Your Expectations for Trubisky this season....

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
run and shoot said:

EXACTLY!!!
That's what frustrated me about him. When he was drafted with only one year of starting experience, vs. us going after a Watson or a Mahomes.......I kept hearing
'Trubs is sooo ACCURATE'.

Then I see what you've stated happening over & over again. I'm like.. NO this guy not ACCURATE

When he has time, he is accurate. Most of his accuracy issues were due to thinking too much and not having mastered the offense yet last season. Even if a WR is open deep, when your mind is going 100 mph, you're not going to throw accurately all the time.

As a rookie, ok. But that excuse will not work for a guy going into his 3rd yr. who we moved up in the 1st round to pick

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Trubisky showed that he was able to improve throughout the season just based on last season. His first three games (Packers, Seahawks and Cardinals) were terrible. 2 passing Td's and 3ints. Then came the next three games (Bucs, phins and Pats) 11 Tds to 3 ints. Mitch should be great next season. He seems to adapt well

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
IMO....all things equal, if our "D" plays anywhere close to 2018 and we can't help them by
consistently putting up 3 TD's/ game, then we need to have a serious discussion about the "O" and the Qb position

The "D".....only allowed 17.7 pts. a game

bears5150

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Here is a sign for you about Trubisky, if the shit is hitting the fan and the Bears are in a dog fight does Trubs have the onions with 1:40 on the clock to put this team on his shoulders and drive 80 yards for the win. Show me you are the Franchise QB some thought you were.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
My comment about Trubs comparing to them was not about their expectations coming into the NFL but their actual early play where they didn't necessarily put up huge numbers but generally played well when it mattered most.

Good stuff. Brady's first full year as a starter...leads the NFL in TDs, 3rd in pass attempts....didn't put up the numbers, tho....(6th round pick, tho)....

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
They are just on the low end of the scale but doesnt mean Wilson and Brady were not game managers initially. The determination is based on how the teams played IMO which was play great D and limit mistakes. Wilson and Brady just executed better than guys like Dilfer.

This has the be the dumbest football thought ever posited on CCS. I am hoping somewhere there is a Hall of Fame for stuff like this, or maybe just wait until Brady is enshrined in Canton and tell the plaque-maker to engrave the words "Brady just executed better than Trent Dilfer" under his bust.

I don't think I've ever seen a finer "damning with faint praise" example. The fact that it is in reference to the greatest QB of all-time makes it all the more astounding. "Michael Jordan could score points, but so could a lot of NBA players. Jordan just executed better than guys like Adrian Dantley."

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Penn State Nittany Lions
I saw who you listed. They are just on the low end of the scale but doesnt mean Wilson and Brady were not game managers initially. The determination is based on how the teams played IMO which was play great D and limit mistakes. Wilson and Brady just executed better than guys like Dilfer.

Executed as game managers better than Dilfer when? The first 1-2 years of their career? By the time they got to the SB and won it they were MORE than game managers yes? Otherwise why reference the ultimate game managing QB to win a SB in Dilfer?

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
This has the be the dumbest football thought ever posited on CCS. I am hoping somewhere there is a Hall of Fame for stuff like this, or maybe just wait until Brady is enshrined in Canton and tell the plaque-maker to engrave the words "Brady just executed better than Trent Dilfer" under his bust.

I don't think I've ever seen a finer "damning with faint praise" example. The fact that it is in reference to the greatest QB of all-time makes it all the more astounding. "Michael Jordan could score points, but so could a lot of NBA players. Jordan just executed better than guys like Adrian Dantley."

I expect Brady to actually use this in his enshrinement speech.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
I expect Brady to actually use this in his enshrinement speech.

I think the nebulous terminology of 'executed better' just adds to the awesomeness. You can't really pinpoint any concrete reason why Brady is better than Dilfer...all you can say is that Brady 'executed better', as if random chance allowed Brady to succeed at a higher level than Dilfer.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Good stuff. Brady's first full year as a starter...leads the NFL in TDs, 3rd in pass attempts....didn't put up the numbers, tho....(6th round pick, tho)....

How dumb can anyone be to even try to compare Trubisky to Tom "fucking" Brady? The actual GOAT.....Geesh.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange

Another year of steady improvement from Mitchell Trubisky could vault the Chicago Bears to new heights. Could the young quarterback go even further and re-write a few single-season records?
All this discussion and hand-wringing among Chicago Bears fans about swapping stalwarts like Jordan Howard, Adrian Amos and Bryce Callahan with fairly uninspiring replacements probably seems pretty relevant right now while there’s not much else to talk about.
But none of the players leaving or arriving this off-season, including those in the draft, will likely make or break the Bears’ season in 2019.
The star-studded defense will survive just fine as long as the better of their two safeties, Eddie Jackson, stays healthy and Buster Skrine is simply average. And the Bears offense got by fine without Howard playing particularly well last year.
Those guys don’t hold the cards of the Bears’ destiny. Quarterback Mitchell Trubisky does.
Chicago’s hopeful franchise quarterback gave fans a taste of his promising potential in 2018, putting up 3,223 yards, 24 touchdowns, and a 95.4 passer rating despite some up-and-down moments and two games missed due to injury. He also put together a gutsy playoff performance against the Philadelphia Eagles in the Wildcard Round that would’ve resulted in a win if not for Cody Parkey.
All of that came in Trubisky’s first year under head coach Matt Nagy’s offensive system. With his offensive line completely intact and his receiving corps almost the same, his second season should be even better.
Here are a few expectations I’ve laid out for Trubisky in 2019, assuming health. Some of them are more statistical in nature (passing yards, touchdown passes, etc.). Some involve more fundamental aspects of his play that will help him become more efficient (and hopefully) put up better numbers. All should be well within his grasp based on what we saw from him last year.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Holy shit, i did not realize he threw more deep balls then anyone but Josh Allen last year.

