CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
One of the dumbest things in professional wrestling was the nWo having "their own" referee.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Wrestlemania 1
There's honestly nothing special about this. The matches were good, and the pomp and circumstance was also there, but it was more about setting the tone for what grew into the biggest PPV ever. It's all the more of an interesting PPV given the documentary on Dr. D last night. I can understand why guys committed to kayfabe would hate it, but at the same time, I don't think those guys saw the larger picture that bringing in celebrities was probably what helped the most. Had they understood that better, guys like Dr. D wouldn't have to bounty hunt.

Chief Walking Stick

Heeeh heeeeh he said POLES
Donator
Liked Posts:
I was really digging AEW until the empty arena shows. Its crazy because the quality of action hasn't really dwindled... I just didn't realize how much the crowd factors into the excitement until now.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
I was really digging AEW until the empty arena shows. Its crazy because the quality of action hasn't really dwindled... I just didn't realize how much the crowd factors into the excitement until now.

The empty arenas are a turn off for sure. The excitement of the crowd really helps

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Wrestlemania 1
There's honestly nothing special about this. The matches were good, and the pomp and circumstance was also there, but it was more about setting the tone for what grew into the biggest PPV ever. It's all the more of an interesting PPV given the documentary on Dr. D last night. I can understand why guys committed to kayfabe would hate it, but at the same time, I don't think those guys saw the larger picture that bringing in celebrities was probably what helped the most. Had they understood that better, guys like Dr. D wouldn't have to bounty hunt.

I need to watch the Dr. D documentary.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
The Wrestling Classic
WWE's second PPV. Maybe a little lesser known, but a really cool idea. It was a tournament that they apparently used to push a few wrestlers forward. 14 matches in the tournament, which sounds like a ton, but they were pretty quick matches. Junk Yard Dog won the championship over Randy Savage, but it was by a countout. Not sure what's up with that, but it's a general criticism I have in a lot of early PPVs put on by both companies. I get the DQ win, but countout seems pretty cheap, especially if it's your Main Event.

Hogan and Piper were also on the card separate from the tournament. This one was a DQ winner. I never understood Piper being a heel. I always liked him.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Taker has been making the media rounds. Fantastic stuff so far.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Watched Summer Slam 92 onFox Sports last night. Man was that fun.

Michaels in the no face punch match plus Savage and Ultimate Warrior going at it.

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Northern Illinois Huskies
WWE is borderline unwatchable. AEW has bad moments but has more entertainment value

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
WWE is borderline unwatchable. AEW has bad moments but has more entertainment value
I mean you are talking different things. AEW is watching a minor league ball team trying to entertain fans. WWE is a mlb ball club that is looking to expand profits. They arent even the same realm.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I mean you are talking different things. AEW is watching a minor league ball team trying to entertain fans. WWE is a mlb ball club that is looking to expand profits. They arent even the same realm.

I illegally streamed the Royal Rumble. Main event was pretty good. Although the Orton re-entry/ elimination was entirely predictable.

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Northern Illinois Huskies
How can you apply that metric when the "minor league team" is available in more houses than the "pro club"?

bamainatlanta

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:

Thoughts? I re-watched the 92 Rumble last night. Good rumble but didn't seem special. Heenan was brilliant on the mike, weird watching Michaels being a mid-card talent, and holy shit was their ever some bad gimmicks--Repo Man, Haiku(or whatever), Barbarian, etc. Several participants have already passed away-Bulldog, Piper, Savage, Volkoff, Snuka, Hercules, Boss Man. Flair was his usual self but some of these contestants couldn't sell anything.

Chief Walking Stick

Heeeh heeeeh he said POLES
Donator
Liked Posts:
That pop for Cena can rival Hogan and Austin! Fans in the stands make wrestling so much better/ What a reaction. I marked out and I knew it was coming. What a fucking reaction

I was gonna say rivaled HHH surprise return from quad injury in early 2000s. But all good comparisons.

bamainatlanta

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Shane got a good pop a few years ago too.