1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Not what I was getting at, but elaborating over a minor thing isn't worth my time, considering I want Cespedes too.

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
:obama:

It doesn't fucking matter how someone's swing looks. All that matters is how well they can produce with it. This isn't a hard concept.

For someone all caught up in sabermetrics and not advocating the eye test on most occasions, you should know better than this.

:obama:

Not what I was getting at, but elaborating over a minor thing isn't worth my time, considering I want Cespedes too.

How is that not what you were getting at? You clearly stated it.

Elaborating over anything must not be your time since you never have elaborated over anything other than how many minor league soccer teams Chicago has.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
This is the Cespedes thread. All your Cespedes talk are belong to this thread.

If the Cubs decide to really sign Cespedes to a 6-year/$60MM contract, it's not because they think he's a two-win player, it's because they think he'll be much more than that. You don't give a 2-win player a multi-year contract. And despite his swing (which doesn't actually matter unless he produces) and the scouting videos, the Cubs have to project how well he'd do at MLB. They have more information so we'll hope that whatever they end up spending is reasonable and that they're ultimately right about Cespedes should they choose to throw in that bid.

However, Captain Obvious was correct that the international free agency spending limits has no age restriction, so if Cespedes were available next year he wouldn't be signed for more than the MLB-imposed cap. At the same time, that doesn't mean there's a pressing need to overpay for Cespedes even if the money is available.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I give a fuck how his swing looks. If you notice some of the best hitters in the leagues(Pujols and Mauer come to mind) have the best mechanics. Flaws in the swing = holes that MLB pitchers can exploit. If you want balls in play and driven deep, mechanics are where it starts at. Not hard to figure that out.

there are a ton of players that have a sweet swing that cant hit the ball out of the infield let alone the park. put the crack pipe down.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
there are a ton of players that have a sweet swing that cant hit the ball out of the infield let alone the park. put the crack pipe down.

This is what I was getting at. The reverse of how he was looking at it. The swing is not the part that matters.

Plus his swing isn't that good anyway. :shrug:

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
How is that not what you were getting at? You clearly stated it.

Elaborating over anything must not be your time since you never have elaborated over anything other than how many minor league soccer teams Chicago has.

Chicago has no minor league soccer teams. Anything below the United Soccer Leagues Professional Division is amateur and therefore does not count. We have no United Soccer Leagues Professional Division or North American Soccer League teams. Major League Soccer Reserve League isn't exactly a minor league, but you could count it and the Chicago Fire Reserves as one. And Major League Soccer is quite clearly a major league and you are completely oblivious to the changing sports business market and economy if you deny that. The league now has higher per-game attendances than the NBA and NHL and that number is going up again this year. Montreal is joining the league, Portland, who sells out every game, is expanding their stadium, Houston got a soccer specific stadium, etc. TV Ratings are low, yes, yet they still managed to strike a huge deal with NBC, and between English and Espanol, 26% of MLS games will be nationally televised.

Worldwide, it is one of the best attended leagues in the world. The Indian Premier League (Twenty20 Cricket) is probably ahead of it too, but no attendance figures are available for it.

1. National Football League 67,394
5. Major League Baseball 30,352
7. Canadian Football League 27,785
8. Mexican Primera Division 25,837
16. Major League Soccer 17,872
18. National Basketball Association 17,319
20. National Hockey League 17,126

It stacks up quite well against other North American Major Leagues actually. 33% of our fanbase is Hispanic and league ratings usually only include English broadcasts, which accounts for its proportionately low ratings.

And MLS stadium capacity only averages about 200 more seats than the NBA and NHL, it isn't that big of a difference (teams playing in football stadiums only have leased a small portion of the seats, with the exception of Seattle).

So before you say something Special person about something you know nothing about again, just the shut the fuck up.

bleacherbum54

GoCubsGo
Liked Posts:
George ofman is saying the soxs are still players in this no surprise IMO.

georgeofman George ofman
Now that cespedes is free agent, Cubs will have to outbid Tigers and yes, the White Sox.

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Well now you're getting into an issue of power and that's a different argument. However, I bet you can't find a player that doesn't have a flaw that sucks. Having a perfect or near perfect swing will take you places in the MLB.

This is what I was getting at. The reverse of how he was looking at it. The swing is not the part that matters.

Plus his swing isn't that good anyway. :shrug:

Are you fucking high? His swing isn't that good? Have you seen it? I'm not so sure that you have... [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2tFjEBE1bg"]here.[/ame] He has a beautiful swing. His hands are always moving forward and he strides with his foot. Show me a flaw with that swing. The swing certainly does matter, because without a swing, he's not going to be able to hit. That's the key. We don't know how he will do vs. MLB pitching, although he's likely MLB or close to MLB ready. But if he had a shitty swing, which he doesn't, he wouldn't have as much chance for success.
Chicago has no minor league soccer teams. Anything below the United Soccer Leagues Professional Division is amateur and therefore does not count. We have no United Soccer Leagues Professional Division or North American Soccer League teams. Major League Soccer Reserve League isn't exactly a minor league, but you could count it and the Chicago Fire Reserves as one. And Major League Soccer is quite clearly a major league and you are completely oblivious to the changing sports business market and economy if you deny that. The league now has higher per-game attendances than the NBA and NHL and that number is going up again this year. Montreal is joining the league, Portland, who sells out every game, is expanding their stadium, Houston got a soccer specific stadium, etc. TV Ratings are low, yes, yet they still managed to strike a huge deal with NBC, and between English and Espanol, 26% of MLS games will be nationally televised.

