mecha

Liked Posts:
I thought wrecking the defense square peg in round hole style to accommodate Fangio's 3-4 was among the dumbest moves this team has probably ever made. the cupboard was bare after 2014 though, it needed to get blown up anyway, and took a few years for it to take shape. it just sounds like one of those setups where it's near impossible to execute correctly, particularly the last couple years with the D-line getting massacred by injuries. I'm tired and fried, I don't want to fight people on the subject. I just think they have a strong case for going 4-3 again full time. if it can elevate the play of some of the weaker performing players because they're mismatched, why not?