Would Pace Still Take Justin Fields If He Had the #2 Pick?

jive

Liked Posts:
I think Pace would have still taken Justin Fields if the Bears had the #2 pick. I think he has a bad taste in his mouth from Trubisky, so he would avoid Lance and Wilson. Justin Fields is just more proven and experienced against top competition in college. He also seems to fit Nagy's scheme better. From the film I've watched, he not only has the abillity to run the RPO, but the ability to read when to take off with the ball as well. Some of the plays he ran, like mesh plays, are in the range of Nagy's scheme. He has the arm to push the vertical game, and his athleticism would give him something to tinker with.

If we had the #2 pick, and Pace took Justin Fields, I would have no problem with it. I'd still be excited.

Last edited:

Caveroamer

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I think Pace would have still taken Justin Fields if the Bears had the #2 pick. I think he has a bad taste in his mouth from Trubisky, so he would avoid Lance and Wilson. Justin Fields is just more proven and experienced against top competition in college. He also seems to fit Nagy's scheme better. From the film I've watched, he not only has the abillity to run the RPO, but the ability to read when to take off with the ball as well. Some of the plays he ran, like mesh plays, are in the range of Nagy's scheme. He has the arm to push the vertical game, and his athleticism would give him something to tinker with.

If we had the #2 pick, and Pace took Justin Fields, I would have no problem with it. I'd still be excited.
I agree, but we didn't and we also gave up next years' #1 pick So he better be good.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
As the #2 overall pick would Fields be accepted to be more gameday ready week 1?

gilder121

I don't care nearly as much anymore
Donator
Liked Posts:
What is the fucking point of this discussion?
I have to assume that on some level it's about addressing some people's insecurity over getting the "4th best" QB in the draft.

Not that I've really seen much of that going around, but yeah.

wazzupi

Liked Posts:

He'd take Patrick mahomes

twetz

Liked Posts:
I hope he would have. I think all 5 QB's listed as likely top picks could all work out. I even think that the other three that went at the end of round two and top of round three could be capable enough. But with the two who were picked before Fields the questions are legitimate. Wilson played against North Alabama, Troy, UTSA, Texas State and Western Kentucky and Lance also had the question mark of competitive level and add in the lack of experience - the Mitch Trubisky kiss of death.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
In this case, Pace would have taken whomever Nagy asked him to. The question becomes, how did Nagy rate them? Leading up to the draft they knew that Lawrence and Wilson would not be available to them so it will be difficult for anyone to assume what their ultimate rankings were outside of Fields likely being in the top 3.

Last edited:

satchice

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
As the #2 overall pick would Fields be accepted to be more gameday ready week 1?
I think this is really the point of the thread. It is amazing how many people are saying that they hope Fields sits behinds Dalton. To me thats like saying I hope Fields can not learn the offense quickly, or cant process the game plan in real time. The entire league knows what Dalton is before he left Cincy, he is a guy that can win when he is surrounded by talent, but will crumble when under pressure.

If Fields was taken in the top 2 there would be no question that he would be ready week 1. I am not saying that he should be anointed as the starter, but that there should be a fair competition splitting reps and the best player should start week 1. Obviously Fields is bigger, strong, faster, more talented, and allows you to expand the playbook to take advantage of his superior skills. The sooner the team is running the game plan designed around Fields the better it will be for the entire team.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
He would have taken trey lance.
Only after a trade up to #1 costing him the Bears 2021 and 2022 2nd rnd picks to assure getting him.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
It was more than just posters. Charlie Casserly polled 24 GM's and everyone had Wilson as the 2nd choice.
As a matter of fact, Fields was a lukewarm 3rd choice over Lance and then Jones according to the GM's.
Several boards - Jeremiah, NFL.com, Scouts Inc. had Lance 3rd and Fields 4th which coincidentally was the way they were drafted.
Some people just don't want the Fields teabag fest to end.
Trubisky was the consensus #1 QB in 2017, we all see how that unfortunately turned out, so take it for what it is worth. Just hope Fields ends up being the one and doesn't have any legally compromising fetishes.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I hope he would have. I think all 5 QB's listed as likely top picks could all work out. I even think that the other three that went at the end of round two and top of round three could be capable enough. But with the two who were picked before Fields the questions are legitimate. Wilson played against North Alabama, Troy, UTSA, Texas State and Western Kentucky and Lance also had the question mark of competitive level and add in the lack of experience - the Mitch Trubisky kiss of death.
I think Wilson would have played at a high level regardless on competition but when it comes to pro concepts and reads, he's behind what was seen from Fields. I highly doubt that he has the fortitude of Justin and has a much higher boom or bust feel to him. Could become very special or start peeking. Justin is really bright, conceptually solid and physically sturdier. I don't ever see him becoming gun shy nor expect him to physically break down. I can't say that about Wilson.

It's difficult to see Fields as being 6'3" because he looks more like a 5'11 RB though a magnifying glass. I can see GMs wanting to project Wilson as the next Mahomes and I think that may have something to do with his acceptance as the #2.