Yannick Ngakoue

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Carter is probably the player they are going to want if they have the choice.

Payne keeps raising his bar, he is getting to the QB this year and increasing his price. He's always been a really good player, this year he is showing elite pass rush production with 8.5 sacks so far.

Payne and Carter would be immediately an elite inner combo, Bears would go from one of the worst IDL duos to one of the best.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

Payne keeps raising his bar, he is getting to the QB this year and increasing his price. He's always been a really good player, this year he is showing elite pass rush production with 8.5 sacks so far.

Payne and Carter would be immediately an elite inner combo, Bears would go from one of the worst IDL duos to one of the best.
Yeah he is probably approaching 20m a year range which I would have no problem paying given his age and the ability to play both NT and 3T. He has also played some LE for the Commanders so pretty versatile. I guess the question would be whether you want to play 20m if you have to play him more at NT if you draft Carter and want both of them on the Fields as NT may suppress his pass rush stats as more likely to be double teamed there. Or do you go big and play him at LE on non-obvious passing downs and then kick him inside on passing downs?

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Yeah he is probably approaching 20m a year range which I would have no problem paying given his age and the ability to play both NT and 3T. He has also played some LE for the Commanders so pretty versatile. I guess the question would be whether you want to play 20m if you have to play him more at NT if you draft Carter and want both of them on the Fields as NT may suppress his pass rush stats as more likely to be double teamed there. Or do you go big and play him at LE on non-obvious passing downs and then kick him inside on passing downs?
He's worth that at either spot, having great players all along the DL is the best recipe to win in the NFL other than having an elite QB imo. There is also no rule you can't put them both in the B gaps on passing downs.

Also DL always rotates alot, Carter isn't going to play more than 70% of snaps off the bat and someone need to take those other 30%.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
For some reason, Yannick just bounces around. Jax to Minn to Baltimore to Las Vegas to Indy.

Poles wont be drafting Skoronski that high. And hard pass on Lazard/Gesicki
I wrote that when the Bears were picking lower in the draft. They could trade back and still make it happen.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
The problem is Yannick and Anderson are both REs as Yannick's run D sucks and Anderson is great against the run but probably a bit undersized to play LE full time.
That is fair to point out. Though personally, I see the differences between right and left (for tackles and ends) are fading as the game continues to prioritize dominant passing.

What I want out of this offseason (among other things, OL is obviously the #1 priority) is to have two DEs that can take advantage of a violent 3Tech, and to sign Payne to be that DT. I see Anderson as the best possible draft pick for us to land, and Carter a silver medal that everyone should be ecstatic to get. I want to prioritize having two DEs and one DT instead of the reverse, so that a QB has no good option of where to step when the pocket collapses up the middle.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I wrote that when the Bears were picking lower in the draft. They could trade back and still make it happen.
please God no. Bears offense can score 30ppg even with a sub-par OLine. They can’t stop an offense from scoring 30.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
He's worth that at either spot, having great players all along the DL is the best recipe to win in the NFL other than having an elite QB imo. There is also no rule you can't put them both in the B gaps on passing downs.

Also DL always rotates alot, Carter isn't going to play more than 70% of snaps off the bat and someone need to take those other 30%.

Well I did say I would have no problem paying him that but just saying I don't think Flus would pay for a 20m a year for a NT. More of a luxury in this D like 20m for WILL. Having said that no guarantee you get Carter and even if you do he will rotate like you said so I think you sign Payne and then figure it all out later. He gives you the option to trade down for a fuck ton of picks rather than being forced to draft Carter.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
That is fair to point out. Though personally, I see the differences between right and left (for tackles and ends) are fading as the game continues to prioritize dominant passing.

What I want out of this offseason (among other things, OL is obviously the #1 priority) is to have two DEs that can take advantage of a violent 3Tech, and to sign Payne to be that DT. I see Anderson as the best possible draft pick for us to land, and Carter a silver medal that everyone should be ecstatic to get. I want to prioritize having two DEs and one DT instead of the reverse, so that a QB has no good option of where to step when the pocket collapses up the middle.

I have no problem with Anderson or Payne but a lot of that will probably be driven by FA and where we end up in the draft.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Well I did say I would have no problem paying him that but just saying I don't think Flus would pay for a 20m a year for a NT. More of a luxury in this D like 20m for WILL. Having said that no guarantee you get Carter and even if you do he will rotate like you said so I think you sign Payne and then figure it all out later. He gives you the option to trade down for a fuck ton of picks rather than being forced to draft Carter.
Yeah I think Payne should be the #1 guy to shore up the DL in free agency, been saying this all year. He's great whether or not you have Carter.

They need an EDGE upgrade in FA as well. Get one of each in FA and you can go into the draft without being pigeonholed.

gallagher

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
Yeah I think Payne should be the #1 guy to shore up the DL in free agency, been saying this all year. He's great whether or not you have Carter.

They need an EDGE upgrade in FA as well. Get one of each in FA and you can go into the draft without being pigeonholed.
We are going to probably see an absurd amount of roster turnover in the free agency period simply because the team HAS to spend a certain amount of money. The only need that will be pigeonholed would be one where we failed to sign someone while throwing fistfuls of money elsewhere.