Trubisky completed just 38.5 percent of his throws longer than 20 yards last season and got picked off on more than eight percent of those throws. Those numbers came along with the fact that he threw more deep balls than anyone but Josh Allen in 2018. That’s…not great.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
Bears single-season passing records aren't all that great, but Trubisky hasn't really erased Jay Cutler's name from the Chicago Bears 'record book', so I'm not understanding the "rewrite a few records" part, because he has yet to rewrite a single record. Trubisky threw for 3200 yards...who cares. He threw for 24 TDs...the same number Sid Luckman threw for in 1947. Great!

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Executed as game managers better than Dilfer when? The first 1-2 years of their career? By the time they got to the SB and won it they were MORE than game managers yes? Otherwise why reference the ultimate game managing QB to win a SB in Dilfer?

Yes I specifically said early in their careers. All you have to do is google Tom Brady and game manager and you will see all sorts of articles on the subject most of them coming out of Boston. Brady all but admitted it at times including in the 3rd article below and Bob Ryan (ie one of the most influential Boston columnists also said it). So not sure why you guys acting confused that was his rep early on.

https://sports.yahoo.com/kind-quarterback-tom-brady-now-161845773.html

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/new-england-patriots/alex-smith-‘game-manager’-tag-high-praise

https://www.radio.com/articles/weei...ew-england-patriots-being-too-afraid-mistakes

https://www.boston.com/sports/new-england-patriots/2018/11/27/tom-brady-patriots-jets

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2018/...aaron-rodgers-greatest-quarterback-generation

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BradTo00.htm

I was working in Boston from 2003 to 2010 and it was a common topic at the time. He didn't start putting up big numbers until Moss and Welker arrived and that is when his rep started to change. The first Super Bowl, his QB rating in the regular season was 86.5 with less than a 2 to 1 Int ratio and in the playoffs it was 77.3 with 1 TD and I Int. He was a game manager. Some of ya'll apparently don't remember the history or talk about him.

Last edited:

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
“(He) is not a gunslinger... Only occasionally does he try to beat you by going over the top... He is one part pigskin surgeon, one part pigskin shop foreman, and one part pigskin efficiency expert. He is a game manager who simply has the knack of making a little go a long way in a football game.” – Bob Ryan, Boston Globe, January 20, 2002

http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/...ell-wilson-a-game-manager-just-like-tom-brady

It is amazing how people forget history. You will note the above quote about Brady was being used to compare Russell Wilson to him. No one suggested they are game managers now. I simply said that was the rap on them early in their careers and have provided the evidence to prove it. That is all.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
Yes I specifically said early in their careers. All you have to do is google Tom Brady and game manager and you will see all sorts of articles on the subject most of them coming out of Boston. Brady all but admitted it at times including in the 3rd article below and Bob Ryan (ie one of the most influential Boston columnists also said it). So not sure why you guys acting confused that was his rep early on.

https://sports.yahoo.com/kind-quarterback-tom-brady-now-161845773.html

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/new-england-patriots/alex-smith-‘game-manager’-tag-high-praise

https://www.radio.com/articles/weei...ew-england-patriots-being-too-afraid-mistakes

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2018/...aaron-rodgers-greatest-quarterback-generation

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BradTo00.htm

I was working in Boston from 2003 to 2010 and it was a common topic at the time. He didn't start putting up big numbers until Moss and Welker arrived and that is when his rep started to change. The first Super Bowl, his QB rating in the regular season was 86.5 with less than a 2 to 1 Int ratio and in the playoffs it was 77.3 with 1 TD and I Int. He was a game manager. Some of ya'll apparently don't remember the history or talk about him.

Good stuff. Brady's first full year as a starter...leads the NFL in TDs, 3rd in pass attempts. Game manager.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
“(He) is not a gunslinger... Only occasionally does he try to beat you by going over the top... He is one part pigskin surgeon, one part pigskin shop foreman, and one part pigskin efficiency expert. He is a game manager who simply has the knack of making a little go a long way in a football game.” – Bob Ryan, Boston Globe, January 20, 2002

http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/...ell-wilson-a-game-manager-just-like-tom-brady

It is amazing how people forget history. You will note the above quote about Brady was being used to compare Russell Wilson to him. No one suggested they are game managers now. I simply said that was the rap on them early in their careers and have provided the evidence to prove it. That is all.

The irony/stupidity is that Bob Ryan's moronic comment (thought Ryan was the basketball writer, and Will McDonough was the football writer) is from January 20, 2002...the previous day, Tom Brady won a playoff game by completing 32 passes in 52 attempts. Definitely a game manager, tho.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Good stuff. Brady's first full year as a starter...leads the NFL in TDs, 3rd in pass attempts. Game manager.

What does this have to do with him having a passer rating below 80 during the first playoff run? Or the fact that it was multiple people who said it at the time.

The irony/stupidity is that Bob Ryan's moronic comment (thought Ryan was the basketball writer, and Will McDonough was the football writer) is from January 20, 2002...the previous day, Tom Brady won a playoff game by completing 32 passes in 52 attempts. Definitely a game manager, tho.

I love how you ignore the 6 yards per pass attempt, 70.4 QB rating, and the 16 points scored. They won of course because of the fumble/non-fumble against the Raiders. They were dinking and doinking. I also love how you ignore the 18 pass attempts the following game and the 115 yards passing. As well as the 145 yards passing in the SB in a dome. He was a game manager. In 17 games that season, he cracked 250 yards 3 times and had less than 200 yards 8 times including 2 out of 3 playoff games. Not sure why it is amazing to say a guy who couldn't crack 200 yards in over half his games was a game manager.