Year 1 of the Rebuild Mock Off Season

gwharris2254

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I know a lot of people won't like it but it's a good starting point for a team devoid of talent. Free agency doesn't have many options at WR so it's unlikely we get true number one.
You can get lucky once in awhile and pickup an ARob coming off an injury

Rise

Liked Posts:
I’d absolutely love to see them get a true LT like this mock but this is the Bears. They will draft defense because Flus needs his 3T. Same old shit is my mock until I see otherwise.

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Switch Mecole Hardman for Conklin.

Conklin and Payne would be an ideal free agency

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Switch Mecole Hardman for Conklin.

Conklin and Payne would be an ideal free agency

Conklin would go a long way to fixing the OL. Hardeman can’t even produce in KC, and has had plenty of chances to. Several good corners will be available as well. Free Agency is just short on playmakers at the skill position.

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Free Agency

Cuts & Trades

*Bears trade Robert Quinn to Rams for 2023 4th round pick

1. Released Robert Quinn
    (Saved: $9,762,500)
  2. Released Cody Whitehair
    (Saved: $5,794,000)
  3. Released Lucas Patrick
    (Saved: $3,900,000)
  4. Released Kindle Vildor
    (Saved: $1,010,000)

New Contracts

Riley Reiff 1 year 2.5 million
Sam Mustipher 1 year 1 million
Dante Pettis 1 year 1 million
DHC 1 year 1.5 million

Bears sign LT Orlando Brown to 5 years 115 million/45 guaranteed

Franchise tagged Brown is looking to get paid and Bears have a boatload of money this off-season to spend on him. He's looking to get overpaid but in my opinion it's worth it you don't see tackles hit the market very often and as devoid on talent as the Bears are on the line it's more than worth it.

Bears sign RT Jack Conklin to 4 years 54 million/20 guaranteed

Bears need to heavily invest in offensive line this season if they want to have any kind of success. Conklin would be a good fit to help remedy the right tackle position but while Conklin has played at a high level he's also often injured. It's doubtful he stays with the Browns due to their cap space situation.

Bears sign TE Evan Engram to 3 years 28 million/ 10 guaranteed

He's an upgrade over Kmet but just a temporary fix. Bears should blow all their cap on this year but should definitely work on improving offensive line.

Bears extend Roquan Smith 5 years 97.5 million/45 guaranteed

This is a no brainier move he's one of the best LB's in the NFL.

Bears extend Jaylon Johnson 4 years for 80 million

Stop wasting to the last minute to extend the young stars on the roster.

Draft

Texans draft QB Bryce Young
Panthers draft QB CJ Shroud
Texans [Browns] draft Edge Will Anderson
Commanders draft QB Will Levis
Eagles [Saints] draft DT Jalen Carter
Falcons draft OT Peter Skoronski

Bears draft WR Jaxon Smith-Njigba

I don't like the idea of trading for a WR even in this free agency with a lack of options it's a very Ryan Pace move and part of the reason the Bears are where they are now. Smith-Njigba has taken a majority of his snaps in the slot but has played everywhere and in my opinion he has the highest floor.

Round 2: LG Nick Broeker [Ole Miss] 6'4 305lbs

Broeker is starting at left guard, which could be his best fit for the NFL as he's also played tackle. I can't see Bears keep Whitehair for another year at his current contract I'd rather see Borom, Braxton Jones, or even a rookie get a chance over him.

Round 3: LB Micah Baskerville [LSU] 6'0 223lbs

9/24/22: Baskerville is a fast, pursuit linebacker. He has nine tackles and an interception thus far in 2022.

7/8/22: In 2021, Baskerville collected 83 tackles, two sacks, an interception and three passes broken up. He was a decent linebacker next to Damone Clark, but Baskerville faces some limitations for the NFL. Baskerville recorded 55 tackles in 2020 while playing in a rotation with a number of other talented linebackers. He is a tough run defender who needs to show progress in pass coverage.