Worldwide, it is one of the best attended leagues in the world. The Indian Premier League (Twenty20 Cricket) is probably ahead of it too, but no attendance figures are available for it.

1. National Football League 67,394
5. Major League Baseball 30,352
7. Canadian Football League 27,785
8. Mexican Primera Division 25,837
16. Major League Soccer 17,872
18. National Basketball Association 17,319
20. National Hockey League 17,126

It stacks up quite well against other North American Major Leagues actually. 33% of our fanbase is Hispanic and league ratings usually only include English broadcasts, which accounts for its proportionately low ratings.

And MLS stadium capacity only averages about 200 more seats than the NBA and NHL, it isn't that big of a difference (teams playing in football stadiums only have leased a small portion of the seats, with the exception of Seattle).

So before you say something Special person about something you know nothing about again, just the shut the fuck up.

Blah, Blah, Blah, I didn't read this, but all I know is that you made my point for me.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well now you're getting into an issue of power and that's a different argument. However, I bet you can't find a player that doesn't have a flaw that sucks. Having a perfect or near perfect swing will take you places in the MLB.

Are you fucking high? His swing isn't that good? Have you seen it? I'm not so sure that you have... here. He has a beautiful swing. His hands are always moving forward and he strides with his foot. Show me a flaw with that swing. The swing certainly does matter, because without a swing, he's not going to be able to hit. That's the key. We don't know how he will do vs. MLB pitching, although he's likely MLB or close to MLB ready. But if he had a shitty swing, which he doesn't, he wouldn't have as much chance for success.

Blah, Blah, Blah, I didn't read this, but all I know is that you made my point for me.

his swing isnt all what you are making it out to be. style points dont land you nice numbers in the MLB.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
his swing isnt pretty at all ImO

i agree, there is one angle that i saw that it looked good, but as far as an overall swing and watching him, his swing really isnt that big of a deal. i would still like him on the sox, but if he is going to get all that money for someone who raked in a pony league who is not really a prospect, the cubs can have him. im worried KW might want to make this move as a PR move which would mean overpaying.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
^ Don't let CO hear that :lol: (Bleacherbum)

bleacherbum54

GoCubsGo
Liked Posts:
I would take a Scott Rolen or Kevin Youkilis short compact swings over the long out of control swing any day. Players with long swings that know how to hit I will take but this guy doesnt seem like he has major holes in his swing.

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
his swing isnt all what you are making it out to be. style points dont land you nice numbers in the MLB.

It's not that stylish of a swing. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_xDVWfTkuc]Yoenis Cespedes first HR - YouTube[/ame]

Watch that. He has an incredibly quick swing. It's also very compact. The "long" part is his follow through.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2tFjEBE1bg]CUBA Céspedes's HomeRun [/ame]

That shows that same thing. It's the hands. He doesn't move them back, they're always moving forward. His only problem, which really isn't a problem, is the follow through.

bleacherbum54

GoCubsGo
Liked Posts:
I see a Andrew Jones type swing

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAFq3HcTgHo]Homerun Swing - Andrew Jones - YouTube[/ame]

when Andrew was on he was one of the best hitters but his swing had a lot of holes and when he was off he was a terrible hitter. I just dont get justifying all the $$ "because he has a pretty swing and can bench press 300lbs"

When in fact he has a bad swing

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
this is a sweet swing. stop getting confused

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwzLP5TbwtM&feature=related]Ken Griffey Jr. Tribute Mix - YouTube[/ame]

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I see a Andrew Jones type swing

Homerun Swing - Andrew Jones - YouTube

when Andrew was on he was one of the best hitters but his swing had a lot of holes and when he was off he was a terrible hitter. I just dont get justifying all the $$ "because he has a pretty swing and can bench press 300lbs"

When in fact he has a bad swing

there is nothing special about his swing

stop looking for these things to :fap: about.

Since you guys know so much, what is wrong with his swing then?

CubbyBear2290

Graham Dougie=UNBEATABLE!
Liked Posts:
I'm kind of wondering the same thing. I've played club baseball at SIU and work with the team. I'm trying to figure out the problem that you are seeing with the swing. Like many of you I've watched/been around baseball all my life.

But his swing has limited holes in it. It's just odd looking. His hands are fast, he squashes the bug, he's compact and powerful all the way through the followthrough, it's just has he comes around he seems to have a bit more of a "flare" to it. I'm not seeing this entirely holey swing as many people seem to be worried about.

He's just got a different swing like many players do. As there is no such thing as a "perfect" swing. They know what the ideal swing looks like. But not every guy can/does do it, as everyone has different preferences of how they swing and and what is comfortable.

Status
Not open for further replies.