Just to reiterate, because I invoked minimum amount of money required to be spent. According to the current CBA (see page 100) the team is required to spend 90% of the salary cap averaged over 2021, 2022, and 2023. According to this information on the team's contract obligations, they have currently obligated approx. $482 million of the total $624 million in total salary cap over that span (rounded to the nearest million dollars - I love saying that). To meet the 90% threshold, the team will have to have spent $562 million, or the team will have to spend the difference on the players that were under contract during that period. If this information is incorrect, someone please point out better sources.

In short, the team will be forced to spend money anyway if they dont obligate $80M during this offseason. And if they spend the MINIMUM, the team still would have more than $50M to spend as they please, because they will have only obligated something like $170M of the salary cap. You can overpay two offensive linemen and two defensive linemen, get the best of the free agency bunch, and still have an absurd amount of cash on hand that you dont get to save for the next league year.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
please God no. Bears offense can score 30ppg even with a sub-par OLine. They can’t stop an offense from scoring 30.
It always boils down to who's available. You generally don't draft for need that high in the draft. You draft a guy who is going to have a major impact on play. Yes, the Bears need defense. That being said, if you draft someone that has a good chance of being a probowler you take him, regardless of need. QBs are an exception to that rule. You don't want to risk drafting a less impactful player simply because you have a need.

Free agency is going to have an impact on what the Bears do in the draft, but drafting that high you go for the homerun player, regardless of where they are.

Despite what Fields can do, you need more oline. Imagine Fields, with time to throw and his massive athletic talent, as he gets better.

Thanks for watching my channel. Please like, subscribe, and ring that bell.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
M

Maybe if the Bear's wind up with the 2nd pick, a trade could be made to get both Carter and Payne or Carter and a top OT?

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
We are going to probably see an absurd amount of roster turnover in the free agency period simply because the team HAS to spend a certain amount of money. The only need that will be pigeonholed would be one where we failed to sign someone while throwing fistfuls of money elsewhere.

Just to reiterate, because I invoked minimum amount of money required to be spent. According to the current CBA (see page 100) the team is required to spend 90% of the salary cap averaged over 2021, 2022, and 2023. According to this information on the team's contract obligations, they have currently obligated approx. $482 million of the total $624 million in total salary cap over that span (rounded to the nearest million dollars - I love saying that). To meet the 90% threshold, the team will have to have spent $562 million, or the team will have to spend the difference on the players that were under contract during that period. If this information is incorrect, someone please point out better sources.

In short, the team will be forced to spend money anyway if they dont obligate $80M during this offseason. And if they spend the MINIMUM, the team still would have more than $50M to spend as they please, because they will have only obligated something like $170M of the salary cap. You can overpay two offensive linemen and two defensive linemen, get the best of the free agency bunch, and still have an absurd amount of cash on hand that you dont get to save for the next league year.

It is cash spend not cap spend so they have $194m and $142m cash spend in 2021 and 2022 ($336 in total). Cap was $182.5m, $208.2m and $218.2m ie $608m. 90% of 608. is 547m so that is $211m they have to spend in cash this year. That would include signing bonuses. Right now thry have 67.5m in cash spend for 2023.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
It always boils down to who's available. You generally don't draft for need that high in the draft. You draft a guy who is going to have a major impact on play. Yes, the Bears need defense. That being said, if you draft someone that has a good chance of being a probowler you take him, regardless of need. QBs are an exception to that rule. You don't want to risk drafting a less impactful player simply because you have a need.

Free agency is going to have an impact on what the Bears do in the draft, but drafting that high you go for the homerun player, regardless of where they are.

Despite what Fields can do, you need more oline. Imagine Fields, with time to throw and his massive athletic talent, as he gets better.

Thanks for watching my channel. Please like, subscribe, and ring that bell.

The best players this year outside of QB are on D.

gallagher

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
It is cash spend not cap spend so they have $194m and $142m cash spend in 2021 and 2022 ($336 in total). Cap was $182.5m, $208.2m and $218.2m ie $608m. 90% of 608. is 547m so that is $211m they have to spend in cash this year. That would include signing bonuses. Right now thry have 67.5m in cash spend for 2023.
I see! Thank you for the correction.

The team has to spend money, and is in a position to outbid everyone else to get talent at positions that would have made a difference this year. Chicago won't be turned down because of money.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
M

Maybe if the Bear's wind up with the 2nd pick, a trade could be made to get both Carter and Payne or Carter and a top OT?
You're even worse at this than baseball.

Payne is a free agent, so he's in a different category. He can be signed, not drafted.

I don't think you can move down 1 or 2 spots still get Carter, and also acquire another top 10 pick. In fact I can say with certainty this won't happen.

Maybe if Jake Burger changes sports to football the Bears could get him too? I hear he's pretty grindy and your kind of guy.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
The best players this year outside of QB are on D.
It really comes down to how you rate them individually, not on mass basis. You only get to pick one.

That being said, free agency will be the biggest chance for a talent lift for the Bears right away.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
It really comes down to how you rate them individually, not on mass basis. You only get to pick one.

That being said, free agency will be the biggest chance for a talent lift for the Bears right away.

Of course but I think Anderson, Carter, Murphy, Ringo, Breese, Wilson, and Nolan Smith are all top 15. Skoronski is probably the only OT I would rate that high now that Fashanu is going back to college.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Of course but I think Anderson, Carter, Murphy, Ringo, Breese, Wilson, and Nolan Smith are all top 15. Skoronski is probably the only OT I would rate that high now that Fashanu is going back to college.
Skoronski may be a better football player than any of them. That's the decision the Bears must make.

They may also feel a trade back is warranted for more value overall.