Year 1 of the Rebuild Mock Off Season

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Draft

*Bears trade Robert Quinn to Eagles for 2023 3rd round pick & 2024 4th round pick

Falcons draft QB Bryce Young
Texans draft QB CJ Shroud
Seahawks draft EDGE Will Anderson
Panthers DT Jalen Carter
Lions WR Jaxon Smith-Njiba

1[6] OT Paris Johnson Jr. [Ohio State] 6'6 295lbs

Bears get their LT of the future, the teams hasn't drafted a tackle in the first round since Chris Williams in 2008 unless you count Kyle Long who was moved to guard. The team desperately needs to value this position unless they enjoy giving QB PTSD and concussions.

f12d-4774-ac29-ebe2957f0e04-osu_spring_0418_ac_158.jpg

2[] WR Rakim Jarrett [Maryland] 5'10 194lbs

Slot WR but hidden gem in this draft if he was bigger he'd probably be listed as a top twenty pick. On the year, he was credited with a 63.0 burn percentage, which places him in similar territory as the likes of second-rounders John Metchie III of Alabama (63.8%) and Robinson (63.2%) and first-rounders Treylon Burks (64.8%) of Arkansas and Jahan Dotson (63.8%) of Penn State among top draft prospects.

umns-0fdc756f-e029-4dc7-aff9-95783519df4a-1536x864.png

3[] C Darrian Dalcourt [Alabama] 6'3 305lbs

Sam Mustipher needs to go and hopefully we don't hear much from him after Lucas Patrick takes back over for Center. Seth McLaughlin was on NFL teams' preseason watchlist, but Dalcourt beat him out for the starting center spot.

K_1A9632.jpg

3[] DT Nesta Jade Silvera [Arizona] 6'4 295lbs

Silvera has been a quality interior defensive lineman for the Miami Hurricanes over the past couple of seasons. In 2021. he notched 38 tackles after recording 35 stops the previous season. As a senior, it would help Silvera to improve his pass-rush production. He had one sack in 2020 and one in 2019, but zero in 2021. After 2021, Silvera transferred to Arizona State for his senior year.

FbxeJiSUYAALOL0?format=jpg&name=large.jpg

4 [] LB Owen Pappoe [Auburn] 6'1 225lbs

Pappoe recorded 23 tackles over five games in 2021 because he dealt with injuries throughout the season. In 2020, he had 93 tackles, four sacks, an interception and two passes broken up. The injuries and rehab carried into the spring of 2022, so Pappoe needs to stay healthy and productive as a senior to stay draft-able.

USATSI_15138925-e1621801685799.jpg

5[] WR Xavier Hutchinson [Iowa State] 6'3 200lbs

Hutchinson has been a productive wide receiver for the Cyclones across the past two seasons. He made 83 catches for 987 yards and five touchdowns in 2021 after recording 64 catches for 771 yards and four scores in 2020. Hutchinson has good size, but he will need to show more speed to rise.

RLC3CNK72RCPDKQ5JUEW2F444I.jpg

6[] TE Payne Durham [Purdue] 6'5 255lbs

Durham contributed as a receiver for Purdue in 2021, hauling in 45 passes for 467 yards and six touchdowns. He caught seven touchdowns over the previous two seasons. Durham could fit as a Y tight end in the NFL.

e4052fda0dfe4ffea13aa85486d0d30b.jpg

7[] S Sage Ryan [LSU] 5'11 195lbs

ama-4-Star-S-target-Sage-Ryan-holding-Alabama-belt.jpg

Free Agency

New Contracts

Roquan Smith 5 years 97.5 million/45 guaranteed
Patrick Scales 1 year 1.4 million
St Brown 1 year 1 million
Nicholas Morrow 1 year 1.2 million
DHC 1 year 1.4 million
Dane Cruikshank 1 year 1.4 million

Bears sign DL Daron Payne to 4 year 71.5 million/33 guaranteed

Payne, 25, is in his fifth and final season of his rookie contract. The Commanders recently extended defensive tackle Jonathan Allen and don't have the cap space to keep the Payne. If you miss Akiem Hicks you'll love this guy.

Daron-Payne-WFT-USATSI_14961597.jpg

Bears sign WR Mecole Hardman to 4 years 33 million/ 14.5 guaranteed

2023 free agency doesn't have many options at WR but Hardman would be a solid pick up by the Bears his value is still up in the air and will probably put up similiar numbers to what Mooney did last year.

