Would you pull a Jared Goff type trade for Zach Wilson/Justin Fields at #3?

jazzmcfunk

Liked Posts:
While I do not 100% disagree with your statement.

You really think they are going to start Nick Foles for 16 games and go on a slow and steady re-tool of this team with their jobs on the line?
I don't think it's (a re-tool of the team) going to happen, but it should. Management needs to focus on building a dynasty rather than keeping sports writers happy. The team should never play (or be managed) to lose, but at some point, the money has to stop going to making offseason splashes and work on long-term player and (more importantly) system development. Is Foles the answer? No. But again, if we can start to turn the focus back to what the Bears identity is (Smash mouth football), then I think the fans are willing to be patient.
I really don't like the flashy picks or for that matter, the gadget plays. I'd rather have a team that kicks the living daylights out of other teams and grinds them down for 4 quarters. These are the teams what their opponents hate to play, because to a man they know it's going to be a fight. The alternative right now is to have an athletic QB with potential, no OLine, no WR's to catch the ball, and a defense that is on the wrong side of 30.
If it's a flashy QB and Offense we want, the organization might as well put a dome over Soldier Field so he can throw better passes. I know I wouldn't want to see that.
And since I'm on a whimsical rant, we need to have a quality Fullback who can block. I know that the game now focuses on spread, speed offences, but I'm putting my money on a 250lb FB to block a 230# LB on the goal line. Again, smash mouth, beat you 10-9 until the whistle blows.

Leomaz

Pissing people off the right way!
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
  2. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Yes. Without a star QB, no SB. Stats don’t lie.
Trent Dilfer and Nick Foles would like a minute for rebuttal.
They are not star Quarterbacks.

Leomaz

Pissing people off the right way!
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
  2. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Lmfaoo I would never trade for watson he is the next rivers newton stafford cousins of the nfl
He doesn’t have to be.....he is better than those quarterbacks

Bears27

Liked Posts:
They definitely have to.

The whole point of them keeping their jobs is so they can get the QB situation finally figured out. That's essentially what Pace / Nagy have done by inadvertently pinning all the blame on Trubisky. It was his fault, give us one more chance – is going to ring on deaf ears if they go up there and pick Mac Jones or even worse sign a QB on the decline. ( Ryan, Stafford, Newton ).

2MuchChino

Liked Posts:
They definitely have to.

The whole point of them keeping their jobs is so they can get the QB situation finally figured out. That's essentially what Pace / Nagy have done by inadvertently pinning all the blame on Trubisky. It was his fault, give us one more chance – is going to ring on deaf ears if they go up there and pick Mac Jones or even worse sign a QB on the decline. ( Ryan, Stafford, Newton ).
There are just not a lot of good options that would make you say, yea Superbowl next year baby. Going after Watson would literally be like spending every penny to your name on Lotto tickets to fund your retirement. And three years out because the talent on the team would have gotten so thoroughly depleted, Watson would think he was back playing for Houston again.

Zvbxrpl

Liked Posts:
Hell no.

Knowing Ryan Pace though it'll be more than that...

baselman1974

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Trent Dilfer and Nick Foles would like a minute for rebuttal.
They are not star Quarterbacks.
Foles had a great O-line and little tape. He should've lost to Atlanta if Ryan didn't choke all the time and played a MN with no real QB.

Dilfer played with one of the best defenses of all time. Also none of them repeated or have multiple SB victories like Brady, Montana, Aikman , Big Ben. Peyton Manning.

Notice the multiple SB winners had star QBs.

Bears27

Liked Posts:
There are just not a lot of good options that would make you say, yea Superbowl next year baby. Going after Watson would literally be like spending every penny to your name on Lotto tickets to fund your retirement. And three years out because the talent on the team would have gotten so thoroughly depleted, Watson would think he was back playing for Houston again.

I agree the good options are scarce, that's kind of the bed they made for themselves. I doubt they get to wait until next year to make any move at the QB position ( even though I like next year's draft options better – Howell, Rattler, Jurkovech ). I also agree Houston would take too much from us, for a Watson deal. So the game becomes locating a misfit in a wrong system ( Tannehill route ) or perhaps one that could be had in the wake of a "grander" move.

I did mention this in another thread and if Nagy & Pace are serious about their system of football – Tua fits that mold. If the Fins are serious about selecting another QB at 3 or making a run at Watson, the Bears should do what they can to facilitate trade and end up with Tagovailoa.

hebs

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Watson has a deadcap of $67mil next season. I don’t think there’s anyway he gets traded.

I wouldn’t be upset if the Bears traded with ATL and took Wilson.

Last edited:

Bears4Ever_34

Liked Posts:
While I do not 100% disagree with your statement.

You really think they are going to start Nick Foles for 16 games and go on a slow and steady re-tool of this team with their jobs on the line?
Yeah, there's no chance they're going to run it back with either Foles or Trubisky next year, given the circumstances.

My gut instinct at the moment is that they'll try to trade up in the top 5 to take Zach Wilson, but won't be able to, and then they'll either trade up a few spots for Mac Jones, or take him at 20 if he lasts that long. That would be pretty depressing, but that seems like something the Bears would do.

I think 2021 will look a lot like 2017 with John Fox unless they're able to somehow get one of the premier talents at quarterback. Foles will play the Mike Glennon role, and then the rookie comes in and underwhelms while the Bears go on to win 3-4 games next year and everybody gets fired.

Last edited:

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
The rams moved from #15, to #1 overall by giving up:

• Picks No. 15, 43, 45, 76 in the 2016 draft
  • Picks No. 5, 100 in the 2017 draft

Now, obviously, moving from 20 to #3 would cost less. Lets say a second rounder less.

So it would be.....Our first rounder, 2nd, and 3rd rounder this year. Our first rounder and 3rd rounder next year.

Would you do it?

No thanks.

You are talking about giving up 5 picks for one guy. Hard pass.

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Lmfaoo I would never trade for watson he is the next rivers newton stafford cousins of the nfl

Dude is one of the top five QB's in the NFL just a shitty human allegedly