Round 4: TE Brant Kuithe [Utah] 6'2 230lbs

9/10/22: Kuithe had an excellent start the season, notching nine receptions for 105 yards and a touchdown against Florida. The Gators had no answer for Kuithe, who displayed good route-running, quickness, dependable hands, and some yards-after-the-catch ability.

Kuithe's strong season ended with knee injury after four game. He finished his year with 19 catches for 206 yards and three touchdowns. Kuithe is undersized for the NFL, but he has some natural receiving ability. This injury probably pushes Kuithe to the third day of the 2023 NFL Draft rather than being a possible second-day pick.

6/24/22: Kuithe has been a steady receiving tight end for the Utes over the past four seasons. He put together his best year in 2021, catching 50 passes for 511 yards and six touchdowns. Kuithe is a functional receiving tight end, but he is an undersized blocker for the NFL.

Round 4: DT Moro Ojomo [Texas] 6'3 280lbs

9/24/22: On the year, Ojomo has seven tackles and .5 sacks.
7/5/22: Ojomo is a tackle/end tweener with the height of a tackle and the weight of an end. For the NFL, he probably needs to gain weight to line up on the inside. In 2021, he recorded 25 tackles, but no sacks. He had 21 tackles and two sacks in 2020.

Round 5: WR Xavier Hutchinson [Iowa State] 6'3 200lbs

Hutchinson has been a productive wide receiver for the Cyclones across the past two seasons. He made 83 catches for 987 yards and five touchdowns in 2021 after recording 64 catches for 771 yards and four scores in 2020. Hutchinson has good size, but he will need to show more speed to rise.

Round 6: RB Eric Gray [Oklahoma] 5'9 206lbs

10/8/22: This season, Gray has averaged seven yards per carry for 460 yards and three touchdowns. He has 12 catches for 92 yards.

6/22/22: Gray could be a riser if he ends up being the lead back for the Sooners in 2022. He split carries during the past three seasons, but flashed some running ability in his opportunities. In Lincoln Riley's offense, Gray was a very good receiver, totaling 66 receptions over three seasons. He could be a backup receiving back candidate for the NFL.

Round 7: CB Eric Gray [Maryland] 6'0 185lbs

10/15/22: Still has 20 tackles so far this year.

6/30/22: Still broke into the starting lineup as a freshman in the COVID-19 shortened season, collecting 20 tackles and eight passes broken up. In 2021, Still recorded 55 tackles, two sacks and 10 passes broken up, but he didn't notch an interception.

Depth Chart

WR: Jaxon Smith-Njigba, Dante Pettis, Equanimeous St. Brown
WR: Darnell Mooney, Velus Jones Jr
TE: Evan Engram, Cole Kmet, Brant Kuithe
LT: Orlando Brown, Braxton Jones
LG: Braxton Jones, Nick Broeker
C: Lucas Patrick, Sam Mustipher
RG: Teven Jenkins, Larry Borom
RT: Jack Conklin, Larry Borom

TezMaKai

Liked Posts:
I know a lot of people won't like it but it's a good starting point for a team devoid of talent. Free agency doesn't have many options at WR so it's unlikely we get true number one.

Rakim Jarret is a 4th - 5th round prospect.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Draft

*Bears trade Robert Quinn to Eagles for 2023 3rd round pick & 2024 4th round pick

Falcons draft QB Bryce Young
Texans draft QB CJ Shroud
Seahawks draft EDGE Will Anderson
Panthers DT Jalen Carter
Lions WR Jaxon Smith-Njiba

1[6] OT Paris Johnson Jr. [Ohio State] 6'6 295lbs

Bears get their LT of the future, the teams hasn't drafted a tackle in the first round since Chris Williams in 2008 unless you count Kyle Long who was moved to guard. The team desperately needs to value this position unless they enjoy giving QB PTSD and concussions.

View attachment 22865

2[] WR Rakim Jarrett [Maryland] 5'10 194lbs

Slot WR but hidden gem in this draft if he was bigger he'd probably be listed as a top twenty pick. On the year, he was credited with a 63.0 burn percentage, which places him in similar territory as the likes of second-rounders John Metchie III of Alabama (63.8%) and Robinson (63.2%) and first-rounders Treylon Burks (64.8%) of Arkansas and Jahan Dotson (63.8%) of Penn State among top draft prospects.