1184027434.jpg

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I know a lot of people won't like it but it's a good starting point for a team devoid of talent. Free agency doesn't have many options at WR so it's unlikely we get true number one.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
This past year was the first offseason of a rebuild.

It isnt that people wont like your mock offseason, it is that you have given up on watching games after a rough start with a 2-1 record.

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
This past year was the first offseason of a rebuild.

It isnt that people wont like your mock offseason, it is that you have given up on watching games after a rough start with a 2-1 record.

It's a reset year where we purge all the bad contracts Ryan Pace made the rebuild doesn't technically start until next year. People might not like it but Justin Fields should be the starter next year as well. He will improve hopefully but he MOST LIKELY won't be the franchise QB you guys hope.

He just doesn't have 'It' but he can be decent hopefully.

PickSix

Liked Posts:
We have a QB that can’t hit the broad side of a barn lately. Shouldn’t they wait to see how his development goes during the season before forgetting about the QB position?

RiDLer80

First time, long time.
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Miami Hurricanes
  2. Northern Illinois Huskies
I like the plan and I like the picks. IMO, we should've started this type of rebuild around Fields this past offseason. I think it was a mistake addressing defense so heavily instead of offense. Can we properly evaluate Fields with the weapons he has around him?

Overall balanced offseason that addresses the OL in the draft, our need at WR in the draft & free agency, and our need to improve our talent at DT. Good job.

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
We have a QB that can’t hit the broad side of a barn lately. Shouldn’t they wait to see how his development goes during the season before forgetting about the QB position?

And do what overpay Baker Mayfield?

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:

Trevor Siemian is under contract in 2023 as well. He can play the "bridge QB" if need be.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Hardeman will never figure it out.

PickSix

Liked Posts:
And do what overpay Baker Mayfield?
I actually like your plan assuming Fields shows any legit progress. But Poles and Eberflus will lose the team if they truck out an obvious bust next year.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
What do the Bears do at RT which is a much bigger issue than LT

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
What do the Bears do at RT which is a much bigger issue than LT
Riley Reiff maybe I'd like to see him at RT not sure why they paid him 12.5 million not to play.

Enasic

Liked Posts:
Riley Reiff maybe I'd like to see him at RT not sure why they paid him 12.5 million not to play.
The 12.5 mil is based on playing time and incentives. If he doesn’t play, he won’t get that amount

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I actually like your plan assuming Fields shows any legit progress. But Poles and Eberflus will lose the team if they truck out an obvious bust next year.

It was a red flag to me when Roquan Smith wanted to skip dodge with Justin Fields starting at QB but I hope the team understands it best for the team in the long run.

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
The 12.5 mil is based on playing time and incentives. If he doesn’t play, he won’t get that amount

Interesting so I guess Fields health isn't important to Eberflus when money is involved.

Enasic

Liked Posts:
Interesting so I guess Fields health isn't important to Eberflus when money is involved.
They’re seeing what they have in Borom. He’s been good in the run game but has struggled in pass pro. I suspect if that continues we’ll see Reif in the lineup sooner than later

RiDLer80

First time, long time.
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Miami Hurricanes
  2. Northern Illinois Huskies
I've been thinking about this. I like the plan of building your roster up and loading it with as much talent as possible (both offense and defense) to properly evaluate your QB. That way, there's no excuse that he's not executing because of the talent around him.

We've seen this a number of times recently with team like: the Chargers, Vikings, Eagles, Broncos, Cleveland, Tampa Bay etc. All these teams had really talented rosters that pundits considered playoff quality. The problem was they had unsure/unstable QB situations. Chargers had a stopgap in Tyrod Taylor so they drafted Herbert, Vikings had Case Keenum so they got Cousins, Philly drafted Hurts, Broncos just brought in Russ Wilson, Tampa brought in Brady. I think the Bears implemented this same strategy with Pace when they drafted Trubisky. We had a Superbowl-caliber defense and good offensive weapons around him.

Now, we obviously got our QB choice wrong, and it's never a guarantee you draft the right one, but I like the idea of accumulating talent before putting a young QB in a horrible situation.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Yeah he’s not seeing half of that

Collins77

Liked Posts:
Shoot, as crazy as Lamars contract stuff has been going who knows. Next thing ya know we send Roquan , Justin, Quinn, and a 1st to Baltimore.