Would Nagy ever figure this out?

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Agreed, but that is a bed he has made. He has had few if any games without a time management blunder. If he were to have a moment of clarity to even conceive of this Vrabel move, no one would believe it was on purpose...justifiably.

Fair enough

Visionman

Liked Posts:
Just want to point out that if the Titans had lost, everyone would be talking about the boneheaded 12 man penalty that helped the Texans drive down the field for the eventual win.
In other words, it’s only considered genius if it works.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Meh, if they get the first down, everyone's calling him a genius. It really wasn't all that terrible of a call to throw there. Honestly, I do like Nagy as a HC, I just wish he would give up the playcalling. He's not very good at it.

But he hasn't been doing that in close games well enough. I get the aggressiveness, but that is twice he failed at it, luckily the defense was there to help out.

Bears Backer 54

Liked Posts:
Nagy and company would miss the point entirely on this and would brag "well, we got two 12 men on the field penalties in the same drive, so beat that!?" Game management and feel for the game flow is definitely this coaching staff's weakness.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The better question is would Nagy have accepted the penalty like the Texans did or would he have known to decline it and let the clock run

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Against the Panthers? Wasn't that because the defense didn't have the right personnel on the field? Was the ensuing series of plays the one where Fuller made that open field tackle on Teddy saving a TD? I mean if so, and Chuck had to burn a timeout to save a touchdown and hold them to a field goal, that's not a bad thing..

But to the OP, no he would not. :(

No, if Nagy didn’t call a TO, play would have still stopped due to the 2 minute warning.

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
Wow, very impressive. I believe Nagy called a timeout right before the 2 minute warning of the first half that cost him 20-30 seconds.

TO was at 2:07 left in 2nd half - 3rd & goal at CHI 2. That's not necessarily an abnormal decision, if you wait for the 2 minute warning and call the TO after stopping them on 3rd down, you get the same result (CAR FG) but the ball back at around 1:50 - so 10 less seconds than what the Bears ended up getting the ball back with (2:00). Let me know if im missing something here - but seems like that call saved 10 seconds instead of costing 20-30. Bears went on to score a FG with :02 left on the clock in the next possession - seems like those 10 seconds were important.

msadows

Liked Posts:
What player has he “coached” up?
What you described he’s good at is being a cheerleader, a pal, and maybe a decent DJ. What has he shown as a coach to be very good at?

Keeping the locker room stable and getting his 53 guys ready to play every week.

This team, even with its ineptness, still gives 100% effort across the board. There is zero egos, and it's probably the best locker room culture i've seen on a bears team in my lifetime.

That is also coaching. He leaves a lot to be desired in the player development and playcalling front, but you can blame player development on the assistant coaches much more than you can him.