View attachment 22866

3[] C Darrian Dalcourt [Alabama] 6'3 305lbs

Sam Mustipher needs to go and hopefully we don't hear much from him after Lucas Patrick takes back over for Center. Seth McLaughlin was on NFL teams' preseason watchlist, but Dalcourt beat him out for the starting center spot.

View attachment 22867

3[] DT Nesta Jade Silvera [Arizona] 6'4 295lbs

Silvera has been a quality interior defensive lineman for the Miami Hurricanes over the past couple of seasons. In 2021. he notched 38 tackles after recording 35 stops the previous season. As a senior, it would help Silvera to improve his pass-rush production. He had one sack in 2020 and one in 2019, but zero in 2021. After 2021, Silvera transferred to Arizona State for his senior year.

View attachment 22868

4 [] LB Owen Pappoe [Auburn] 6'1 225lbs

Pappoe recorded 23 tackles over five games in 2021 because he dealt with injuries throughout the season. In 2020, he had 93 tackles, four sacks, an interception and two passes broken up. The injuries and rehab carried into the spring of 2022, so Pappoe needs to stay healthy and productive as a senior to stay draft-able.

View attachment 22869

5[] WR Xavier Hutchinson [Iowa State] 6'3 200lbs

Hutchinson has been a productive wide receiver for the Cyclones across the past two seasons. He made 83 catches for 987 yards and five touchdowns in 2021 after recording 64 catches for 771 yards and four scores in 2020. Hutchinson has good size, but he will need to show more speed to rise.

View attachment 22870

6[] TE Payne Durham [Purdue] 6'5 255lbs

Durham contributed as a receiver for Purdue in 2021, hauling in 45 passes for 467 yards and six touchdowns. He caught seven touchdowns over the previous two seasons. Durham could fit as a Y tight end in the NFL.

View attachment 22871

7[] S Sage Ryan [LSU] 5'11 195lbs

View attachment 22872

Free Agency

New Contracts

Roquan Smith 5 years 97.5 million/45 guaranteed
Patrick Scales 1 year 1.4 million
St Brown 1 year 1 million
Nicholas Morrow 1 year 1.2 million
DHC 1 year 1.4 million
Dane Cruikshank 1 year 1.4 million

Bears sign DL Daron Payne to 4 year 71.5 million/33 guaranteed

Payne, 25, is in his fifth and final season of his rookie contract. The Commanders recently extended defensive tackle Jonathan Allen and don't have the cap space to keep the Payne. If you miss Akiem Hicks you'll love this guy.

View attachment 22873

Bears sign WR Mecole Hardman to 4 years 33 million/ 14.5 guaranteed

2023 free agency doesn't have many options at WR but Hardman would be a solid pick up by the Bears his value is still up in the air and will probably put up similiar numbers to what Mooney did last year.

View attachment 22874
That was quite an analysis. Well done. I would love it if the Bears came out with Carter at DT with their first pick. Would you consider trading down with your first pick to get another 1st rounder and/or another second and third? I was think about getting a DT, TE or top wideout, and an OT and Edge Rusher or LB with my three picks in the draft. Four starters. Two offense and two defense.

I would try to fill the interior offensive line with good free agent veterans who fit the offensive philosophy that they want to achieve. The sure need a center and I think a right guard also. In addition I like a GOOD Left Tackle . I like Jones but maybe they could move him to compete with Borom at RT.

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
That was quite an analysis. Well done. I would love it if the Bears came out with Carter at DT with their first pick. Would you consider trading down with your first pick to get another 1st rounder and/or another second and third? I was think about getting a DT, TE or top wideout, and an OT and Edge Rusher or LB with my three picks in the draft. Four starters. Two offense and two defense.

I would try to fill the interior offensive line with good free agent veterans who fit the offensive philosophy that they want to achieve. The sure need a center and I think a right guard also. In addition I like a GOOD Left Tackle . I like Jones but maybe they could move him to compete with Borom at RT.

