Yoenis Cespedes Granted Free Agency

Status
Not open for further replies.

bleacherbum54

GoCubsGo
Liked Posts:
DKnobler DKnobler
Teams are waiting for the OK to start bidding on Cespedes. There's still a feeling that Cespedes really doesn't want to go to Marlins.

he sited the reason being he didnt want to play in Miami. So looks like we are the favorites yuck.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
he sited the reason being he didnt want to play in Miami. So looks like we are the favorites yuck.

The deal needs to be for 5-6 years and that'll spread out the $35MM or so they should invest (maximum) on Cespedes. Anything more and he'd need to be pretty damned good to justify it.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
i think one of the teams should get him. i think the cubs will, and i think its a good thing for cub fans.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
i think one of the teams should get him. i think the cubs will, and i think its a good thing for cub fans.

I agree it has a medium-risk/high-reward ceiling as Cespedes won't be getting paid super-stupid money. I just would like the Cubs to be prudent with their wallet here, but hey, it's not MY money :D

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
MLB has informed teams that Cuban outfielder Yoenis Cespedes is now a free agent, Ben Badler of Baseball America reports. Cespedes, a client of Adam Katz of Wasserman Media Group, recently gained residency in the Dominican Republic.

Earlier this week, it appeared that the Cubs, Marlins, and Tigers were the teams most actively targeting Cespedes. The White Sox, Orioles, Indians, Yankees, Phillies, Blue Jays and Rangers also appear to have some interest in Cespedes, but the Nationals aren’t involved.

Cubs get him?

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm going to move this to rumors until he's signed. Nobody panic!

Capt. Serious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
i hear this could be considered a "big splash" according to CO. :rolleyes:

2 yrs, 5 mil.

th_ssst.gif

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Jackson, Cespedes, Dejesus. Hope Bjax and Cespedes pan out.

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
do you know the def of a big splash? you are delusional kid.

You have to take into account the new CBA, though. We'll never be able to do this with another IFA. You don't consider Darvish a big splash. That's basically the same contract. Of course there is no posting fee, but he'd be an equal contract with far less experience(meaning he has played at a lower level.) Sure, it's borderline, but it's a big signing nonetheless, plus when you take into account that we'll likely get Soler and Concepcion too.

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
He's going to get more than Chapman, so you can throw that thought out right away.

Uman85

Oh Yeah.
Donator
Liked Posts:
You have to take into account the new CBA, though. We'll never be able to do this with another IFA. You don't consider Darvish a big splash. That's basically the same contract. Of course there is no posting fee, but he'd be an equal contract with far less experience(meaning he has played at a lower level.) Sure, it's borderline, but it's a big signing nonetheless, plus when you take into account that we'll likely get Soler and Concepcion too.

:obama:

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well we do have the money to get all three. and it's no secret that the Cubs want all three.

Il break it down real simple for ya.

As your posts are sometimes all over the map and contradict themselves alot, and the fact that you use only Metrics and nothing else it is annoying to read but atleast you dont just post "cawks" or something dumb. I may disagree with EVERYTHING you say but I will give you that much. Which is giving you a lot.

2nd, you bounce from flavor of the (day,week,month,year etc) hence your post i quoted. You believe that the cubs witl get (insert player(s) here) and argue how they are and how the sources are wrong and everyone is wrong and CO is right yada yada yada........it gets old. Please stop being such a kaplan of message boards.

now, you wont get all 3. wanna sig bet for another year?

Captain Obvious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Il break it down real simple for ya.

As your posts are sometimes all over the map and contradict themselves alot, and the fact that you use only Metrics and nothing else it is annoying to read but atleast you dont just post "cawks" or something dumb. I may disagree with EVERYTHING you say but I will give you that much. Which is giving you a lot.

2nd, you bounce from flavor of the (day,week,month,year etc) hence your post i quoted. You believe that the cubs witl get (insert player(s) here) and argue how they are and how the sources are wrong and everyone is wrong and CO is right yada yada yada........it gets old. Please stop being such a kaplan of message boards.

now, you wont get all 3. wanna sig bet for another year?

Where did I once say we'd get all three? I said likely, probably should have said favored. I don't think we'll get all three, I think we'll get two. But that doesn't mean that we aren't a playing in all three and that doesn't mean that we can't get all three.

The fact of the matter is that the Cubs are in an excellent position financially right now. We have wiggle room that most other teams just do not have. If it comes to the deadline and we're somehow in contention we can go out and get the big bat(Hanley? whoever) or big arm. We have the farm system and financial resources to get things done.

Now was I wrong about Fielder? Hell yeah I was. But that was before anyone, probably even Theo himself knew that he was coming to the Cubs. You have to look at things in a different light when you have Theo Epstein running your team as opposed to Jim Hendry. I did like Hendry, yes. But he's no Theo.

Sure, we probably won't get all three. But the point still remains that we can and could get them. Again, it all goes back to the new CBA, which I feel partially impacted the Fielder thing. This is our last chance to use our big market-ness to our advantage. In the future, the suckier teams will have the advantage, not us. Theo is all about getting an advantage where there is an inefficiency. This is it. This right here is our chance to capitalize, don't think that Theo is going to take it lightly.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Where did I once say we'd get all three? I said likely, probably should have said favored. I don't think we'll get all three, I think we'll get two. But that doesn't mean that we aren't a playing in all three and that doesn't mean that we can't get all three.

The fact of the matter is that the Cubs are in an excellent position financially right now. We have wiggle room that most other teams just do not have. If it comes to the deadline and we're somehow in contention we can go out and get the big bat(Hanley? whoever) or big arm. We have the farm system and financial resources to get things done.

Now was I wrong about Fielder? Hell yeah I was. But that was before anyone, probably even Theo himself knew that he was coming to the Cubs. You have to look at things in a different light when you have Theo Epstein running your team as opposed to Jim Hendry. I did like Hendry, yes. But he's no Theo.

Sure, we probably won't get all three. But the point still remains that we can and could get them. Again, it all goes back to the new CBA, which I feel partially impacted the Fielder thing. This is our last chance to use our big market-ness to our advantage. In the future, the suckier teams will have the advantage, not us. Theo is all about getting an advantage where there is an inefficiency. This is it. This right here is our chance to capitalize, don't think that Theo is going to take it lightly.

really? are you seriously going there? cmon man.

Status
Not open for further replies.