Yall want Mac Jones but not Trey Lance?

Toast88

Liked Posts:
Any college QB whose athletic and dynamic nature is a major asset must be considered to be a potential star at the NFL level (notice I said 'potential'--not predicting).

We're seeing more and more that traditional pocket quarterbacks coming out of the draft with good arms and accuracy aren't the ones dramatically changing their teams. Their more athletic, dynamic peers are.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
Also, what's up with many people just completely ignoring Justin Fields?

His reminds me of a Deshaun Watson situation. He played top teams during his entire career and played well, but yet may end up being the 4th or 5th quarterback taken.

I could easily see that talent carrying over to the next level. Whoever gets him is going to end up being very happy in the end, I think.

ChiGuy

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
If Fields is the one to drop then maybe the Bears wait out the board coming to them. Trading up outside the top 10 isn’t going to be as expensive. I wouldn’t anticipate him falling far but a bunch QB needy teams pass up on QBs every single year.

Irrespective of that, they still have to draft one but you’re probably looking at a Day 2 guy rather than a Fields or Lance.

If there is a rush on QBs then Bears are within reaching distance of players that really ought to have gone in the top 10.

baredown

Liked Posts:
Umm Brady? Mobile QBs have been around forever. Ever hear of Fran Tarkington, Elway, Young?

And Culpepper, Cunningham, McNair and McNabb to name a few more...
And Vince Evans, Bobby Douglass, Walter Payton, to name even a few more...

Seriously, mobility/elusiveness can make good QBs better, sometimes even great, but it won’t make marginally-talented QBs good ones. In the end, it comes down to their arm (accuracy & strength) and their ability to read the field. Unfortunately, it’s really hard to determine how any college QB will develop in terms of reading NFL defenses in real time, and especially hard if they only have one full season of college games to look at. Both Jones & Lance are higher risk picks than the other three guys, due to their more limited game time. Lance does have the mobility card in his favor. In any case, they’ll both be gone by 12...

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange

His reminds me of a Deshaun Watson situation. He played top teams during his entire career and played well, but yet may end up being the 4th or 5th quarterback taken.

I could easily see that talent carrying over to the next level. Whoever gets him is going to end up being very happy in the end, I think.

I don't really think it's Fields getting ignored or dropping as much as it's M.Jones getting much more attention and simply rising. We'll see come draft time but i would love to trade up for Fields if he does start dropping.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
There's definitely going to be a run on QBs in round one and round 3. If Pace has a guy he really likes, he needs to just take him in 2. Maybe trade down a few spots in the process for picks but I'd bet 5 are gone by our 3rd round pick. If it were me, I'd take my fav of Mond, Trask or Mills in 2 and not look back.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:

Nobody is ignoring Fields. Him moving from the 2nd to 3rd QB drafted is nothing new, I wrote about that weeks ago.

Him moving from the 3rd to 4th QB taken is new, but that is speculation, and many mocks have Fields still #3 overall. If he does fall past #3, Carolina takes Fields at #8, no doubt.

Fields has some concerns, mostly in repeated pro accuracy. He makes some great throws, and also makes some subpar throws. He has got to iron that out at the next level. I think people are looking hard at that National Championship game, the same defense that Kyle Trask absolutely lit up, and saw Fields not playing that well. Its just one game of course, but its the last one he played. And the inverse for Jones.

TexasBearfan

Liked Posts:
Lawrence
Fields
Wilson
Jones
Lance

They will all be gone at 20 .
Too many qb hungry teams.

What this does mean that some others like a Davante Smith might slip. If teams go QB crazy there is chance of a very good player who is not a QB at 20
i saw a mock last night where we take a stud DE....I was like wut? I know you're supposed to take BPA....but if you have a need and one guy is ranked a percentage point above another....why put your team in the hole?

hebs

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
IF 5 qb's do go in the top 15 picks.... a good prospect will surely fall to the Bears. Will Pace stick to his "convictions" and take the BPA? or a Tackle?

(It's totally our luck that 5 QB's could go in the 1st round and the Bears STILL won't be able to get one of them... )

Mediocrity constantly keeps the Bears just out of reach of top picks year after year... And even in the rare occurrence that it does happen, they blow their load before they even get their pants off...

baselman1974

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Bears should trade down if someone didn't drop like a Darrisaw, Slater, Waddle, or Smith. End of 1st round to get Mayfield, Cosmi, Jenkins, or Toney. No way I would draft CB in 1st.

dreadpirateroberts

Liked Posts:
Bears should trade down if someone didn't drop like a Darrisaw, Slater, Waddle, or Smith. End of 1st round to get Mayfield, Cosmi, Jenkins, or Toney. No way I would draft CB in 1st.
I’m kind of in the same mindset. Unless someone like Waddle falls or Darrisaw is available, I think we should honestly trade down and pick someone like Elijah Moore.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
How do u know Jones is "smarter"? Lance was smart enuff to go a whole season without an INT....right?
No one 'knows' but Jones got a degree in 3 years with 4.0 average and will graduate with a masters and multiple degrees. Went through read progressions and distributed instead of taking off. Of course, he had to do it that way but he obviously had the smarts to pull it off. It doesn't mean Lance doesn't have the capacity to do the same but it hasn't shown in his play.

Trey has thrown 250 less passes than Mitch did in college. Potential is through the roof and will be drafted for it but when you tuck and run when your 1st read aint open, you tend to not throw picks. 318 passes, 192 runs.

This is where you credit the rest of the AL team for Jones' success and compare him to McCarron while touting other QB's chamionships as reason for elevation.

Last edited:

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Before the last few days/weeks, conventional thinking was Lance would be long gone before the Bears pick and Mac Jones could be attainable. I think most fans would gladly take either, but considering Mac Jones would have been more realistic, he has been more talked about.

Now Jones stock is rising. People are 2nd guessing Lance. Its how the process works this time of year. Talking heads just follow the hot takes and run with the newest narrative.
This and I think as the media gets more contact with scouts and NFL personnel at pro days, the naratives change. Used to start at the combine but it's taking a bit longer this year.

As for the either or, I'll take either, thank you.

BearClaw55

SELL THE TEAM
Donator
Liked Posts:
How do u know Jones is "smarter"? Lance was smart enuff to go a whole season without an INT....right?

Exactly, this is typical stereotype BS. It’s one of the reasons we ended up with Trubisky over two HOF level talent QBs. That accomplished way more then Trubisky in college.

The Bears way..., No wonder they can’t ever find a franchise QB

Briggs is GOAT

Liked Posts:
Mac Jones ran a 4.68 at his pro-day, that time has to be off right?

Briggs is GOAT

Liked Posts:

Fields is my #2. Wilson has higher potential I think (dude could be Aaron Rodgers if he hits his ceiling), but Fields is more of a sure thing to me.

I got:
1. Lawrence
2. Fields
3. Wilson
4. Jones/Lance is a toss up.

Midway Fields

CCS Quarterback Guru
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Why?!? Mac Jones is unathletic in a league where QBs are becoming more athletic, he has less than 20 starts in college, and he was surrounded by talent. Yall trust him?

If you going to draft another one of these sub 20 start QBs, then why not draft Trey Lance who is atleast a dual threat? He also has under 20 starts but had less talent around him. Offensive line needs a mobile QB.

It'd be hypocritical if Pace took Mac Jones based off of team success, while at the same time he literally just passed on Deshaun Watson who had 2 back-to-back 4,000 yard seasons and 2 National Championship appearances.

You realize NDSU has been a juggernaut for over a decade at their level, right?