Carter is a beast but I really think they need to improve LT and WR before even thinking about defense but if they see Carter as a generational talent go for it. If Bears have a top ten pick I'd like to see them get a top ten offensive talent.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Carter is a beast but I really think they need to improve LT and WR before even thinking about defense but if they see Carter as a generational talent go for it. If Bears have a top ten pick I'd like to see them get a top ten offensive talent.
Ummmmm why are we cutting Vildor again? He's playing good ball.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Riley Reiff maybe I'd like to see him at RT not sure why they paid him 12.5 million not to play.
They would have paid him 12.5 million if he played. They are paying him a lot less by not playing him.

Maybe they saw real reasons to not play him, besides saving money, during practices. Who knows?

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
I've been thinking about this. I like the plan of building your roster up and loading it with as much talent as possible (both offense and defense) to properly evaluate your QB. That way, there's no excuse that he's not executing because of the talent around him.

We've seen this a number of times recently with team like: the Chargers, Vikings, Eagles, Broncos, Cleveland, Tampa Bay etc. All these teams had really talented rosters that pundits considered playoff quality. The problem was they had unsure/unstable QB situations. Chargers had a stopgap in Tyrod Taylor so they drafted Herbert, Vikings had Case Keenum so they got Cousins, Philly drafted Hurts, Broncos just brought in Russ Wilson, Tampa brought in Brady. I think the Bears implemented this same strategy with Pace when they drafted Trubisky. We had a Superbowl-caliber defense and good offensive weapons around him.

Now, we obviously got our QB choice wrong, and it's never a guarantee you draft the right one, but I like the idea of accumulating talent before putting a young QB in a horrible situation.
And the Cards had high 1st round back to back QBs drafted in the draft. You bring in who you believe is a good QB and move off from that if it doesn't work out.

Building a whole team up before going after a QB is foolish because a team that has a whole roster besides a QB is not going to be drafting a high tier QB because of its draft position.

Relying on an established top tier QB to suddenly become available is just as foolish. First, this is not something that can be relied upon to suddenly become available and secondly, having a smooth transition with a top-tier QB on a new team is not a given. Ask the Colts and the Broncos about that.

Even Tom Brady had trouble with the Bucs because he did not fit in with the Bucs offense, up until when he told the OC to piss off, taking over and using the Pats offense did he have success.

Moreover, the Bucs had Tom Brady as a major drawing card bringing in a future Hall-of-fame TE, first round RB, and top receivers on a budget. Sorry, but that is not going to happen with the Bears.

JordanSigler

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
It's a reset year where we purge all the bad contracts Ryan Pace made the rebuild doesn't technically start until next year. People might not like it but Justin Fields should be the starter next year as well. He will improve hopefully but he MOST LIKELY won't be the franchise QB you guys hope.

He just doesn't have 'It' but he can be decent hopefully.
It?

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Robinson came to Chicago because he believed in Trubisky for some reason. Fields will need to network and bring a guy here.
That is BS. Robinson came to Chicago because they offered him the most.

JordanSigler

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
And the Cards had high 1st round back to back QBs drafted in the draft. You bring in who you believe is a good QB and move off from that if it doesn't work out.

Building a whole team up before going after a QB is foolish because a team that has a whole roster besides a QB is not going to be drafting a high tier QB because of its draft position.

Relying on an established top tier QB to suddenly become available is just as foolish. First, this is not something that can be relied upon to suddenly become available and secondly, having a smooth transition with a top-tier QB on a new team is not a given. Ask the Colts and the Broncos about that.

Even Tom Brady had trouble with the Bucs because he did not fit in with the Bucs offense, up until when he told the OC to piss off, taking over and using the Pats offense did he have success.

Moreover, the Bucs had Tom Brady as a major drawing card bringing in a future Hall-of-fame TE, first round RB, and top receivers on a budget. Sorry, but that is not going to happen with the Bears.
True. KC fucked up by building a playoff caliber team before drafting Mahomes