Yoenis Cespedes Granted Free Agency

Status
Not open for further replies.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
From what i understand most of the money will be bonus. So they actually wont be paying him that much annually. So like FLA prolly offered 40 mil over 6 years but im assuming alot of it Bonus so it wont hurt payroll

I would hope that the Cubs would make a similar offer so that most of the cost is absorbed this year when there isn't something that makes sense to spend on besides Cespedes and Soler at this point.

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
But that is the point waldo we can't compare the contracts given the situations are completely different. The risk with Cespedes is much higher than signing Fukudome, but the potential reward is also much higher.

I really don't know what to put the pricetag on Cespedes, but I am hopefully that the Cubs could make soemthing happen because this team needs talent at every level and every spot on the diamond.

I think we agree, but my wording is not going on how I plan.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think we agree, but my wording is not going on how I plan.

Perhaps I just don't think we can use Fukudome's contract to say 8 million is a steal for Cespedes. If the Cubs sign him for that amount, I am fine with it, but I am not certain they will do that.

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
Perhaps I just don't think we can use Fukudome's contract to say 8 million is a steal for Cespedes. If the Cubs sign him for that amount, I am fine with it, but I am not certain they will do that.

Yeah ... from what I'm trying to say, is too hard to write it. Would be waiy eaister saying it in person. If the Cubs can get Cespedes for 8.3 million, I say go for it and get Soler too.

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
Rumors out of the DR today that the Cubs are making a very very big play for Jorge Soler.

That's good, but no surprise.

Northside_slugger

Liked Posts:
Cespedes signs with... OAKLAND.

Per several reporters on twitter.

Now that is a surprise!

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Cubs outbidded by OAK... #rickettscheap!!!!

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Here's the deal...why are you going to spend that much money on an outfielder who isn't going to significantly improve the club's chances of contention within his contract window? If the Cubs had wanted to contend now, they would've thrown money at Fielder, Pujols, CJ Wilson, Buehrle, and everyone else in between before going after Cespedes. They would've had a $250MM payroll, but they could've contended again for the next couple years before falling into the same fail they've been in for the past couple seasons :lol:

Billy Beane just got an extension, suggesting that the A's might be able to get out of their funk at some point and with the proposed move to San Jose and a new stadium in the mix, they will probably have some future money.

Now...to the new thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.